Home insurance

Compare home insurance quotes and save up to £114*

Get a home quote

Retrieve a quote

Buy car, home or van insurance and choose a freebie with Confused.com Rewards

How to claim

    Lidl Plus Logo
    £20 to spend
  • IM0 logo
    12 free car washes
    Halfords logo
    £20 to spend
    Dominos logo
    £20 to spend

*Single annual policy. Lidl Plus app required, 18+, geographical exclusions apply. T&Cs apply. T&Cs apply.

*Based on data provided by Consumer Intelligence Ltd, www.consumerintelligence.com (October '21). 51% of home insurance customers could save £114.45 on a combined policy.

Just three of the great reasons to use Confused.com

"I found this site very helpful and made choosing my home insurance extremely easy and straightforward."
Jenny – Confused.com customer 5 gold stars
of customers would recommend Confused.com after buying home insurance

We compare 65 insurance companies to save you money on your home insurance.

What is home insurance?

Home insurance is a type of insurance that financially protects your home and its contents from events beyond your control. For example, if your contents were stolen or your home was damaged in a fire, you can claim on your home insurance to recover the cost of any repairs or replacements.

What does home insurance cover?

There are two types of cover you can get, buildings insurance and contents insurance. These can be bought separately or combined into one policy based on your needs. Buying a combined home insurance policy from the same insurer is often cheaper than taking out two separate policies.


buildings insurance icon

Buildings insurance covers the permanent fixtures of your house like the roof, walls, floors, bathroom fittings and ceilings. For example, it covers the cost to repair any damage from things like burst pipes, falling trees, subsidence and storm damage.


Blue sofa icon with pound sign

Contents insurance covers the possessions inside your home, like your furniture, TV and other electrical items, home appliances, clothes and jewellery. You can add extra cover for high value items worth more than £1,000, like laptops and bikes.

What type of home insurance do I need?

The type of home insurance you need depends on what you’d like to cover. Our home insurance expert, Jessica Willock, gives her advice on the different policy types to help you decide.

If you own your home, taking out a buildings and contents insurance policy tends to be the most popular option among homeowners. A combined home insurance policy like this could help lower the premium you pay and save you money. It’s worth noting that most mortgage lenders will insist you have at least buildings insurance in place to protect your property.

If you’re renting a property and want to cover your possessions, you’ll need tenants insurance. Also known as contents insurance for renters, it covers your personal belongings. It’s a good option if you live in a rental property and want to protect your contents from damage or theft. You won’t need buildings insurance though, that’s your landlord’s responsibility. Learn more about tenants insurance

If you’re a landlord it’s your responsibility to protect the building and depending on whether the property is furnished, its contents. If you need buildings and contents cover you should consider adding both under one landlord insurance policy. You can add extras to your policy for things like accidental damage, home emergency and legal cover. Learn more about landlord insurance

If you’re a student and you want to protect your belongings like laptops, electricals and musical instruments while you’re away from home, contents cover could help you. Learn more about student contents insurance

If you live in a listed building the cost to replace or repair your home could be higher. Unlike newbuilds, listed properties need to be repaired using original materials and expert methods. Learn more about listed building insurance

If you’re going away for more than 30 days and your property will be left unoccupied, you’ll want to make sure your buildings and contents are protected while you’re not there. Learn more about unoccupied home insurance

Once you’ve decided the type of home insurance you need, it’s time to find the right policy at the best price. Comparing home insurance quotes is a great way to get a cheaper deal compared to renewing an existing policy or going with the first insurer you find.



Exterior and interior view of a home representing buildings and contents insurance

How much does home insurance cost?

There are 3 home policies to choose from. The average annual prices* for each are:

*Feb 2021 data - top average premiums by product type excluding quotes with claims or accidental damage

How to get cheaper home insurance

Our home expert Jessica Willock has put together her top tips to help reduce the cost of your home insurance:

Shop around Icon of a house and calculator

Comparing quotes is the easiest way to find a cheap home insurance deal. Don’t auto renew, instead start a new quote here at Confused.com. You could find the same level of cover you need with a different insurer at a cheaper price.

Buy a combined home insurance policy Icon representing a checklist on a page

If you need buildings and contents insurance, buying both from the same provider could save you money compared to taking out two separate policies.

Increase your excess Icon of pound symbols

If you can afford to pay a higher voluntary excess in the event of a claim, it could help cut the cost of your insurance premium.

Improve your home security extra security shield

Having extra security in place, such as secure locks or installing a burglar alarm, minimises the risk of break-ins so can help reduce your insurance price. 

Build your no-claims bonus Icon of a piece of paper with writing on it

Most insurers offer a discount on your insurance if you’ve been claim free for the previous year. Typically, the more years you go without claiming on your home insurance, the bigger the discount.

Pay for your insurance annually Icon of a piece of paper with a pound symbol

It’s cheaper to pay for your home insurance annually - if you can afford it. Most insurers will charge interest or an admin fee if you opt to pay monthly.

More tips to cut the cost of your home insurance

How to compare home insurance quotes

Use our comparison service to find home insurance policies from over 65 trusted insurance providers. See what deals they can offer you for your home all in one place.

Getting a quote takes about 8 minutes and if you’ve used us before, it’s even quicker.

