Off-road motorcycles and quads can cause a lot of confusion when it comes to making them legal for use in the UK. This is because there are a huge range of types and styles available, as well as many custom and modified models that may not fall under the traditional umbrella of ‘road-legal’ in the UK.
In general, unless you’re only using your bike off-road, on private land with the landowner’s permission, both you and the bike will need to meet the following criteria in order to be considered safe on the road;
- You'll need the correct type of motorbike licence in place, which will usually depend on your age, and the size of the bike you ride. You can find a breakdown of the motorcycle licence categories on the GOV.UK website
- Your bike will need to be registered with the DVLA and taxed
- You'll also need an active insurance policy in place, to protect you against the potential costs of damaging or injuring another person or property
At Confused.com we compare specialist insurers who can offer tailored policies for off-road biking. The policies they offer may include options and extras designed to save you money, or get you the best level of cover, and could include;
- Limited mileage cover – Off-road bikers tend to cover fewer miles than traditional bikers, and a limited mileage policy could reflect this, helping to reduce your insurance premiums
- Motorcycle breakdown cover – Off-road motorbikes tend to take more of a beating on a day-to-day basis than standard bikes, so breakdown cover is a common option with off-road policies, and could help get your bike back on the road when you've pushed it too hard
- Accidental damage/personal injury cover – These types of cover do not come as standard on most motorbike insurance policies, and will generally come with higher premiums. They may however prove particularly beneficial to off-road bikers, who tend to take more risks with both their bike and themselves
With the added risks associated with off-road bikers, getting a good deal on your insurance can be a tough exercise, but we’re here to do all the leg work for you. Our online form only takes a few minutes to complete, and you could soon be comparing quotes from motorcycle insurance companies across the UK.
- You'll be able to browse policy options and choose the extras you need from a convenient list
- Many can offer monthly payment options, allowing you to spread the cost of your insurance
- Find the policy that suits you best based on value or level of cover