Storms, flooding, fire, and other natural disasters
- Water damage from burst pipes or leaks
- Subsidence and fallen trees
- Vehicle collisions, break-ins, and vandalism
Garages, sheds and fences are usually covered too, though this can differ between policies depending on your garage. If it’s a separate building on your property, it counts as an outbuilding, but if it’s attached to the house it can vary between providers. If the garage is converted into another room of the house, it’s covered like any other room in the house.
As buildings insurance covers the whole property, it should also cover any renovations and extensions. But it’s important to tell your insurer if you’re making major changes to your property, to make sure you have the cover you need.
What our home insurance expert says:
Why compare buildings insurance with Confused.com?
- We’re 100% independent and not owned by an insurance company. We’ll always show you our best prices that are available at the time, no matter who they’re from.
- We don’t offer freebies or gimmicks you’ll never use, instead Confused.com Rewards lets you choose one of four rewards each time you buy a home insurance policy. The choice really is yours.
- We're FCA regulated, just like the 64 home insurance companies we work with. This means that we have to follow strict guidelines in order to operate. So when you use our site, you know you’re in safe hands.
Our experts and consumer champions are dedicated to helping our customers find the best deal for their needs and budget.
Types of home insurance
protects your household belongings against theft, loss and damage.
Find cover for old listed buildings and new builds alike.
find home insurance for your flat or partially flat roofed property.
can protect you and your rental property against unexpected costs, like building or content damage, as well as any disputes.
can be tailored to cover the building, content or both depending on whether you own or rent your flat.
protects properties that are of national historical significance.
"Easy to use and helped me save money on renewal".
Peter - Confused.com customer (July 2023)
"Incredibly easy to use with numerous quotes returned and good rewards too!"
Malcom- Confused.com customer (July 2023)
"Easy to use, saves quotes which eliminates having to rewrite the following year."
Erica - Confused.com customer (July 2023)
Home insurance guides
Our collection of UK home insurance statistics for 2023, such as average UK home insurance costs, UK home insurance market share and property insurance claim statistics.
The age of your property could impact how much you pay for your home insurance. Here's how you find out how old your house is.
Does renting your home via Airbnb affect your home insurance and will your mortgage lender allow it? Here's everything you need to know about Airbnb insurance.
Living in a high-risk flood area can come with high insurance costs - that's why the Flood Re Scheme was created. Here's how you work out if you're eligible.
Smart homes are on the rise, but will you be safer in a connected home? Here's how smart home technology might impact your home insurance.
Electric bike insurance covers you against damage and theft of your ebike. You should be able to add it to your home insurance policy.