- Fully comprehensive cover for cars from 1 hour up to 28 days.
- An alternative to a 12-month policy, it's a short-term car insurance solution for everyday tasks like a trip to the supermarket or emergencies where someone may need to borrow your car but they’re not covered by your existing insurance policy.
- It's generally a cheaper and more flexible option than buying a new policy, or amending an existing one.
- Driveaway insurance - If you want to test drive a car before you buy, or you've just bought a car, you might want cover till you can arrange a longer-term solution
- Young drivers - If you're aged under 21, don't have your own car but have access to a friend or relative's car, you might want to take out a shorter insurance policy to cover you whilst on holiday from university or to drive to a festival, for example
- Car enthusiasts - If you own a convertible or sports car that's used as a second car, you might be interested in taking out weekend insurance to cover you for that short period where you want to head out and make the most of your car
- One day insurance - If you need to use a car to move home, you could arrange one day insurance to cover your needs
- Emergency cover - If you have an emergency and need immediate access to a car, you can get cover from as little as an one hour to a few weeks
With the vehicle owner’s permission, you can quickly and easily arrange a policy to start from the moment you've bought it.
You’ll need to fill in a few of bits of information:
- Details about yourself including your name and address
- Your licence number and how long you've held it
- Details of the car you’d like to insure
- The dates and times you’d like cover to begin and end
A temporary car insurance policy could be useful in an emergency to sort out one day car insurance or cover for routine tasks like taking a trip to the shops, getting to work if you want to avoid public transport, your car is in the garage for repair or borrowing a bigger car to help you move house.
A short-term policy offers an alternative to a 12-month car insurance policy, but if you're unsure whether it could be what you need, take a look at some of the features it includes:
- The option of immediate cover from the moment you've bought it
- Peace of mind that you’re insured to drive
- Daily insurance or even cover for just one hour
- The option to arrange cover up to 28 days in advance
If you're looking for temp cover for a van, take a look at our temporary van insurance page.
This depends on the type of driving licence you have:
If you've got a provisional licence, we can't help you find temp cover, but a learner driver insurance policy might be more suited to what you need.
If you’ve passed your test and have held a valid full UK licence for at least 6 months, you need to be aged between 17 and 78 to get a policy.
You can get a quote and buy online in just a few minutes. Documents are instantly emailed to you so you’re ready to go as soon as your cover starts.
Simply put, it doesn’t. As long as the details you provide are correct and you’re driving within the arranged policy start and end date, any accidents that happen are covered by the temporary policy.
No. As long as you have the car owner’s permission, you’re good to go.
Exact restrictions can vary between insurers. Generally, to be a driver you must confirm you:
- Haven’t been disqualified from driving in the last 2 years
- Have never been refused insurance or had a policy cancelled or voided
- Have no criminal convictions or pending prosecutions
- Have had no more than 7 penalty points on your licence in the last 3 years
- Have had no more than 2 accidents, claims or losses in the last 3 years regardless of blame
You also need to confirm the car:
- Has a valid MOT (unless you're using the policy to attend a pre-booked MOT), and hasn't been declared as SORN
- Hasn't been modified, unless designed to aid disabled drivers
- Is taxed (unless you're using the policy to buy the car immediately after taking out a policy)
To get a quote we need to know:
- The vehicle reg no. or, if you don’t know that, the make and model
- How long you want cover for (the minimum is 1 hour and the maximum is 28 days)
- When you want the cover to start (time and date)
- Details of the driver – date of birth, postcode, type of driving licence and how long you’ve held the licence
- How much the car is worth. The minimum you can enter is £1,500
- The email address and mobile number you want your insurance documents sent to
Policies cover you to use your vehicle for social, domestic, commuting to and from a permanent place of work.
Some policies may include additional cover for personal business use or class 1 business use allowing you to travel to multiple places of work. Once you get your quote, check the insurers declaration to see what is and isn’t included, as exact cover varies by insurer.
Yes, but you must have passed your driving test at least 6 months ago, have held a full licence for the same amount of time and be aged between 17 and 78.