Coronavirus (Covid-19) - important information 2nd March 2021
You'll be unable to get a quote for single trip or backpacker policies to international destinations for trips that start before 17th May 2021 on this website. If you're travelling in the UK, you'll be unable to get a quote for single trip or backpacker policies for trips that start before 12th April 2021.
You can only travel if you're legally permitted to do so. The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) has more information.
If you travel against FCDO advice, you won't be covered by any travel insurance policy you buy. If this advice remains in place after 12th April for the UK and 17th May for international destinations, and you choose to travel, you won't be covered.
For travel advice on your destination, you should check the FCDO for the latest information.
If you have any queries, you should check your policy wording or contact your chosen provider before you buy.
- 28% of our customers who bought travel insurance in 2014 were over 50, so it could be useful no matter your age!
- The Foreign office claims that 1 in 10 over 55's don't always take out travel insurance when going away
- Compare various rates and levels of cover so your travels are as worry-free as possible
- Medical treatment and repatriation back to the UK if you are unwell or get injured whilst on holiday
- Holiday cancellations cover could come in handy if you are forced to cancel your trip
- Baggage, personal possessions and money cover could also help you out if your items are stolen or accidentally lost
- Most policies provide a 24 hour helpline for use in an emergency
- Declare any pre-existing medical conditions that you or your travel party may have (or may have developed during the term of your policy)
- It’s strongly recommended to get your travel insurance in advance as you might not fully benefit from cancellation cover (In 2012, 16% of people bought travel insurance through Confused.com the day before travelling, meaning that they could have potentially missed out on cover for cancellations).
- If you’re going on a family holiday, it’s worth noting that family policies are limited for up to 2 adults and 8 children who should be under the age of 18.
You could find lots of great prices just by entering your details once. We search through our network of travel insurance companies – including insurers that specialise in policies for older travellers such as Coverwise and Saga.
- We aim to find quotes tailored specifically for your needs
- Your travel insurance policy documents could be emailed to you within an hour (check that you've entered your email address correctly and check your junk and spam folders)
- We offer a wide range of travel guides that could help you with your travels
If you have a pre-existing medical condition, you can still get a quote through Confused.com. These conditions could include cancer, stroke, serious heart, respiratory and terminal conditions.
Some insurers might not cover you if you already have a serious medical condition, or if you have a number of conditions. Others might only offer insurance at a much higher price. If you're unable to find suitable cover, the Money and Pension Service (MaPS) has also set up a directory of insurers willing to cover customers with pre-existing medical conditions.
You can contact the Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) or you can telephone 0800 138 7777.
Our service is free and compares a wide range of trusted household names. Confused.com is an intermediary and receives commission from theidol.com if you decide to buy through our website which is based on a percentage of the total annual premium. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don't promote any one insurance provider over another.