1. Home
  2. Motorbike breakdown cover

Motorbike breakdown cover

Compare motorcycle breakdown cover from multiple providers and get a quote in minutes

Our expert panel reviews all content. Learn more about our editorial standards and how we operate.

  • Get a breakdown cover quote in just 1 minute

  • Get quotes from some of the biggest UK providers like AXA, Greenflag and RAC

What type of motorcycle breakdown cover do I need?

You can choose from a few different types of breakdown cover. The type you buy depends on your personal circumstances.

  • Roadside assistance is the most basic level of breakdown cover. Your breakdown company sends a recovery vehicle to fix your motorbike at the roadside. If your breakdown company can't fix it, they can tow you to the nearest garage.
  • National recovery is similar to roadside assistance, but you can choose where in the UK your motorbike is towed to. This also typically includes transportation for you and any passengers to complete your journey.
  • Home start is designed to cover breakdowns within a certain distance of your home. For example, if your car breaks down within 10 miles of your home or gets a flat battery in your garage. If you're over the specified distance, you might not be able to use this cover.
  • Onward journey provides alternative transportation for you to continue your journey if your motorbike needs repairs at a garage. These policies also generally include cover for accommodation costs if you need to stay away from home after a break down.
  • European breakdown cover protects you if your motorbike breaks down while you're riding in the EU. You can normally choose either single-trip or annual cover. The countries covered vary depending on the provider you're with, so it's worth checking your cover details.

What our car insurance expert says

“It’s important to consider what level of motorbike breakdown cover best suits you. If you often make long-distance trips, a more comprehensive policy that includes national recovery might be worthwhile. If you generally stay closer to home, a cheaper, more basic level of cover might be enough.”
Louise Thomas, Motor Insurance Expert at Confused.com
Motor Insurance Expert Confused.com logo

What to do if your motorbike breaks down

Stay calm

As a motorbike rider, you're already more vulnerable to traffic around you. This risk increases when your motorbike has a fault.

Pull over safely

Signal before pulling over. Make sure you exit the motorbike safely away from traffic. Stay behind barriers on the roadside.

Stay visible

You should keep a high-visibility jacket in a breakdown kit. You should also keep your hazard lights on, even in the day.

Call your breakdown provider

Let them know your location and whether you've got any passengers with you. They can then arrange assistance for you.

What if I break down without motorbike breakdown cover?

Recovery can be expensive if you don't have breakdown cover. But there are a few options available.

You can call the Highways Agency for help. Look for their markers or emergency phones on the roadside. They can offer advice or arrange assistance if you need.

You can also call a local garage for assistance, but they normally charge call-out fees. They might also charge you for every mile they tow your motorbike. So, it's worth considering whether breakdown cover could better suit your needs.

You might also be interested in

Breakdown cover guides

Page last reviewed: 08 December 2023

Reviewed by: Louise Thomas

Confused.com's breakdown cover is arranged by Comparison Creator who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under firm reference number 832239. Comparison Creator is registered in England & Wales No. 07336373 at Springboard Business Innovation Centre, Llantarnam Park, Cwmbran, NP44 3AW. Confused.com is an intermediary and receives commission from Comparison Creator, which is a percentage of the commission received by Comparison Creator. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don't promote any one insurance provider over another.