1. Home
  2. Motorbike insurance
  3. Scooter and moped insurance

Scooter and moped insurance

Compare cheap scooter and moped insurance quotes

Retrieve quote
  • Get covered for your moped or scooter in less than 5 mins

  • We compare up to 36 motorbike insurance providers to find you the best deal

  • Choose from a range of optional extras including helmet and leathers cover and breakdown cover

What is moped and scooter insurance?

Mopeds and scooters are both classed as a type of motorbike. So, if you have one, you'll need motorbike insurance to legally ride it on UK roads.

A standard policy should cover injury to other road users and damage to their property. Depending on the level of cover you buy, it should also cover your moped or scooter for damage or theft.

What's the difference between a moped and a scooter?

The main difference is the engine size. Mopeds are classed as motorbikes with engines that are smaller than 50cc. Scooters can have much bigger engines, starting at 50cc and going all the way up to 750cc.

Due to their smaller engine size, mopeds normally have a top speed of 28 mph. This means you can't ride one on a motorway. Scooters can generally go faster because they have bigger engines. For example, a 125cc scooter could have a maximum speed of 70 mph. Because of this, insurers often class mopeds as lower risk, making them generally cheaper to insure than a scooter with a bigger engine.

You can ride a moped from the age of 16, but you need to be 17 to ride scooters up to 125cc. You must be 19 to ride any motorbike with an engine bigger than 125cc.

What do you need to ride a scooter or a moped?

Most people need to take a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course and have a provisional or full driving licence. You also need to display L-plates on your moped. If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001, you don't need to take a CBT course or use L-plates.

No matter when you passed your driving test, you need to complete a CBT course to ride scooters over 50cc.

You also need to tax your motorbike by paying Vehicle Excise Duty (VED). The cost of this depends on the size of your motorbike's engine.

What type of insurance can I get for my moped or scooter?

There are 3 levels of motorbike insurance to choose from:

  • Third-party insurance is the minimum level of cover you're legally required to have. It covers other people and their vehicles if you're involved in an accident. You aren't covered for repairs or replacements for your own moped or scooter. You might think this makes it the cheapest option, but that isn't always the case. Third-party insurance costs £5721 on average.
  • Third-party, fire and theft offers the same level of cover as third party, plus cover for your motorbike if it's stolen or damaged by fire. This is the lowest level of cover many UK bikers consider because of the high risk of motorcycle theft in the UK. It costs and average of £4511.
  • Comprehensive policies offer the most cover. As well as cover for third parties, you're also covered for repairs and replacements to your own scooter or moped. This normally applies even if you're at fault. Although comprehensive policies provide the most protection, they're often the cheaper insurance option, with an average price of £3201.

1Based on Confused.com data June 2023

Compare scooter and moped insurance quotes

How much does moped insurance cost?

Your insurance company bases your cost on several risk factors, including:

  • Your age. Insurers consider young riders to be a higher risk than older ones. This is because they typically have less experience on the road than older riders. So, they're more likely to be involved in an accident and make a claim on their insurance.
  • Your moped or scooter. Insurers place motorbikes, including mopeds and scooters, into insurance groups. Typically, these range from 1-17. But, unlike car insurance groups that are standardised across insurers, motorbike groups can go up to 22 depending on the provider's rating. Groups are based on factors like engine size and value. Mopeds and scooters with smaller engines normally fall into lower groups, so insurance might be cheaper.
  • Any previous claims or convictions. If you've made a claim on your insurance, or have a previous motoring conviction, you're likely to pay more for your insurance. This is because you're seen as a higher risk to insurers.
  • Your mileage. The more time you spend on the road, the higher your risk of being involved in an accident and needing to claim on your insurance. So, driving more miles each year normally means you see higher prices. You should be accurate when giving a mileage estimate, though. If you drive more miles than you're insured for, your policy could be invalidated. This means your insurer might not pay the full amount if you need to make a claim.
  • Your location. Motorbike theft is higher in certain parts of the country. Living in an area with high crime rates means you pay more for insurance, as your moped or scooter is at higher risk.

How can I save money on my moped or scooter insurance?

