You are here:

Learner driver insurance

Compare learner driver insurance with

A small white car with a learner plate
Get a car quote
Takes about 5 mins
Quote short-term

  • Click 'GET A CAR QUOTE' to use and compare insurance quotes for learner drivers insurance from different providers

  • Click 'Quote short-term' to visit Admiral and get a quote for short-term learner insurance that allows learners to practice in a friend’s or family car without risking the insurance of the car owner
  • What you need to know about learner driver insurance

    Learning to drive can be a stressful and expensive experience. The cost of a car, professional lessons, fuel, tax, insurance and tests can quickly add up, so finding a way to check all these boxes at the best price is a priority for many new drivers.

    • The Driving Standards Agency recommends 47 hours of professional tuition, as well as around 20 hours of additional practice for new drivers, before taking a test.
    • Most professional driving schools will include insurance in the cost of their lessons, but if you can get additional practice with a friend or family member, it can really help speed up the process of learning to drive.
    • If you're practicing in your own car, or a friend or relative's car, you’re going to need a learner driver insurance policy. This can be a full 12-month policy, starting on your provisional licence and updating when you pass your test. Or you can get a temporary/short-term policy, designed to cover you specifically while you're learning.
    • Insurance companies base the premiums they charge on how much of a risk they believe a person – and the car they drive – to be. So there’s little wonder that learner drivers often struggle to find competitive insurance premiums.
    • You'll also pay different premiums based on the level of cover you choose, which you can read more about in our guide to the car insurance policy types. can help you find great prices for both regular, 12-month policies and short-term learner driver cover. Use 'Get a car quote' above to start comparing full policies. Or use the ‘Quote short-term’ button to visit our partner, Admiral, for a provisional licence insurance quote.

    If you're still looking into learning to drive, you can find information to help you with the steps involved in our guide - Learning to drive.

    Comparing insurance with compare hundreds of car insurance quotes from dozens of top UK insurance providers every day, many of whom are able to offer learner driver policies.

    A standard learner driver car insurance policy compared through runs for a full 12 month period, during which you can learn to drive and pass your test, at which point it becomes a standard insurance policy (once you've let your insurer know you've passed your test). Just select UK provisional when telling us your licence type during the quote process to get prices for you as a learner driver.

    • We compare prices from top insurance providers across the UK, and you can sort your results based on what’s most important to you, whether that’s the price, who provides the insurance, or the policy benefits.
    • Clicking on 'Get a car quote' at the top of the page uses to compare prices on full length policies from lots of different insurance providers offering cover for learner car insurance.
    • We also compare quotes from providers of telematics policies, which involve fitting a small black box to your car to monitor your driving habits. These policies are designed for younger drivers and can work out a cheaper way to get insured. You can visit our telematics explained page for more information on how these policies work, or find the policies available to you on the policy prices page once you’ve run a quote (just look out for those policies listed as 'black box insurance').

    Short-term learner driver insurance from Admiral

    With Admiral learner driver insurance you can buy short-term additional cover from 2 hours through to 90 days. This means you can legally drive while you learn in a parent, guardian, relative or friend’s car without affecting their existing policy.

    What’s more, the main policyholder doesn’t need to be insured with Admiral. You can add learner driver insurance onto any other main car insurance policy.

    Here are just some of the great benefits and features you’ll get with Admiral:

    • Car owner’s no-claims bonus won’t be affected if you need to make a claim.
    • Instant cover – enter the car registration, postcode of where it’s kept and your relationship to the owner to get your quote. Cover can start immediately.
    • No curfew – you can drive day and night to make sure you get in all the practice you need before your test.
    • Voted by consumers as the UK’s best car insurance provider four years running (Personal Finance Awards).

    Admiral learner driver insurance offers flexible short-term cover for provisional licence holders who want to learn to drive with someone they know, in a familiar car. And it could be cheaper than being added to an existing policy as a named driver. QuickQuote Logo

    Buying a car? Get a price for your insurance in seconds

    Used before? Try our FREE QuickQuote app to get insurance prices for different cars while on the go.

    Or log in to retrieve your previous quotes

    Short term learner driver insurance is arranged and administered by EUI Limited (trading as Admiral), who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Ty Admiral, David Street, Cardiff, CF10 2EH. Registered in England and Wales, No 2686904.