1. Home
  2. Car insurance
  3. Temporary car insurance

Temporary car insurance

Get short-term car insurance for an hour, a day, week or a month

The average cost for a one day temp policy is just £33*

  • Get a quote in 90 seconds

  • Fully comprehensive cover

  • Flexible insurance with no lengthy contracts

*Based on Confused.com data from Tempcover average policy purchase prices in February 2024.
1Correct as of July 2024

Why choose temporary car insurance?

Temporary or short-term car insurance is an easy, flexible way to get insurance for different needs. Available from 1 hour to 30 days, it can be a great option if you want to borrow a friend's car, test drive a new car, or share a long drive. You only pay for the cover you need as and when you need it.

  • All short-term polices come with comprehensive cover as standard.
  • There's no impact on your no-claims bonus (NCB). And if you're borrowing a car, the owner's NCB isn't affected either.
  • No need to adjust your annual policy, if you have one.

Who is Tempcover?

Tempcover is a leading provider of short-term car insurance and all policies compared through Confused.com are administered by them. We work closely with Tempcover to find cover to suit all your needs. When you get a quote, we'll use the details you supply to compare a range of insurers who work with Tempcover. We'll then show you a price based on your requirements.

Tempcover has helped thousands of customers over 15 years and is rated Excellent on Trustpilot.

Tempcover logo

What does temporary car insurance cover?

All temporary insurance policies come with comprehensive cover as standard.

Most comprehensive policies include cover for:

  • Accidental damage to the car, and to other cars
  • Injury to another person following an accident
  • Third-party European cover or the equivalent level depending on what country you visit

Compare temporary car insurance from up to 7 insurers1 with our partner Tempcover

What isn't covered by temporary car insurance?

Although short-term policies are usually comprehensive as standard, they do have some exclusions for cover:

  • Additional drivers - only the person named on the policy is insured to drive.
  • Driving a different car - your insurance only covers you for the car that's listed on the policy.
  • Claims that happen outside of the stated use of the car. If you select 'test drive' as your reason for cover, you aren't covered if you decide to use the car for another reason.
  • Courtesy cars. You won't be provided with a replacement car if yours is in the garage following an accident.
  • Release from an impound if your car is seized. In this case you need to buy a specific impound insurance policy.

The exact policy exclusions and cover differ depending on the insurer. Always check your policy details to see what's covered.

What is the eligibility criteria for temporary insurance?

To get a temporary car insurance quote you need to meet certain criteria set by the insurers. Exact restrictions can vary between insurers.


Generally, to be a driver you must confirm that you:

  • Haven’t been disqualified from driving or had your licence cancelled in the last 2 years
  • Have never been refused insurance or had a policy cancelled or voided
  • Have no criminal convictions or pending prosecutions
  • Have had no more than 7 penalty points on your licence in the last 3 years
  • Have had no more than 2 accidents, claims or losses in the last 3 years regardless of blame

You also need to confirm that the car:

  • Has a valid MOT, unless you’re using the policy to attend a pre-booked MOT - and hasn’t been declared as SORN
  • Hasn’t been modified, unless designed to aid disabled drivers
  • Has valid car tax, unless you’re using the policy to buy the car tax immediately afterwards
  • Is worth more than £1,500

Are there any age restrictions or limitations for short-term insurance?

You need to hold a full UK or EU driving licence and be aged 17 to 78 to qualify for a policy.

If you're 17 you may have more difficulty finding a quote as not all insurers offer cover for this age. If you're 17 and learning to drive, a learner driver car insurance policy might be more suited to you in this case.

How much does temporary insurance cost?

Policy duration Average cost*
1 hour
1 day
1 week
22 days+

*Based on Tempcover data February 2024.

When would I need short-term car insurance?

There are many situations where temporary car insurance could be useful:

  • Test driving a new car. Car dealerships sometimes have cover in place already, but if you’re test driving a privately-owned car you’ll need a valid car insurance policy.
  • Buying a new car. If you’ve just bought a car and need to get it home, drive away insurance can cover you until you get an annual policy sorted.
  • Moving home. You might decide you need to borrow a larger car or van if you're moving home. Temporary insurance can make sure you have the cover you need.
  • Sharing the driving on long trips. A temporary car insurance policy lets you share the driving if you’re taking a long trip or a weekend away with friends or family.
  • Waiting on repairs. This could be useful if your car is in the garage and you need to insure a friend or family's car while you wait.
  • Borrowing a car. For young drivers who don’t have their own car but have access to a friend or relative’s car.
  • Emergency use. Get covered straight away if you need your policy to start immediately.
  • Students away at university. Temporary insurance can mean students away at uni can share the driving and use each others’ cars.
  • Impounded cars. Some standard policies don’t cover impounded vehicles. Impound insurance lasts for 30 days, allowing you to get your car released.

Will I be covered for business use?

You can select your reason for cover when you get a quote. If you want temporary business car insurance, just select 'temporary business need' if that's what you require when getting a quote.

Once you get your quote, check the insurer's declaration to see what is and isn’t included, as exact cover varies depending on your insurance provider.

What our expert says

"Temporary car insurance is a convenient option if you're looking for short-term cover. When you get your quote, we'll ask you why you need cover, and there are several options to choose from. Just make sure the policy meets your specific needs and provides enough protection for the length of time you need."

Marc Pell, Managing Director at Tempcover
Managing Director | Tempcover Tempcover logo

Other types of car insurance

Car insurance guides

See all car insurance guides

Page last reviewed: 18/04/2024

Reviewed by: Marc Pell

Confused.com's temporary cover solution is provided by Tempcover LTD. Tempcover LTD are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under firm reference number 746985. Tempcover LTD is registered in England No. 9923259 at office: 2nd floor, Admiral House, Harington Way, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 4BB. Confused.com is an intermediary and receives a percentage of commission received by Tempcover LTD.