Compare motorbike insurance

50% of bikers paid £172* or less for their motorbike insurance

Get a new quote

Retrieve a quote

*Based on data in July 2021, 50% of customers paid £172.00 or less for their motorbike insurance.

Compare insurance policies for your type of bike.

Scooter & moped insurance

Scooter icon

Cover for those with smaller engines, commonly associated with first-time bike users.

Get scooter & moped cover

Quad bike insurance

Quad bike

For those riding on four wheels for sports, agricultural or fun.

Get quad bike cover

Multi bike insurance

Multi bike icon

More than one motorbike? Get a multi bike quote to cover them all on the same policy.

Get multi-bike cover

Classic motorcycle insurance

Classic motorbike

Cover for a modern classic or vintage motorcycle; your labour of love.

Get classic bike cover

Off-road bike insurance

Off road motorbike

Specialised protection for off-roading, green-laning, dirt and trial bikes.

Get off-road cover

Trike insurance

Trike icon

Protection for your three-wheeled pride and joy.

Get trike cover

Just three of the great reasons to use

"I always use this site so I know I'm not overpaying for bike insurance. I must've saved hundreds over the years!"
Craig - customer 5 gold stars

We compare more than 40 motorbike insurance providers to save you money.

Bikesure motorbike insurance logo 
Devitt motorbike insurance logo 
Bennetts motorbike insurance logo 

You should always compare motorbike insurance

If you want to ride your motorbike on UK roads, you have to take out motorbike insurance by law. So it’s important to get covered at the right price.

Is your renewal price the same or higher than last year, but you've had no accidents or claims?

If your circumstances haven't changed, then its likely you'll save money by comparing motorbike insurance quotes.

We search a wide range of providers to make sure you find the cheapest motorbike insurance quotes to suit your budget.

Compare bike quotes now to see how much you can save on your bike insurance.

Our motorbike insurance comparison service can also compare policies for some trikes, scooters and quad bikes, that may have unique insurance requirements.

  • If you're thinking about getting your first bike, check out our guide to buying the right motorbike for you. It can help you get through the complicated and often expensive process of buying and learning to ride your first motorbike. 
  • Confused about which type of bike is for you? Take a look at our guide to the different types of motorbikes.
  • We also provide motorbike breakdown covercomparing breakdown quotes in minutes.

Want to find out more? Browse through our motorbike guides to find in-depth information on everything you'll need to know when taking out a motorcycle insurance policy.

What you need to get a motorbike insurance quote

Having the following information to hand makes getting a motorbike insurance quote quicker and easier:

Motorbike details:

  • Your motorbike registration or the make and model and year it was manufactured
  • The approximate value of your motorcycle
  • The date you bought it**
  • Any modifications made to your bike
  • What motorbike security devices you have
  • Where you keep your motorbike

Rider details:

  • Type of motorbike licence and length of time held
  • How you’ll use your bike
  • Miles you’ll ride in a year
  • Any claims or convictions you’ve had
  • Whether you need to add another rider
  • Any extras – pillion cover, breakdown cover, helmet & leathers cover, legal expenses, personal accident

**You can get an insurance quote for a bike you haven’t bought yet, as long as you know the make, model and approximate year of manufacture.

How you use your motorbike will affect your insurance price

If you’re looking for a cheap motorbike insurance quote, it’s really important that you choose the right class of use when you get your quote. You need to be clear about how, when and where you use your bike. If you aren’t, your insurance might be invalidated, and you could be hit with points and a fine.

At the same time, you need to make sure you’re properly covered, that you’re not paying for cover you don’t need and that you have the right bike insurance in place.

There are four classes of use for bike insurance:

Social, domestic and pleasure (SDP or SD&P)

Motorbike insurance policy document icon

Social, domestic and pleasure is the class for social riders who only use their motorbike for social reasons – bank holiday ride-outs, attending bike shows, bike-fests, café meet-ups or just hitting the open road. Your bike is for the joy of riding and your motorbike insurance should reflect this. Many SDP riders only do a few thousand miles a year, and your MOT certificate will show you how many miles you covered last year. 

