1. Home
  2. Van insurance
  3. Goods in transit

Goods in transit insurance

Compare cheap goods in transit insurance quotes

  • Get up to £10 million of cover

  • Specialist cover from our trusted partner Quote Me Today

  • Fill in a short quote form or request a call back to get a quote

What is goods in transit insurance?

Goods in transit insurance (GIT) covers any items you transport in your van that aren't yours.

It doesn't cover the van itself though. For this you'll need van insurance.

GIT insurance isn't a legal requirement, but you might need to have it in place as part of your contract if you work as a courier or delivery driver.

Without it in place, the company you work for could be held liable for the cost of the goods you're transporting if they're lost, stolen or damaged.

Our partner Quote me Today offers up to £10m of cover for things like stock, parcels and more.

Who might need GIT insurance?

You might need GIT insurance if you're delivering or carrying any goods in your vehicle. It can pay to replace these items if anything happens to them.

Here are some examples of who might need it:

Couriers/delivery drivers

If you're a courier, goods in transit insurance can cover the items you deliver, whether these are parcels or something else entirely. You may have to have it in place as part of your contract.

Home removal services

If you run a home removal service, you're responsible for the items you're transporting. With goods in transit insurance, you can cover them against theft, loss or damage.

Internal delivery drivers

If you deliver stock, office items or anything else to other branches of your business, a goods in transit policy can ensure they're covered while they're in your care.

Direct order businesses

If you're delivering directly to a customer, GIT insurance can cover the items they've paid for. That means you or your company won't have to pay if something happens to them.

What our van insurance expert says

"Even if you have courier insurance, don’t assume it’ll cover the items you’re carrying. Most policies will only cover your van itself. You should have both in place if you’re making deliveries, otherwise you could be held liable for the cost of the goods you’re transporting if something happens to them."
Louise Thomas, Motor Insurance Expert at Confused.com
Motor Insurance Expert Confused.com logo

What does goods in transit insurance cover?


It usually covers:

  • Theft of your stock
  • Loss of your stock
  • Damage to stock during transit
  • Damage to stock during loading/unloading

It wont normally cover:

  • Damage to your vehicle
  • Damage you cause to anyone else's vehicle
  • Damage to stock once it's been delivered
  • Damage to or theft of your personal possessions

What goods can I get cover for?

With our partner Quote Me Happy, you can find cover for almost anything you might be transporting.

They offer a range of policies that give you up to £10m of cover for things like:

  • Packages and parcels
  • Food
  • Refrigerated stock
  • Livestock
  • Hazardous goods

Visit our specialist partner Quote Me Today for a goods in transit quote

What conditions of carriage can I get cover for?

Depending on the company you work for, what you're transporting and where you're transporting it to, you'll be bound by a certain set of conditions of carriage.

Companies often specify their own conditions of carriage, and you'll need a policy that covers those conditions in order to transport goods for them.

Our partner, Quote Me Today, offer policies that cover a wide range of conditions of carriage that you'll need to work for companies including:

  • ParcelForce
  • TNT
  • Royal Mail
  • City Link
  • DPD
  • Yodel

Conditions of carriage are rules and regulations around the transport of goods. They usually set out the liabilities each party is responsible for when goods are being moved.

The two most popular are:


This is provided by the Road Haulage Association, and sets out exactly who is responsible for the loading, unloading and transport of goods throughout the UK.


This is a convention that governs the international transportation of goods, and works in a similar way to the RHA rules. It sets out who is responsible for what when transporting goods abroad.

What's the difference between courier insurance and goods in transit cover?

Courier van insurance icon

Courier insurance

Also known as hire and reward insurance, courier insurance covers your van for delivery driving.

This means that if you crash during work, or your van is stolen while you’re on the job, you’ll be able to claim for it. It's a legal requirement to have it if you're working as a courier.

Explore courier insurance
Goods in transit van insurance icon

Goods in transit insurance

Also known as GIT insurance, goods in transit policies insure the actual items you're carryng.

If they're lost, damaged or stolen while you're delivering them, you'll be able to claim. It isn't a legal requirement, but some companies might insist you have it as part of your contract.

Get a goods in transit quote

Visit our specialist partner Quote Me Today for a goods in transit quote

How to get a cheaper goods in transit quote

Exactly what you pay for your cover depends on a range of factors, from the value of your cargo to the distance you're transporting it. So much of what you pay for your cover is out of your control.

But there are a few things you can do that may get you a better deal:

Get the right amount of cover

Insuring yourself for £2m worth of cover when you usually only carry goods worth £100,000 means you're paying for more insurance than you need to be. Take out the right amount of cover and you could save.

Change your excess

The amount you're willing to pay towards the cost of a claim can impact the price of your policy. Just make sure you pick an excess amount that you can realistically afford if you need to make a claim.

Improve your security

Insurance is based on risk, so the lower the risk of the goods you're transporting being stolen, the lower your insurance costs could be. Things like immobilisers, trackers and alarms can all help boost your van's security.

Pay annually

This is one of the quickest ways to save. Insurers will usually charge you extra to pay monthly. Paying in one lump sum might be more expensive up front, but you'll usually be rewarded with much lower costs overall.

Need insurance for your van too?

Need more help?

Does goods in transit insurance come with public liability cover?

This depends on your policy. Some goods in transit policies include public liability insurance, but others may only offer it as a paid-for add-on.

Our partner Quote Me Today offers combined policies, so if this is something you’re looking for, just say when you’re getting a quote and they’ll do the rest to find you the right policy for your needs.

While it isn’t a legal requirement, many companies insist you have public liability insurance in place to work for them as a courier.

It covers you for any injuries you cause a member of the public, or any damage you do to their property while you’re working.

Does goods in transit insurance cover items left in the vehicle overnight?

Goods in transit insurnce can cover any items left in a vehicle overnight, but not all policies offer this. Always check your policy documents to see exactly what you're covered for.

If your policy does cover overnight storage, you'll usually have to make sure your goods are stored properly, and that the vehicle itself is kept in a safe, secure location overnight.

Do I need goods in transit insurance to move home?

In most cases, no. Most removal companies will insure your possessions while they're being transported.

If you're moving them yourself in your own vehicle, your home insurance may offer you cover for them. Check your policy details, though, as this isn't always covered. 

If your home policy doesn't include moving cover, then goods in transit can be a good idea. Just check you aren't already covered by another isurance policy before signing up. 


Can goods in transit insurance cover me to move business premises?

Yes, it can cover your business equipment if you're moving premises. If you're hiring a removal company, they may already offer this cover. You'll still need to check what level of cover the company has to make sure it meets your needs, though. 

If you, or your employees, are moving your business' possessions yourself, then goods in transit insurance can be a good idea.

Van insurance guides

Page last updated: 06 June 2024

Reviewed by: Louise Thomas

Goods in Transit and Tools in Transit insurance is arranged and administered by Quote Me Today Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority No: 786619. Registered office, 2nd Floor 5-10 Sparrow Way, Lakesview International Business Park, Hersden, Canterbury, Kent, United Kingdom, CT3 4JH. Registered in England and Wales, No: 04668665. Our service is free and compares a wide range of trusted household names. Confused.com is an intermediary and receives commission, which is a flat rate fee from QuoteMeToday.co.uk if you decide to buy through their website.