Caravan insurance

Get an instant touring or static caravan insurance quote online with

What are the differences between static and touring caravans?

Static caravans are fixed in one place and will usually be found in caravan sites. Static caravans are generally used as holiday homes, so your
cover will be similar to a home insurance policy. 

Touring caravans are designed to be mobile and towed by a vehicle. Most car insurance policies won’t cover for damage caused to your
touring caravan, so you’ll need a separate policy to protect against damages. 

It’s important to know what type of caravan insurance policy you’re looking for. Remember that motorhomes are different again and need their
own type of policy. If you’re after a motorhome policy, we compare insurance quotes for these too.

Do I need caravan insurance?

You aren’t legally required to have caravan insurance, but it’s worth considering. Your car insurance probably won’t cover damage to your caravan while it’s being towed. So if your caravan was damaged in an accident caused by you, you’d have to pay for any damages or repairs.

If the accident wasn’t your fault, your caravan would only be covered by the other driver’s insurance policy if they have third-party liability cover. Every car insurance policy is different, which means you can’t be sure you’ll always be covered.

Touring caravans can also easily be stolen, and this is where caravan insurance can offer extra peace of mind. Ensuring you’re covered will make sure you aren’t left out of pocket.

What does caravan insurance cover?

Depending on the policy you choose, caravan insurance could cover you for:

  • Theft, if your caravan is stolen when it's detached from your car
  • Accidental damage either external or internal, due to an accident or bad weather
  • Stolen contents if your caravan is broken into and/or its contents are stolen or damaged
  • Third-party liability cover if a member of the public gets injured or the caravan damages someone's property

How much is caravan insurance?

The price for caravan insurance varies depending on the type of policy you choose, as well as any optional extras you add on. It’s important to understand exactly what type of caravan insurance you need, so you’re covered for anything that could affect you. Compare caravan insurance quotes to fully understand your needs.

What isn't included in caravan insurance?

Your insurance might not include everything, so it's important to check exactly what is and isn't covered.

Compare the policy details from each insurer before buying to check all the cover you need is included. If you've already got a policy, check the details for confirmation.

Caravan insurance might not cover you if:

  • A red cross

    Your caravan suffers damage or theft through lack of security, such as no wheel clamps or windows being left open

  • A red cross

    Damage is caused by everyday wear and tear

  • A red cross

    There's damage from mildew

  • A red cross

    Your caravan suffers damage or theft after you stored it at a location that wasn't approved by your insurer

  • A red cross

    Damage is caused by insect or vermin infestation

Get a quote

Get a caravan insurance quote in minutes

Got more questions? Our FAQs could help

Will I be covered if I take my caravan abroad?

This will depend on the type of policy you choose. You might need to take out extra cover. It’s best to check with your chosen insurer before you travel just to be sure.

What optional extras can I get with caravan insurance?

When you get a quote, you'll be able to choose from a number of optional extras to add to your policy:

  • Breakdown cover
  • European cover
  • Legal assistance
  • Cover for your friends and family to use your caravan

How can I cut the cost of caravan insurance?

The cost of caravan insurance can depend on a variety of things, including:

  • The make, model, size and price of the caravan, as the larger and more expensive the caravan, the higher your insurance premium will probably be
  • Where you keep your caravan, because if it’s kept in a secure location, it could reduce the cost of your insurance
  • The security features it has. Extra security such as tracking devices or alarms could help reduce your price
  • The number of no-claims bonus you have. If you’ve built up a history of no claims, this could help reduce the cost of your insurance
  • If you’re a member of a Caravan and Motorhome Club. As some caravan insurance companies offer discounts to members of groups such as the Caravan and Motorhome Club

Does my home contents insurance cover items in my caravan?

Your main home contents insurance could cover some of the items in your caravan, but only if you’ve specified these items, such as camping equipment.

It’s unlikely that your contents insurance will cover general household items that you keep in your caravan, like a TV. We recommend fully checking your home and contents insurance policy, to see what you may already be covered for.

You might also be interest in other insurance types is a trading name of Ltd. This site is administered by i-Wonder Aggregator Services Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under firm reference number 557746. Our service is free to use and compares quotes from a wide range of trusted insurers. is an intermediary and receives a fee from i-Wonder Aggregator Services Limited which is a percentage of the total fee charged by i-Wonder to each of its insurer providers if you decide to buy through our website. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don’t promote any one insurance provider over another. This site uses cookies. Please be aware that parts of the site will not function correctly if you disable cookies. By using our sites, you consent to our use of cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disable them. Copyright © 2020 i-Wonder. i-Wonder Aggregator Services Limited is registered in England and Wales, Company number 6742731, registered office 3 Warren Farm Barns, Micheldever, S021 3FL. We are an Appointed Representative of ITC Compliance Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) FRN 557746. Our permitted business is general insurance mediation. You can check this on the FCAs register by visiting the FCA website - or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768.