Skip navigation

I’m Does my contents policy cover me for Christmas gifts?

Q: Christmas is approaching and I’m being bought a brand-new TV and entertainment system. Do I need to tell my insurance provider straight away, or even at all? And if so, what steps should I take?

Gareth Lane is head of home insurance at He says:

A: Most insurance providers will automatically increase the level of your standard home contents insurance cover over the Christmas period.

This ensures that all the gifts you have bought and received are safe and sound.

However, while many insurers increase the level of cover by up to 10 per cent this amount will vary between providers.

Also, the period of time this increased cover lasts is normally two weeks - either side of Christmas day - but again, this will vary depending on your insurer.

So what do I have to do?

So, the best thing to do if you find yourself in this situation is speak to your insurer as soon as possible after Christmas and update the value of your household contents accordingly.

Also, remember that this increased cover is only valid for your items while they're in your home.

So if you're lucky enough to get the latest camera, tablet or phone, it won't be covered if you take it outside.

You'll need to update your insurance policy if you want such additional cover.

Compare home insurance - you could find a great deal in minutes Get a home quote

Search staff writer


Content produced by one of our helpful staff writers.

More staff writers' articles