1. Home
  2. Travel insurance
  3. Over 50 travel insurance

Over 50s travel insurance

Compare travel insurance for over 50s

Retrieve quote
  • Choose add-ons like golf and sports cover

  • Personal possessions and money cover

  • Compare different types of policies such as business, single trip or multi trip

What is over 50s travel insurance?

It’s simply travel insurance that covers you in your 50s. There’s nothing particularly different or specialist about travel insurance for over 50s. Prices won't really be all that different compared to someone in their 20s or 30s.

You might see price increases or fewer insurers if you have a pre-existing health condition, but this would be the same for someone of any age. There’s no upper age limit with these policies, so you might see less insurers in the results only when you get into your 80s or 90s.

Insurance naturally goes up in price the older you get for travel, but being in your 50s, you don’t really have to worry too much in terms of price and availability of insurers.

What does travel insurance cover?

An over 50s travel policy will cover the same as a standard policy. This may include:

  • Medical treatment and return travel to the UK if you’re unwell or are injured on holiday
  • Cancellation cover if your holiday is cancelled or you can't go on your trip
  • Baggage, personal possessions and money cover if your items are lost or stolen

An over 50s travel insurance policy might offer slightly enhanced medical benefits or no age limits on the cover.

It’s important to check exactly what is and isn’t covered to get the best value cover. Terms will vary between different policies and insurance companies.

What doesn't it cover?

Common exclusions for over 50s travel insurance include

  • Travelling against FCDO advice. When travelling, always follow the latest government advice.
  • Failure to declare any pre-existing medical conditions. If you have a medical condition, you should get a pre-existing conditions insurance quote to make sure you're covered on your trip.
  • Incidents involving alcohol or drugs.
  • Activities or sports, unless you've included them as extras. Let your insurer know if you're doing anything such as skiing or adventure sports.
  • Waiting too long to report an incident. You need to declare any lost or stolen personal possessions usually within 24 hours. But this should be detailed in the policy.

Make sure you're familiar with all the exclusions on your policy before you travel, and always make sure you're honest when getting a quote.

How much does over 50s travel insurance cost?

The cost of your policy varies depending on:

  • Where you’re travelling - for example, travelling to the USA is likely to cost more than Europe
  • How long you’re away for - the longer the trip, the more you're likely to pay
  • If you have a pre-existing medical condition
  • If you want to add any extras to your policy, like golf or cruise cover

Here are the average costs of 1 week policies for some of the most popular destinations around the world:1:

Destination Cheapest premium for 1 week1

1The cheapest over 50 policies by worldwide destinations. Based on 1 adult aged 55, with no previous medical conditions travelling for 1 week. Confused.com data - February 2024.

We compare 43 trusted travel insurance companies to find you our best deals

AA car insurance logo
Post Office car insurance logo
Admiral car insurance logo

What are the main types of over 50s cover?

There are several types of cover to choose from, each designed to suit a different type of trip. They include:

Single trip travel insurance

Covers you for 1 trip to a single destination. Depending on the insurer this could be up to a month or longer.

Annual travel insurance

Sometimes known as multi-trip, this type of cover is for people who make multiple trips in a 12-month period. It usually covers you for an unlimited number of trips in a year, but each trip is usually limited to 31 days. Some travel insurance providers offer policies that cater for longer individual trips.

Backpacker travel insurance

Could be useful if you're planning on going travelling around multiple countries. These policies cover you for between 1 and 18 months and may be ideal sabbaticals from work or early retirement.

Business travel insurance

Provides cover for your laptop and other business equipment while abroad, as well as any company money that’s lost or stolen.

What optional extras are available?

To get the right level of cover for your trip, you can add optional extras to your policy:

  • Golf cover insures your equipment. This isn't always available with over 50s cover, so check your policy.
  • Cruise cover covers your cruise for unscheduled stops or missing a port. It also covers you for medical emergencies on board and cabin confinement.
  • Specialist sports cover includes water and winter sports.
  • Gadget cover can help if the cover limit on a standard policy isn’t high enough for your gadgets.
  • Single item cover for those travelling with items that exceed the single item limit, like a watch or jewellery.

Compare over 50s travel insurance quotes

What information do I need for an over 50s travel insurance quote?

To get a quote we'll need information about:

  • The dates you’re travelling
  • The country or countries you’ll be visiting
  • Any pre-existing medical conditions

For annual trips, you don’t need to include specific travel dates or holiday details as you may not have booked them all. But you do need to specify the parts of the world you want to include.

Can I get a quote with a serious pre-existing medical condition?

Yes, you can still get a quote with us for over 50s travel insurance if you have a medical condition. We have a range of insurers who offer quotes for many declared serious medical conditions. Bear in mind that you may find fewer results, though, depending on your situation. We may ask if you’ve seen a doctor in the last 2 years and whether you’re currently waiting for any tests or investigations.

These conditions include:

  • Cancer
  • Stroke
  • Serious heart conditions
  • Respiratory conditions
  • Terminal conditions

You must tell your insurer about any conditions or illness so they can confirm if any claims relating to them will be covered. Cover for some conditions could make your policy more expensive. If you don’t tell your insurer about a medical condition, this could invalidate a claim and you could be left with a hefty bill.

Not all insurers offer cover for pre-existing medical conditions. If you’re unable to find suitable cover, the Money and Pension Service (MaPS) has also set up a directory of insurers willing to cover customers with pre-existing medical conditions. You can phone them on 0800 138 7777 for free impartial advice.

What our travel insurance expert says

''There aren’t really any differences between a travel policy in your 30s and 40s and one your 50s and beyond. The only real difference is perhaps a minimal price difference, as the risk of getting injured or becoming ill when abroad increases as you get older.''

''The easiest way to do stay covered is to get a quote and compare your options.''

Matthew Harwood, Home & lifestyle insurance expert at Confused.com
Home & lifestyle insurance expert Confused.com logo

Will my EHIC or GHIC cover me while I'm on holiday?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) work only in Europe and only to a minimal extent. Since the UK left the EU in 2020, your EHIC doesn't cover you if it’s expired. You need to have a valid EHIC or apply for a GHIC to get state-level medical treatment.

But these cards don't replace travel insurance. You should still have a travel insurance policy with the right level of medical cover included.

Why choose Confused.com?

  • We compare quotes using our 43 trusted travel insurance providers. All of our providers are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). This means we have to follow a set of strict guidelines in terms of how we operate and serve our customers.
  • We're rated 'Excellent' on Trustpilot.
  • Our team of experts review all our content to ensure we're always providing our customers with accurate information.
  • We're 100% independent, not owned by an insurance company so prices we show are the best available based on the information you provide.

Compare over 50s travel insurance quotes

What are the different types of travel insurance?

Travel insurance articles

Page last reviewed: 22 August 2023

Reviewed by: Matthew Harwood

Confused.com’s Travel Insurance solution is provided by theIdol.com. theidol.com is a trading style of Investment Discounts On-Line Ltd and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Investment Discounts On-Line Ltd, One Coleman Street, London, EC2R 5AA. Registered in England no: 04231834. theidol.com is part of the Legal & General group.

Our service is free and compares a wide range of trusted household names. Confused.com is an intermediary and receives commission from theidol.com if you decide to buy through our website which is based on a percentage of the total annual premium. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don't promote any one insurance provider over another.