What is home insurance?
It's a policy designed to protect your home and possessions.
Cover comes in two parts and you can choose either one or both of these based on your needs:
- Buildings cover insures your bricks and mortar for events like fire and weather damage
- Contents cover could protect your belongings against problems like theft, damage and loss
If you're a landlord, you might need a special kind of cover.
Why do I need home insurance?
Buying a home is likely to be one of the biggest investments you'll ever make, and replacing your things if you suffer a loss could be expensive.
- You could get peace of mind by securing yourself financially in case disaster strikes
If you're a home owner, you might need buildings and contents cover, or just buildings:
- Most mortgage lenders insist that you have buildings cover to protect their investment
- Don't always choose your mortgage lender's policy, shopping around could save you money
If you're renting, you don't usually need buildings cover but you may want contents cover:
- Contents cover could help you with the cost of replacing your goods if you suffer a loss
- Avoid underinsuring your belongings, as your insurer may pay out less if you make a claim
Whichever option you choose, it's important you get the right level of cover for your needs.