If your home is prone to or at risk of flooding there are some measures you can put in place to help minimise the damage:
1. Doors – Installing a flood-resistant front door can dramatically reduce the chances of water entering your home.
2. Flood barriers – If flooding is imminent you can protect your doorways and windows with sand bags or barriers to reduce the risk of damage.
3. Listen out for warnings – Local authorities will typically give plenty of warnings when storms are likely to hit, giving you enough time to prepare.
4. Emergency kit – It’s always a good idea to have an emergency pack at the ready to deal with bad weather situations. Include items such as: Charged phone, torch, emergency phone numbers, matches and candles, food and water, and warm clothes.
5. Store valuables upstairs – including important documents such as passports, and insurance documents.
6. Pets – Don’t forget your furry friend during a flood or storm. Keep pets indoors in a safe space.