A backpackers insurance policy offers a longer trip duration and typically covers a broader range of activities than a standard insurance policy, so you could have greater peace of mind if your adventure is a little more ambitious than a normal holiday. Some backpackers policies can include features such as;
- Longer trip durations, offering up to 18 months' worth of uninterrupted travel - standard annual policies usually cover only around 31 days per trip
- Optional cover for activities such as bungee jumping and scuba diving.
- Some policies might offer cover for conservation or charity work, which could come in handy if you're volunteering on a gap year in Thailand or Borneo (check the small print)
- Medical treatment can be surprisingly expensive abroad, so your medical costs and repatriation back to the UK could be covered if you get ill or injured overseas
- Your personal belongings, money and travel documents could also be covered if they're lost/stolen (make sure you report within 24 hours and obtain a police report for proof)
- You could also be covered for delays and cancellations if your flights are postponed due to protests or if you’re forced to cancel your trip in an emergency
- Some policies also cover accident, liability and legal expenses which could be useful if you stumble into any trouble while abroad
- Get your travel insurance in advance - we found that in 2014, the majority of travel insurance quotes made through Confused.com were made a week before travelling and 17% bought the day before. If you leave it too late, you might not get the full benefit of cancellation cover!
- Make sure you read the terms and conditions of your policy, as well as policy exclusions to make sure that you’re covered (most policies won’t cover alcohol or drug related incidents).
- Consider taking a combination of cash, prepaid cards, debit and/or credit cards on your trip.
- Contact your GP to make sure you're up to date with your vaccinations and check if there are any specific jabs for the area you're going to.
- Plan and research your trip in advance, use GOV.UK's Foreign travel advice to get to know the local rules and regulations of the areas you're travelling to.
- Need help packing? Take a look at our top packing tips for your adventure holiday.
- Quicker than getting quotes for each provider separately.
- Easy to make policy comparisons.
- Get travel insurance, even when at the airport, as your policy documents could be emailed to you within one hour of purchase.
Our service is free and compares a wide range of trusted household names. Confused.com is an intermediary and receives commission from theidol.com if you decide to buy through our website which is based on a percentage of the total annual premium. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don't promote any one insurance provider over another.