When you’re ready to start a new home insurance quote, follow these simple steps.

number 1 in a circle

Fill in your details

Fill in some details about your home and belongings to help us find the cover you need.

number 2 in a circle

Compare quotes

We’ll compare home insurance deals from the 65 insurers we work with to help you find the best price.

number 3 in a circle

Choose your insurer

We’ll show you a list of quotes and offers from insurance companies. Simply choose the best option for you.

The details you need to get a home insurance quote

Getting a home insurance quote is quick and easy but having the following details to hand could help speed things up.

Details about your home

Blue house icon with calendar

You’ll need to provide the build date of your home, along with the type of property. We'll also ask the date you moved in or bought your home.

Lock types and alarms

Blue padlock icon

Most insurers need to know the type of locks you have on your external doors. If you’re unsure, our guide on door lock types could help.

The value of your home's contents

Blue sofa icon with pound sign

You can use our contents calculator to estimate the value of your personal belongings.

Details of any previous claims

Blue document icon with pound sign

This will be stated in your renewal documents. If you don't have these to hand, you can contact your previous insurance provider.

The rebuild cost of your property

Blue pound symbol with circular arrows

We’ll automatically estimate the value of your home, or you can enter your own cost. Find out how to calculate the rebuild cost of your home.

Details of your roof type

Blue icon of a house roof

Which materials are used on your roof, such as asphalt, tile, slate or thatched.

Home insurance add-ons for extra cover

There are a number of additional features you can add to your home insurance policy for extra cover, including:

Home emergency cover icon

Home emergency cover provides immediate help for things that could impact your health, your home’s security, or risk of damage. For example, a broken window, issues with plumbing or if your boiler breaks down.

Accidental damage icon

Accidental damage cover can protect you against unintentional accidents in your home. So you'll be covered if you put your foot through the ceiling while working in the attic or spilt red wine on the carpet.

Legal protection icon

Legal protection can help cover the cost of any legal proceedings to do with your home. For example, legal disputes with neighbours or poor work carried out by tradesman on your property.

Blue sofa icon with pound sign

High value items cover can protect belongings worth over £1,000 individually. You can add them to your home insurance quote to protect them if they get lost, damaged or stolen. You can also add cover for bikes or laptops worth more than £150 each. You’ll be given the option to protect them away from home.

Bike cover icon

Bicycle insurance covers the loss, theft or damage to yours or your family's bikes. When you get a quote, you can set each bike’s value which will help you get a like for like replacement if you need to make a claim.

Blue sofa icon with pound sign

Personal possessions cover can protect belongings worth less than £1,000 each away from home. Covering items like cameras, phones, or jewellery if they get lost, stolen or damaged when you’re out of the house.

Alternative accommodation icon

Alternative accommodation can help cover the costs of temporary accommodation if your property is left unhabitable. If you have to evacuate your home in the event of a flood, fire, subsidence or storm damage, your insurer will help you find alternative accommodation and cover the costs while the problem is sorted.

Ultimately it’s your decision on whether you need any of these extras. You may find some insurance providers offer these add-ons as standard, so it’s worth checking the small print of any home insurance policy to see exactly what’s covered.

What our home insurance expert says:

"Don’t settle for your insurers renewal offer. If you’re looking to get the best deal on your home insurance, my top tip is to compare quotes. Don’t jump at the cheapest or first option you see, check the policy details to make sure you have the cover you need. That way, if you need to make claim you won’t be left out of pocket."
Home insurance expert, Jessica Willock's signature
- Jessica Willock, Home Insurance Product Manager

Need more help?

How does coronavirus affect my home insurance?

If you’re working from home as a result of coronavirus, it won’t affect your home insurance policy.

Any work laptops or equipment should be covered under your employer’s liability insurance.

If you’re worried about any personal equipment getting damaged, check your contents policy to see your cover limits and exclusions.

What affects the cost of home insurance?

How much excess should I pay for my home insurance?

Can I get home insurance if I live in a flood risk area?

Is my home insurance valid during building works?

Does home insurance cover the boiler?

Are my belongings only protected inside the home?

Do I need home insurance?

When can I claim on my home insurance?

Will my credit score affect my home insurance?

Does home insurance cover roof leaks?

What is trace and access?

Still got questions? Take a look at our full list of FAQs.

Calculate your home contents

How to estimate the value of your home contents

Patio door locks

Types of patio door locks explained

Moving home checklist

Step-by-step checklist for moving home

Home maintenance

Monthly maintenance checklist for your home

No-claims discount explained

How to build your home no-claims bonus

Home security devices

Improve your home security with these handy devices

Does home insurance cover neighbour damage?

Are you covered if your property is damaged by a neighbour?

Insuring your garden, sheds and outbuildings

All you need to know about insuring your garden contents

What do our customers have to say?

"Very easy and simple to use, straight forward questions and introduces to a range of providers to choose from"
Benjamin - June 2021
5 yellow stars
"Easy to use - good and relevant information - saved me a lot of money"
Antony - June 2021
5 yellow stars
of customers would recommend Confused.com after buying home insurance
After buying home insurance, 96% of Confused.com customers would recommend us (based on 17123 Reviews.co.uk respondents - as of 22/10/21). Read our reviews