1. Home
  2. Energy deals
  3. Guides
  4. Who is my gas and electricity supplier?

Who is my gas or electricity supplier?

It’s important you know who supplies the energy to your home. In this guide, we'll look at how to find your gas and/or electricity supplier.

Couple working out who their energy supplier is

There are a few reasons why you need to find out who supplies your gas and electricity. They are:

  • If you've just moved home: You need to contact your new home’s current supplier. You need to do this to set up your account, share a meter reading and organise bill payments. You must do this even if you intend to switch to another supplier.
  • In case you need help or support: If you run into problems with your gas or electricity, the first point of contact is your supplier.
  • If you wish to make a complaint: If you’re unhappy with your energy supplier, you must contact them first to allow them to resolve the complaint. They have up to 8 weeks to do so, after this you can contact the Energy Ombudsman.
  • If you want to switch to a better deal: When performing a Confused.com energy comparison, we need to know who your current supplier is. This means we can compare its tariffs with those from other suppliers to find you the best deal.

If you simply need a quick reminder, check a recent energy bill or open your email inbox, then search for ‘energy’, ‘electricity’ or ‘gas’.

If you have a smart meter, you may be able to find your supplier on here. Use the menu button to locate an ‘Account Information’ section, then use the arrow keys to move through each option until you find your supplier's name.

The same applies if you get your gas and electricity from 2 different suppliers. But you need to find the separate bills or letters from both of the companies. If you don't have these, we can help.

How do I find out who my gas supplier is?

If you can’t find your gas supplier, then the Find My Supplier website is the quickest way to find out.

Enter your postcode, then select your address from the drop-down menu. Click “Yes” when the confirmation window pops up and you should see the following information:

  • Meter Point Reference Number: You may need this when switching supplier or moving home.
  • Gas Supplier: The company that supplies your gas (and, if you’re on a dual-fuel tariff, your electricity too). This is the information you need
  • Gas Transporter: The company that physically distributes the gas to your home. It’s also responsible for maintaining the pipes to your property.

How do I find out who my electricity supplier is?

If you’re on a dual fuel tariff, use the Find My Supplier website to identify your gas supplier. This is also your electricity supplier.

If your electricity is supplied by a different company (or you don’t have a gas supply), then you need to do 2 things:

  • Find out who your electricity network distributor is using the Energy Networks website
  • Use the distributor's own tools to identify your supplier

There are 7 major electricity network distributors. Around 5 of these offer an online search tool to help you identify your electricity supplier:

Electricity network distributor Area covered Where to search
UK Power Networks
London, South East and Eastern England
National Grid
Midlands, South West England and South Wales
Electricity Northwest
North West England
Northern Powergrid
North East England
Scottish and Southern Energy
Southern England and Northern Scotland

Those living under SP Energy Networks (which covers Merseyside, Cheshire, North Shropshire and North Wales), need to visit the SP energy networks website. You then need to fill out a form with:

  • Your full contact details
  • The reason you're contacting them, so in this case it's to find our who your current supplier is

They should get back to you with this information by email or post.

If you live in Northern Ireland, you need to contact your distributor (Northern Ireland Electricity) directly. Call 03457 643643 between 8.30am-5.30pm, Monday to Friday. Or, visit its website to contact it via Facebook Live Chat, which is available from 7.30am-11.30pm, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Note: there are 14 electricity network distributors in total, and your area might be covered by a smaller distributor. Links to these can be found on the Energy Networks website.

If you’ve just moved into a new home, the previous occupants should have informed their supplier and provided a final meter reading. Look for a letter addressed to ‘The Occupier’ from an energy company. Open this to find out who supplies your home’s energy, and what to do about getting set up.

If there’s no letter, speak to the estate agent or previous owner. If you’re renting your home, speak to the letting agency or your landlord.

Use our moving home checklist to find out more about what to do about your energy supply when you move home.

This information should be on your most recent bill. If you have an online account with your supplier, you can also log on to your account to find details of your tariff.

Both gas and electricity are distributed through networks of pipes (gas) and transmission lines (electricity). Each network is split into 2 levels: at the national level, transmission operators are responsible for moving gas and electricity around the country. Then, distribution operators take over at a local level to carry energy directly into people’s homes via a local network of pipes and wires.

Distribution operators are also responsible for fixing problems in your local area like street-wide power cuts or gas leaks. There are 22 local distribution operators across the UK: 14 deliver electricity, and 8 transport gas.

You can switch gas and electric suppliers easily using our energy comparison tool. Also read our guide to switching your energy supplier.

Who owns my meter?

Your gas and/or electric supplier is responsible for your energy meters. If either the gas or electric meter develops a problem, contact your supplier, who will come and fix it. Note: if your meter is housed outside in a meter box, the box is your (or your landlord’s) responsibility, so look after it.

What is my MPAN/MPRN number?

You’ll need these when switching suppliers or moving house. They are:

  • MPAN (Meter Point Administration Number, or S Number): You’ll find this on your electricity bill – it’s 21 digits long and starts with ‘S’.
  • MPRN (Meter Point Reference Number, or M Number): This can be found on your gas bill or by using the Find My Supplier search tool.

Share this article