Accurately stating your annual mileage can affect your annual premium. Be careful though, if you underestimate your mileage it can invalidate your insurance.

Social including commuting (SDPC or SDP inc. C)

Scooter icon

Social including commuting includes anyone who uses their bike to ride to and from work. It’s sometimes known as “scooter-commuter” cover, but it’s required for any motorbike that is used to commute.

As traffic increases on UK roads, the ability to nip down the middle of all those parked cars can be an irresistible lure. If this is you, make sure that you select SDP inc. commuting, so you’re covered for your daily ride to and from work.

Remember, SDPC only covers you for riding your bike to and from one work location. If you work in more than one location, you’ll need Class 1 cover instead.

Class 1 business use

Icon of briefcase

Class 1 business use protects riders who use their motorbike to travel to different places for work, rather than just between their home and the office.

If your business has lots of offices that you visit regularly of or if you have to visit various sites, meet customers in different places, or travel round the country for meetings, then this cover is for you.

Courier/delivery/dispatch insurance

Icon of pound symbols

Are you a delivery rider or courier, delivering things like fast-food, or Amazon packages? Then this is the cover you'll need. Unfortunately, we don’t offer courier and delivery insurance at – you’ll need to go to a specialist insurer for this cover.

The three levels of motorbike insurance

As well as choosing the right class of use, you’ll have to select the level of cover you want. Just as with car or van insurance, you can choose third-party only (TPO), third-party, fire and theft (TPFT) and comprehensive levels of cover.

Third-party only (TPO)

Blue insurance document icon

The minimum amount of cover you're legally required to have. While you might think this is the cheapest option for riders, that's not always the case. It’s a basic level of cover that covers damage to others as the result of an accident deemed your fault. It doesn’t cover your motorcycle for repairs or replacement if it's stolen, damaged or involved in an accident.

Third-party, fire and theft (TPFT)

Blue insurance document icon

This gives you the same level of cover as with third-party, but will also cover you for repairs or replacement if it's stolen or damaged by fire.


Insurance document icon

Offers one of the highest levels of protection you and your motorbike can get. As well as including cover for other people and their property in the event of an accident, you're also covered for damage to your motorcycle.

What our expert says:

"Motorbike insurance doesn’t normally cost the earth, but you need to be sure you have the cover you need. Add-ons are often essential - your helmet and leathers aren’t cheap to replace, and personal accident will cover you if you’re injured on your bike."
“Make sure you get the insurance to suit how you ride, and above all, be bike safe and keep the rubber side down."
Jac Morris motorbike insurance product manager signature
Jac Morris, Motorbike Insurance Product Manager
Get a bike quote

Compare cheap quotes from up to 40 providers.

Need more help?

What do the different levels of motorbike insurance cover mean?

The three main levels of cover available with motorbike insurance are:

  • Third-party only
  • Third-party, fire & theft
  • Fully comprehensive

They work the same way as they do with a car insurance policy, with the level of protection and cover increasing across each.

What does bike insurance cover?

Bike insurance is available at three levels, just like car insurance: third-party only, third-party, fire and theft, and fully comprehensive.

What are the different types of motorbikes?

  • Sports bikes
  • Scooters/mopeds
  • Naked bikes
  • Cruisers
  • Adventure/adventure sport
  • Touring Motorcycles

Check out our guide on the different types of motorbikes for more information.

What factors determine the price of my motorbike insurance policy?

Motorbike insurers will look at a number of factors to give you a motorbike insurance price:

  • Age
  • Riding history – including previous convictions or points on your licence
  • Previous claims – including no-claims bonus
  • Class of use – whether you use it for social use or for business use, etc.
  • Level of voluntary excess agreed
  • Bike location – where the bike is kept the majority of the time
  • Motorbike make and model, type and engine size
  • What security the bike has – including locks, alarms and trackers

What are the different classes of motorbike use?

