Going on holiday? Be careful what information you share on social media networks.
As the number of smartphone users and social media networks rise, people are sharing too much information about their lives online.
Watch our short video that shows how innocent updates on social networks like Facebook and Twitter could give criminals enough information about you and your holiday plans, making you an easier target for burglary.
Protect yourself online
- Google yourself to find out what information is posted about you online
- Set your account’s privacy controls to “private” and be wary of “friends of friends” permission settings – think about how far this widens your network
- Check which online applications have access to your private data
- Be wary of friend or connect requests from people you’ve never met
- Limit what you publish – such as your date of birth, where you live, details of new purchases, and your evening, weekend and holiday plans