Insurance for listed buildings

Protect your historical home and secure your financial future!

Get a home quote

Log in to make it quicker

What is a listed building?

Properties that are listed are of special historical or national importance. Properties built before 1700 are usually listed, and those built from 1700 to 1840 are likely to be listed. You can try contacting your local council or search the Historic England list to find out if your property is listed.

Any changes you want to make to a listed property, like adding an extension, must be agreed by your local council. Making changes without permission could see you fined and you may have to undo your amendments.

Listed buildings are categorised into three types:

  • Grade I: a building of exceptional interest e.g. Blackpool Tower
  • Grade II*: particularly important buildings of more than special interest e.g. Battersea Power Station
  • Grade II: buildings that are of special interest e.g. St. Fagans, Cardiff

What does listed building insurance cover?

A listed buildings insurance policy usually covers the structural part of your property against damage caused by flooding, theft, fire and storms. Your contents can also be protected under the same policy, providing cover for your valuables, such as TVs, electrical goods, and jewellery. 

As well as offering the standard level of home insurance cover, your policy could also protect against the cost of using original materials and expert methods. Some policies offer alternative accommodation cover while your property is being rebuilt or restored.

What details do i need to get a quote?

Comparing insurance is quick and easy, but having the following at hand will help speed things up:

  • The year your house was built - this question is usually pre-filled based on your address
  • The year you bought your house, or if you’re renting, when you moved in
  • Which locks and alarms are fitted - we provide useful lock pictures to help you out
  • Details and cost of any claims you've made in the last five years – this’ll be stated in your renewal documents. Alternatively, contact your current insurer
  • The value of your personal belongings - our contents calculator can help you estimate the value of your contents
  • Details of any high value items worth over £1,000 you wish to insure - for example engagement rings, antiques or expensive computer equipment
  • The rebuild cost of your house – it can be difficult to estimate the rebuild cost for a listed building. You can use our rebuild cost calculator or hire a chartered surveyor to carry out an assessment

Why do I need listed building insurance?

Living in a listed property can come with its problems and it could be your responsibility to ensure that the building remains damage free and close to its original state. 

As the owner of a listed building, you may be legally obliged to restore your property if it suffers any damage.

This might include the use of special materials that could be expensive without the right cover in place. 

You can carry out regular maintenance to reduce any risks:

  • Check your gutters and pipes for blockages, leaks and cracks
  • Inspect your roof for loose or broken tiles and wear and tear
  • Check your walls and ceilings for signs of damp
  • Examine your brickwork for problems like erosion and plant growth

You might also be interested in other insurance types

After buying home insurance, 96% of customers would recommend us (based on 11672 respondents - as of 02/12/20). Read our reviews