1. Home
  2. Mortgages
  3. 90% LTV mortgages

90% LTV mortgages

Find your best 90% mortgage

We’ve partnered with Mojo Mortgages to help you compare 90% LTV mortgages with an expert

  • It takes less than 10 minutes to answer questions with Mojo

  • Compare 90% mortgage deals across 70+ lenders

  • Our broker partner is rated 'Excellent' on Trustpilot

Confused.com C icon
Our expert panel reviews all content. Learn more about our editorial standards and how we operate.

What is a 90% LTV Mortgage?

A 90% loan-to-value (LTV) mortgage means you put down a 10% deposit. You then borrow the remaining 90% of the property value from a mortgage lender.

LTV is the ratio of the loan you've borrowed compared to the value or price of the property, whichever is lower. For example, to get a 90% mortgage for a £200,000 property, you put down a £20,000 deposit (10%) and borrow the remaining £180,000 (90%).

90% mortgages are usually cheaper than 95% mortgage deals (which are normally the maximum LTV deals available on the market). This is because the more you're able to put down a deposit, the lower your rate normally is. Making your monthly repayments more affordable.

Speak to our broker partner, Mojo Mortgages, to find out how much you could afford.

Who can get a 90% LTV mortgage?


Can get a 90% LTV mortgage:

  • First-time buyers - As long as you have a 10% deposit and meet the lender's eligibility criteria, they should be able to find a 90% mortgage. But some first-time buyers may prefer to put down a larger deposit if they're able to. And others may only manage a 5% deposit.
  • Those who are remortgaging - If you have 10% equity built up in your property and your initial mortgage deal has come to an end, a 90% remortgage might work for you. There are normally 90% remortgage deals available on the market, but some lenders may expect you to have a bit more equity to remortgage with them. You could use money from savings to increase your equity and get a lower LTV deal when you remortgage.

Can't get a 90% LTV mortgage:

  • Those who are buying to let - In most cases you won't be able to get a 90% buy-to-let mortgage. Lenders normally require at least a 25% deposit for a buy-to-let property (although the amount can vary from 20-40%). This is due to the increased risk the lender takes on with these properties.

90% LTV mortgages with Mojo

We've partnered with an expert broker, Mojo Mortgages.

Just answer some questions about your situation and let Mojo's expert advisors guide you to a mortgage tailored to your needs. And the best part of it all is, it’s completely free (yes, really!).

With access to lenders across the whole of the market, Mojo advisors strive to save you money and find your best mortgage rate.


Mojo logo

4.5 green stars

4.5 rating based on 4,251 reviews
as of 15/03/2024

What types of 90% LTV mortgages are there?

This means your interest rate remains the same for a set period. This gives you peace of mind that your payments won't suddenly increase if interest rates rise.

This means your interest rate is subject to change during your deal period. If the rate increases, you end up paying more each month. But if it decreases, you benefit from lower payments. The main types of variable-rate deals are discount mortgages and tracker mortgages.

What costs are involved with 90% LTV mortgages?

The main costs involved with a 90% LTV mortgage are:

  • Deposit - 10% of the property value
  • Monthly repayments - based on the loan amount (90% of the property value), interest rate and term length
  • Fees - there are various fees associated with a mortgage, including the arrangement fee (set-up cost)

Advantages and disadvantages of 90% LTV mortgages


Advantages of 90% LTV mortgages:

  • Saving a 10% deposit can be manageable, even for first-time buyers
  • Putting down a smaller deposit can let you keep money aside for property renovations and other projects
  • You usually get better deals and rates with a 90% LTV mortgage compared to a 95% mortgage
  • You're less likely to go into negative equity (when you owe more than your property is worth) compared to a 95% deal

Disadvantages of 90% LTV mortgages:

  • Those with larger deposits can get lower LTV mortgages and normally better rates
  • You're more likely to go into negative equity compared to a lower LTV deal
  • If a 10% deposit stretches your budget, a 95% mortgage might be more suitable to allow you to keep some money back for emergencies

What our mortgage expert says

"Buying a house with a 10% deposit can be a good option for first-time buyers. You get a better range of deals and rates compared to a 95% mortgage, but those buying their first property may still find it manageable to save a 10% deposit."

Claire Flynn, Senior Content Editor at Mojo
Senior Content Editor | Mojo, Mortgages Expert | Confused.com Mojo logo

Mojo's customers say:

Mojo is rated

4.5 green stars

Mojo mortgages have a 4.5 rating based on 4251 reviews
as of 15/03/2024

Tips & guides on 90% LTV mortgages

See all mortgage guides

Need more help?

Are there alternatives to 90% LTV mortgages?

The alternatives to a 90% mortgage are the other LTV deals lenders offer. Some of the most common are:

  • 95% LTV mortgages
  • 85% LTV mortgages
  • 80% LTV mortgages
  • 75% LTV mortgages
  • 60% LTV mortgages

You can also get 100% (no deposit) mortgages, but these are rare. In most cases you need a guarantor or the savings of a family member to be eligible.

Page last reviewed: 15 March 2024

Reviewed by: Claire Flynn


The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate mortgages for commercial or investment buy-to-let properties. 

Confused.com is not a mortgage intermediary and makes introductions to Mojo Mortgages to provide mortgage solutions.

Confused.com and Mojo Mortgages are part of the same group of companies.

Confused.com 2nd Floor, Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff, CF10 3AL, United Kingdom. Confused.com is a trading name of Inspop.com Limited and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. FRN 310635

Mojo is a trading style of Life's Great Limited which is registered in England and Wales (06246376). We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and are on the Financial Services Register (478215). Mojo’s registered office is The Cooperage, 5 Copper Row, London, SE1 2LH.

To contact Mojo by phone, please call 0333 123 0012.