1. Home
  2. Home insurance

Moving house checklist: What to do when you move into a new home

Reduce stress and plan ahead with our moving house checklist.

House mover checking a list when packing

By this point, you've probably have navigated most of the maze of admin that comes with buying a house.

You've saved for your deposit, you've compared your mortgage options (if not, we've got more info on comparing mortgages) and you've exchanged contracts.

And even after the chaos and confusion of buying and selling a house, you still need to pack up and move. But moving house doesn’t need to be a headache.

When you move house, those small things like remembering to change the address on your TV licence should make the move go a lot smoother.


Things to do when moving house

Work and schools

When you’re in the early stages of planning your home move, say two months ahead, you should book sufficient time off work both sides of moving day.

If you have children and you’re moving to a completely new area, you’ll also need to apply for a new school. Make sure you check that all the paperwork is in order for this.

You should let the old school know that your child is leaving too.

If your children attends a private school and they’re moving somewhere else, you usually need to give a term’s notice. If you don’t, you may have to pay for the following term as well, even if they’re no longer attending.



Don’t be too sentimental – the more you can get rid of now, the less you’ll have to sort out when you reach your new home.

You can take old clothes, toys and general brick-a-back to the charity shop.

Certain charity shops will even take bigger items like furniture or electrical goods. What they’re not interested in can go to your local recycling centre.

But there’s also the possibility of selling your second-hand items through online marketplaces like eBay or Gumtree.

You might be pleasantly surprised with the offers you get. It’s a good idea to start decluttering in the early planning stages of your move.


Book a removals company

Ideally you want to try and book the removal firm and order some packing boxes eight to six weeks prior to your move.

Removal firms can usually be relatively flexible if you need to change the exact moving date later.

If you need to look into self storage, it’s also worth starting to look into this about two months prior to the move.


Confirm your moving dates

The earlier you can confirm your moving dates the better.

Though if you’re buying or selling a house you may need to start off with an approximate date and plan around that.

If you’re buying a property, then completion day – when you get your hands on the keys to your new home – is typically between seven and 28 days after your solicitor exchanges contracts.


If you’re renting give appropriate notice to your landlord

If you’re renting you should ideally have your moving date confirmed before you give the usual four weeks’ notice to your landlord or letting agent, depending on the wording of your rental agreement.

Should the move-in date be delayed for any reason, and you need to stay a little longer, you can explain this to the landlord in writing and give them the new date when you expect to leave.


Make sure you have the right level of home insurance before you move house

Contents insurance is designed to insure the contents of your home against loss, damage and theft.

You should have protection if there’s a break-in as well as if your property is damaged due to fire, flood and water leaks.

If you’re buying a property, you’ll also need buildings insurance so the property itself is covered against any such events.

Homeowners can choose home insurance policies that combine both contents and buildings cover.

You should make sure your new house will be covered by your home insurance policy from the day you move in.

If you’re buying a property and want to be extra cautious, you can set the policy to start from the day you exchange contracts.

It’s worth comparing home insurance quotes for your new home so you get a good deal. Once you’ve moved out of your old house, don’t forget to cancel the home insurance policy on that property.

Compare home insurance quotes


Pack everything and label the boxes

Removal firms should give you the option of whether you want them to do all the packing, to include all your clothing and kitchen utensils for instance.

Most people opt to do this sort of packing themselves. In any case, removal firms should normally supply as many flat cardboard boxes as you need along with the packing tape to make the boxes up.

Once you’ve sealed them, label them with the room you want them to be in and a brief description of the contents.

It makes things much easier for you if the removal team can take each box to the right room in your new home on removal day.

Make note of any boxes that are heavy, fragile or contain any high value items.

You may also want to get quick access to certain items once you’ve arrived at the new house – you don’t want to have to open eight different boxes before you find the TV controller.


Change of address checklist

Royal Mail

This is right at the top of our change of address checklist.

Forgetting to take out the Royal Mail redirection service could mean you miss important mail.

You should try to change as many addresses as possible quickly, but if you forget any, then the Royal Mail redirection is your safety net.

It’s a temporary service, so you’ll still need to make all the address changes in the end.

You can choose between a 6 and 12-month redirection service and even redirect mail overseas.


Banks and insurers

It’s important to change your address details with banks, building societies, insurers and pensions providers.

You need to get a list together of all the accounts, credit cards, loans, pensions and insurance policies linked to your household.