You can be insured under one of these classes:

  • Social, domestic and pleasure (SDP)
  • SDP inc Commuting
  • Business use
  • Courier and delivery – currently not available through

Can I transfer my car's no-claims bonus to my motorbike?

Some insurance companies will allow you to carry your car's no-claims bonus over to your motorbike policy, but many won't. If in doubt, check with your insurer.

You can only use your car no-claims on one vehicle so if you’ve used it on your car, you can’t use it on your motorbike.

Should I insure my motorbike for an entire year, or cancel my premium when it's not in use?

You have to have motorbike insurance in place, unless your bike has a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

You could take out a policy just for the summer, and cancel in the autumn, but with cancellation fees and the relatively low cost of motorbike insurance, you’re unlikely to save much money.

Might be better to keep it insured in case of a Christmas holiday ride-out, no?

Can I insure my motorbike for just part of the year?

If you’re keeping your bike on the road, you should insure your motorbike for the entire year. It’s illegal to have your motorbike uninsured, and cancelling policies could work out being more expensive than continuing with a yearly policy. An alternative way is to declare it off the road with a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

Alternatively, you could use temporary motorbike insurance, but beyond a short time period this could become very expensive.

Does my motorcycle insurance cover me to carry passengers?

This is often referred to as pillion cover. Whether you’re covered to carry passengers will depend on the policy you buy. Most motorbike insurance policies don’t offer pillion cover as standard, so be sure to check the terms and conditions of your cover before carrying any passengers. You’ll also need to check that your licence allows you to carry passengers.

How do the motorbike licence grades work?

Motorbike licence grades work in a similar way to how driving licences are given categories that let you drive different vehicles, eg cars, buses and trucks.

Your motorbike licence will only entitle you to ride certain bikes. Restrictions will normally be based on your age, riding experience, and the power of the bike.

You can read more on the GOV.UK website or check out our own guide on guide to getting your motorbike licence.

Is trike insurance different from motorbike insurance?

If your trike is a standard, manufactured model, we can quickly offer insurance quotes and get you covered.

But many trikes are non-standard, custom builds. If this is the case, you can still receive and compare prices with us, but you'll need to call the insurer you choose and confirm all your vehicle details.

This will help make sure that your policy and price are correct, and you're getting the right level of cover. Mistakes when you take out the policy can be costly later on.

Can I ride my motorbike abroad?

You can, with the correct insurance. Before you go abroad with your bike you should check to see if your policy covers you, how long you’re covered for and which countries you are insured for. You’ll also need to check if your level of cover is the same as when you’re abroad.

I'm 16 and looking to start motorbike lessons. Where do I begin?

When you’re 16, you’ll be able to ride either a moped or a scooter with a maximum engine size of 50cc.

But before you can legally ride on the road, you’ll need to hold a provisional licence and have completed a CBT course. You’ll also need to display L plates when riding your scooter as it’s illegal to ride without them during your provisional licence period.

I've entered my bike's details but I can't find it. What do I do?

New models and imported bikes can be difficult to find, and some models are listed under a slightly different name. For example, you’ll find a Piaggio under "Vespa Piaggio". If your details are correct and you still can’t select your bike, then get in touch and we’ll try to help.

What additional extras can I add to my motorcycle insurance cover?

Motorbike insurance can be quite basic. It’ll cover your bike and other road users, but that’s about it. So you might want to consider one or more of the following:

  • Pillion cover
  • Helmet and leathers cover
  • Personal accident
  • Legal expenses
  • Breakdown cover
  • Sidecar insurance
  • European/overseas cover
  • Key cover

Some insurers will include one or more of these as part of their policy. This is often a cheaper way of getting these add-ons, which can be quite costly when bought on their own.

How do I make a claim on my motorbike insurance?

If you're involved in an accident, after safety concerns have been met and emergency services (if necessary) have been contacted, you should report the matter to your insurer.

Make sure to pass on all the details you took from the scene of the accident to your insurer within 24 hours. Read our guide for more details on how to claim on your motorbike insurance.

Why do I need both a motorcycle and a car licence?

