1. Home
  2. Car insurance
  3. Car insurance FAQs

Car insurance FAQs

Browse our car insurance FAQs and guides

Getting a quote

Can I get car insurance if the car is in someone else’s name?

You can get insurance in your name if you aren’t the owner of the car, so long as you note this on your policy. Make sure you check the policy documents to ensure the driver has right level of cover.

While applying for quotes on Confused.com, we ask “Whose name is on the registration document?” and “Who owns the car?” You can answer these as ‘Other driver’.

Why isn’t my car registration being recognised?

If your registration isn’t recognised, or your car’s details come up incorrectly, you can choose the option saying you don’t know your car’s registration. You can then enter the information manually.

What marital status should I select if I live with my partner but we aren’t married?

If you and your partner permanently live together, then you would need to select ‘Living with partner/common law’ as your marital status. This indicates to the insurers that while you aren’t married, you have a permanent living arrangement and partnership.

Why can't I enter my car details manually?

If you’ve entered your car’s details correctly and you still can’t select your car, then unfortunately we can’t help you get a quote at this time. Without knowing your exact car details, the prices we show you could be invalid.

Can I get a quote for an ‘any driver’ policy through Confused.com?

Unfortunately, we’re unable to offer ‘any driver’ cover, as many insurers now only deal with named drivers and don’t offer this type of policy.

To learn more, read our guide on any driver insurance.

Does the policyholder have to be the main driver?

Generally, insurance policies are set up with the policyholder also being the main driver of the car. It’s worth noting that it’s illegal for anyone other than the main driver to be placed as the policy holder, this is ‘fronting’.

It’s always advisable to contact the insurance provider you’re interested in before taking out cover. This way you can make them aware of the situation, and ensure you’re suitably protected.

I can’t find my job title, what should I do?

If you can’t find your exact job title, it could be listed under a similar description instead. For example, if you’re an IT manager, try entering ‘computer’ or ‘manager’ to see if another option fits the bill.

If you’re worried that your choice doesn’t describe your job properly, don’t be. You’ll be able to confirm it with your insurer before you commit to buy.

What does the terms imposed question - ‘Have you or any of the drivers ever had insurance declined, cancelled or special terms imposed?’ mean?

We need to know whether you’ve been declined insurance or had a policy cancelled by a provider, rather than doing so yourself.

If you’ve ever cancelled your insurance because you no longer need it, you can answer ‘no’ to this question.

My car has outstanding finance, who do I list as the registered keeper?

When filling in the quote form, you will have to select ‘Company (leased)’. This is like a personal contract purchase (PCP), the only difference being the option to buy at the end of the contract.

If you’re unsure, you can contact your chosen insurer before you buy to discuss.

What difference will it make to my quote if my car is kept on my driveway or in a garage?

If your car’s kept in a garage overnight, it’s better protected and less likely to be stolen or damaged than cars parked in the street.

Where your vehicle is kept at night is one of the factors considered by your insurer when calculating a premium. Stating your car is always kept in the garage overnight could impact on a theft claim if your vehicle is left in the street overnight.

Can I get car insurance through Confused.com if I live in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or the Scilly Islands etc?

Yes. Whether you live in Jersey, Guernsey or Douglas, you can get a quote with us. However, you may have less of a choice of providers than if you live on mainland Britain. This is why it’s always a good idea to compare quotes to get yourself the best deal.

Can two people have two different insurance policies on one car?

No, there can only be one policy per car. However, if more than one person will be driving the car, extra people can be added to the policy as a named driver.

Will exchanging my EU driving licence to a UK licence affect my car insurance cost?

As we don’t administer policies here at Confused.com, we’d suggest contacting your chosen insurance provider to query this further.

Can I get a no-claims bonus (NCB) when buying private car insurance after being in The Motability Scheme?

Unfortunately, if you haven’t held a private car insurance policy in the last two years, you have to state that your NCB is zero.

However, after you’ve declared you have no NCB, you can continue to state that you’ve been driving with your years of no-claims in a car that wasn’t insured by yourself. 

It’s best to contact your chosen insurance provider before buying to discuss your full driving history.

Show more


Can you change insurer if there’s an outstanding claim going on?

It is possible to change insurance providers even if you have an ongoing accident claim.

If you wish to get an insurance policy with a new provider but you have a claim which is ongoing, you’ll need to note the claim when getting a quote. When entering the details of an accident claim, you’ll be asked ‘Was it settled?’, and you can answer this as no.

Please note, you’ll need to enter the cost of the claim, even if it hasn’t yet been settled. However, if you don’t have the cost of the claim, you should check with your insurer to see if you can get an estimate.

Do I have to list non-fault claims when I'm getting a quote?

Yes. All incidents and claims must be listed, whether or not you were deemed to be at fault or made a claim.

For more information, check out our guide on how to claim on your car insurance.

What does claim status “settled” mean?

If a claim has been settled, it means that:

  • The vehicles in the accident have been repaired.
  • Any injury claims have been paid or payment has been agreed in instalments.
  • Any damage to property has also been paid for.

Until this time, the claim will be classed as being unsettled. If you’re unsure whether the claim has been settled, then you need to contact your insurer from the time of the claim to find out.

What do I do if I don’t know the cost of a claim?

You should be able to find out the cost of a claim if you contact the insurer who dealt with it at the time.

If you’re still unsure, you can enter an estimated value – but before buying you should inform your insurer that it’s an estimated value.

After getting your quote

Why did my price increase when I went to the insurance provider’s site?

Insurance providers may offer you additional services, such as breakdown cover or legal protection. If you choose to add any of these to your policy, the price may increase.

Your price can also increase if you change any of your details, such as your occupation or class of use. It’s therefore important that you check your policy details carefully to make sure it’s exactly as you entered it on Confused.com.

If you haven’t added any additional services and haven’t changed any of your details, please contact us to let us know which insurance provider you’re having this problem with. We can then look into it for you.

I’ve got a complaint about an insurance provider on your panel. How do I take this further?

We hope that all our customers are happy with the quotes and the level of service offered by the insurance providers on our panel.

However, in the unlikely event that you wish to make a complaint about a quote or the service you’ve received from a particular provider, please email details of the problem to complaints@confused.com. We’ll then investigate the issue for you.

When emailing us, make sure you include the name of the insurance provider. Also include your full name, date of birth and postcode. That way we can identify you and deal with your complaint more quickly.

What can I do if all insurance companies have stopped showing quotes for me?

Some providers are only able to produce a certain number of quotes per customer. After the limit’s been reached, they’ll no longer be able to give quotations online.

Unfortunately, this does mean that you’ll need to contact them directly by phone to get further quotes.

However, you could still give them a quote reference number you’ve previously had from our site. You can then choose to buy a policy from one of your previous quotes over the phone.

Compare car insurance quotes from up to 142 insurance companies

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get in touch
After buying car insurance, 96% of Confused.com customers would recommend us (based on 130715 Reviews.co.uk respondents - as of 25/01/23). Read our reviews