You’ll also have to change the address on your:

  • Car insurance

  • Home insurance

  • Life insurance

  • Pet insurance

  • Health insurance

Changing the address on your car insurance policy is a top priority as the terms of the policy itself is partly determined by your address.

Where you live and where you keep your car at night are among the things that can determine the premium you pay.


Driving licence and car ownership

Updating the address on your driving licence and car ownership certificate (V5c) held by the DVLA is relatively straightforward to do online.

But you could be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA when you change address.


TV licence

You can easily change the address on your TV licence through the TV licensing website.

Remember, only one licence is needed per household.

If you’re moving in with someone, one of you might be able to cancel an existing licence.


GP and health

Don’t wait to register with a new GP until you need one. You can find out where to go through the NHS portal.

Once you’ve registered, the new GP can get your records transferred over from your old one.

If you’ve moved into a different area, you should also register with a new dentist and if applicable an optician. Not to forget the local vet.


Council tax and electoral roll

You’ll need to register for council tax at the new house and deregister with the local authority that covered the old address.

Your previous council should generate a bill and send it to your new address should there be anything left to pay.

If you’re moving into a newly built house, it’s a good idea to notify the new council a good few weeks in advance.

They should deliver the various bins that you’ll need for recycling and rubbish collection at the new address.

You must make sure that you and all members of your household over 18 are entered onto the electoral roll under the new address.



Make a list of all your subscriptions.

It’s worth spending some time on this as it’s so easy to overlook one.

There are a variety of subscriptions to remember, including local clubs and gyms. You may need to cancel some outright if you’re moving out of the local area and won’t be using them any more.

For others, like magazine subscriptions, you can update with your new address.

You may also have online subscriptions where the address needs to change.


Gas, electricity and water

Get on top of all the utilities so you don’t end up out of pocket – you don’t want to pay for someone else’s energy or water usage.

You must carry out meter readings for water, electricity and gas for both your old and new addresses – it’s worth taking photos to record the meter readings.

You should also compare gas and electricity prices and consider switching suppliers.

Doing this could make a big difference to your household running costs in the long run.


Broadband, phone and TV

There’s also your mobile phone, broadband and TV services to consider.

You need to get those address details updated, but now is a good time to consider switching providers.

Most broadband providers should allow you to move your connection to another property. Some might require you to sign up to a new 12, 18, or 24 month contract.

You could save money by comparing broadband prices – it may also work out cheaper to take out a bundle that includes broadband, mobile phone and/or TV under a single contract.


Employers, accountants and solicitors

You’re usually meant to inform your employer of an address change, you might not receive your payslips otherwise.

Tell your accountant or solicitor about your new address or important/confidential information could land at the old one instead.


Keep important documents safe

You should think about keeping documents safe as your move approaches.

The last thing you want is for critical paperwork to get lost or perhaps mistakenly thrown away in the move.

It could be well worth getting a lockbox – a container with a built-in-lock –to keep all your important documents and ID safe.

This could include things like birth certificates, contracts of employment, pension records and passports.


Get the essentials ready for your first night

Before you say goodbye to your old home, you should think about your first night at the new property.

Make sure any essentials are easy to get to. Some essential things should travel with you in your car rather than in the removal truck.

If there is anything especially valuable or fragile, it’s also a good idea to take this in your car too.

Along with your toothbrushes, some small kitchen items should go on the essentials list as well.

Like a kettle and some mugs as well as cutlery and plates – not to forget that bottle opener.

You probably won’t want to cook the first night, so you might need to look up the local takeaway options.


Moving into your new home

Before you set off, have a final walk around your old house and triple check that everything is packed.

Make sure you’ve arranged to collect the keys for the new house if you don’t already have them.

Once you arrive at the new house, you should take a good look around and check if everything is in order.

If it’s a rental property you should check everything against the inventory and take photos of any defects you notice and notify the landlord or the letting agent.

You don’t want to be held liable for any existing defects when you eventually move out.

If you’ve bought the property, you should still have a good look around.

If the previous owner has left anything in the property that they shouldn’t have, like an old washing machine, you may be able to get them to remove it.

Should the new house not have new locks, it’s a good idea to change them

You can now breathe, put the kettle on – or pour the champagne – and give yourself a celebratory fist pump.

You could also introduce yourself to your new neighbours.