Student contents insurance

Going to uni? Don't forget to cover your belongings

Get a home quote

Go to Endsleigh

What is student contents insurance?

  • It's a policy that could protect your stuff against loss, damage or theft
  • Standard policies usually cover items like your clothes, bookselectronics and musical instruments if they're worth under £1,000
  • You could get extra cover for high-risk items like laptops and bikes
  • Some policies offer add-ons to protect against accidental damage and loss

Here's our guide to tenants' insurance if you'd like more details.

Why do I need student contents insurance?

If you're a student, the last thing you'll want to worry about is having to fork out money to replace your stuff after a theft or burglary.

With contents insurance, you could protect yourself against theft and even get cover for damage or loss. Recent research shows that:

  • Students are more likely to be victims of property crime than those in other groups says the Office of National Statistics.
  • The average student has possessions worth £3,658 according to Endsleigh.
  • Aviva received three times as many claims for stolen and damaged mobile phones in 2014, compared to 2010.

As a student, you might have lots of expensive stuff that appeals to thieves.

There are a few simple steps you could take to lower your chances, such as ensuring your house is properly secured and not flashing your valuables in public.

Top tips for getting insured

Make the most of your policy by checking the following:

  • The terms and conditions, as some policies may have specific requirements, for example, locking the bedroom door when leaving the house.
  • Don't assume your things are covered by your parent's home insurance policies. Parental policies will often have certain exclusions which won't give a student the full cover they need.
  • The excess before buying, as it might not be worth paying £250 excess for a £300 laptop.
  • The period of cover, as the policy may not cover your belongings when the term time ends if you're relying on your parents' insurance.

Getting a quote with Endsleigh

Endsleigh is the No 1 student insurance provider. With over 50 years of experience working with students, Endsleigh is the only provider recommended by the National Union of Students (NUS).

They know how important it is to stay connected while you're at uni, not just to family and friends but to your studies too. That's why Endsleigh offers cover that includes the promise of 24 hour replacement for laptops and phones*.

*24 hours represents one working day from Endsleigh approving your claim.

Why compare student contents insurance with

We were the UK's first insurance price comparison website, so we'd like to use our expertise to help you make the most of your policy.

We have a wide selection of guides to help you out, such as our article on home insurance excess explained.

Dark blue icon of a house with a calculator

Contents calculator

Getting home contents insurance? Our calculator makes it easy for you to estimate the value of your possessions.
Dark blue icon of three houses

Helpful tools

Click 'GET A QUOTE' to compare up to 63 home insurance providers

You might also be interested in other insurance types

Endsleigh Insurance Services Limited is regulated and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Shurdington Road, Cheltenham Spa, Gloucestershire GL51 4UE. Registered in England no: 856706.