If you haven’t got a car licence, you can leave this question blank and still carry on with getting your quote. A full UK licence allows you to drive a bike provisionally, so we need to know the date you got it if you have one.

What's the best way to get cheaper motorbike insurance?

To lower your motorbike insurance policy as much as possible, you should consider these options:

  • Provide high security measures for your bike – park in a secure area like a garage or secure car park and lock your bike as securely as possible.
  • Limit mileage – the more miles you do in the year, the higher your insurance premiums tend to be. If you use your motorbike for business purposes, you’re more likely to have a higher premium than if you only use it for personal use.
  • Have a motorbike with no modifications – usually the more modifications your bike has, the higher the insurance premium.
  • Have a smaller, less powerful engine – a 500cc engine can provide you with a smaller price to pay compared to a 950cc beast, for example.

Does motorcycle insurance cover modifications?

Most motorcycle insurance companies will cover standard modifications (which do not affect performance) under a standard policy.

If this is the case, your insurer will provide a list of modifications you don’t have to tell them about on their website. All other modifications must be declared and could affect your premium.

Take a look at our guide for more information on modified motorbike insurance.

Does my motorbike insurance cover punctures and damaged wheels?

Most motorcycle insurance policies won’t cover you for punctures or damage to your wheels. To avoid being stuck at the side of the road, you can get motorbike breakdown cover and be picked up by a roadside recovery service.

Does motorcycle insurance cover me when I ride other bikes?

Some comprehensive motorbike insurance policies will cover you to ride other bikes – normally on a third-party-only basis. Make sure you check your insurance documents before riding someone else’s bike though, as you don’t want to wreck their ride and then find out you’re not covered.

Temporary motorbike insurance could be another solution. You can get comprehensive cover for a single day or a longer period.

Can I add other people to my motorcycle insurance policy?

Most insurers will let you add another named rider to your policy. It could increase your premiums though.

Can I get a new replacement if my bike is written off?

Normally you’ll only get a brand-new replacement when your motorbike is written off if it was new or recently purchased.

If your motorcycle is older, you’re likely to get a pay-out from your insurer reflecting its current value (less your policy excess).

If my motorbike is written off, can I buy it back and rebuild? Or reuse the parts?

It really depends on your insurer and how bad the write-off was. Write-offs are categorised in a similar way to cars and given a rating of A, B, S or N.

Categories A (scrap) and B (break) mean the motorcycle is not allowed to be put into circulation again, so it’s unlikely they will allow you to buy it back, even for parts.

Categories S (structurally damaged repairable) and N (non-structurally damaged repairable) can be a bit more flexible. Some insurers may allow you to buy back the whole motorbike, or just parts of it, while others may not.

How to get cheaper motorbike insurance

Cheaper motorbike insurance: our top tips

How to get a motorbike licence

Motorbike licences can be complicated. We tell you what licence you need to ride your bike legally

Making sure you pass your motorbike MOT

Get your motorcycle through its MOT first time, every time with our handy tips.

Which motorbike should you buy?

There are countless brands and models of motorbike, but how do you decide which one is right for you?

Motorbike security devices and tips

Motorbike theft is on the rise, but how do you protect your bike (and reduce your insurance premium)?

Electric motorbikes explained

Motorbikes are going electric - we explain how they work and what they're like.

Additional cover for bikers

Motorbike insurance covers the basics - but what else should you be insuring and why??

The main types of motorbike explained

There are loads of different types of motorbike on the road - here's a handy guide to the motorbike categories and what they are used for. motorbike insurance is administered by Vast Visibility Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under firm reference number 566973. Vast Visibility Ltd is registered in England & Wales No. 05866769 at office: 8 Princes Parade, Liverpool, L3 1DL.
Our service is free and compares a wide range of trusted household names. is an intermediary and receives commission from Vast Visibility Ltd which is a percentage of the total commission if you decide to buy through our website. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don't promote any one insurance provider over another. motorbike insurance customers rate us 4.67/5 based on 1280 respondents - as of 06/10/21). Read our reviews