  • Compare quotes. Even if your renewal price is similar to last year, you might still be able to save. Comparing quotes is one of the easiest ways to make sure you're getting the best deal. It takes a few minutes and you'll be able to compare up to 36 motorbike insurance companies, helping you make the right decision for you.
  • Pay annually. Paying annually for your insurance almost always works out cheaper than paying monthly. This is because when you choose to pay monthly, insurers add interest onto your overall price.
  • Increase your voluntary excess. Generally, the more you're able to pay towards claims, the cheaper your insurance could be. Just make sure you set it at a level you could afford to pay if you needed.
  • Choose policy add-ons carefully. Consider what you actually need from your insurance. Policy extras come at an added cost, so remove any you don't need.
  • Avoid modifications. Any modifications you make to your scooter or moped increase your insurance costs. This is because they can make it harder to source replacements, making repairs more expensive and time-consuming.
  • Build your no-claims bonus (NCB). For each year you're insured on your moped or scooter without making a claim, you get a year added to your NCB. This means you get a discount on your insurance when you buy a new policy.
  • Reduce your annual mileage. Typically, the more miles you drive, the more expensive your insurance is. This is because driving more puts you at higher risk of being involved in accidents. If you can reduce the number of miles you drive in a year, you could see your insurance prices come down. Just make sure you estimate your mileage accurately when getting a quote.
  • Increase your moped or scooter's security with features like disc locks and chain locks. Keeping it in a locked garage when not in use can also reduce the risk of theft.

What do I need to compare quotes?

When you're getting scooter or moped insurance quotes, it helps to have a few things ready:

Personal details:

  • The type of licence you have and how long you've held it
  • How many miles you think you'll ride in a year
  • Any claims or convictions in the last 5 years
  • How you plan on using your motorbike - for example, social use only, social & commuting, business

Motorbike details:

  • The registration, make and model of your moped or scooter
  • The year it was manufactured
  • Any modifications you've made
  • The approximate value of the motorbike
  • Any security measures you've taken

What our motorbike insurance expert says

"The smaller size of mopeds and scooters make them a popular choice for young people and those living in the city. You can ride them from a young age so they're ideal for young drivers who want to get on the road quickly. They're also fairly cheap to run. You insure them the same way as a motorbike. It might even be cheaper because of their smaller engines. Comparing motorbike insurance quotes with us is the best way to get a good deal."

Compare scooter and moped insurance quotes

Why choose Confused.com?

  • We're 100% independent and not owned by an insurance company. This means the prices you see are the best available based on the information you provide, not who they're from.
  • We're regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). We follow strict guidelines meaning you can be sure that we do things the right way for you. All of the partners we work with are also regulated by the FCA.
  • UK customer support. Our Cardiff-based customer support team is here to help you if you need it. If you need to get in contact, visit our contact us page for details.
  • We help millions of customers get insurance every year. Since we were established as the first car insurance comparison site in 2002, we've helped millions of customers save on their insurance.

What policy add-ons can I get with scooter or moped insurance?

The optional extras you choose depend on what you'd like your policy to cover. They come at an added cost, so make sure you're only chooseing those that you think you'll need.

  • Pillion cover helps cover any passengers you carry on your moped or scooter. This doesn't include cover for any sidecars you have. For this, you need sidecar cover. A comprehensive motorbike insurance policy with pillion cover costs £5852 on average.
  • Helmet and leathers covere is there to cover the cost of replacing your motorbike clothing and safety helmet if they're damaged following an accident.
  • Motorbike breakdown cover provides you with roadside assistance if your scooter or moped breaks down during a journey. It's normally available at different levels and some companies don't provide breakdown cover for mopeds or scooters with smaller engines. So, it's worth checking cover details before you buy.
  • European cover lets you ride your motorbike abroad. The level of cover varies between providers.
  • Legal expenses cover helps you with any legal costs following an accident. This can include paying for a solicitor or covering medical costs if you're involved in an accident.
  • Personal accident cover pays out if you're seriously injured or die in an accident.

2Based on Confused.com data June 2023

We compare up to 36 trusted insurance companies to get you our cheapest deal

Types of bike insurance

Motorbike guides

Page last reviewed: 05 September 2023

Reviewed by: Louise Thomas

Confused.com motorbike insurance is administered by Vast Visibility Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under firm reference number 566973. Vast Visibility Ltd is registered in England & Wales No. 05866769 at office: 8 Princes Parade, Liverpool, L3 1DL. Our service is free and compares a wide range of trusted household names. Confused.com is an intermediary and receives commission from Vast Visibility Ltd which is a percentage of the total commission if you decide to buy through our website. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don't promote any one insurance provider over another.