Coronavirus (Covid-19) - important information 3 July 2020
The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) has lifted its advice against non-essential international travel. This means you can travel to a number of countries from Saturday 4 July.
However, the FCDO still advises against travelling to many countries. So check the FCDO for the latest advice before you go. If you buy travel insurance and then travel to a country that the FCDO advises against visiting, your travel insurance won’t cover you. You won’t be covered for any cancellations either.
Coronavirus is what they call a “known event”. So some insurers may exclude this type of event from the cover they offer you. If in doubt, check the policy wording or contact your chosen insurer before you buy.
However, all policies bought through Confused.com include cover for emergency medical expenses and repatriation - even if you contract Covid-19 abroad. This is so long as you’re not travelling against FCDO advice.
- 28% of our customers who bought travel insurance in 2014 were over 50, so it could be useful no matter your age!
- The Foreign office claims that 1 in 10 over 55's don't always take out travel insurance when going away
- Compare various rates and levels of cover so your travels are as worry-free as possible
- Medical treatment and repatriation back to the UK if you are unwell or get injured whilst on holiday
- Holiday cancellations cover could come in handy if you are forced to cancel your trip
- Baggage, personal possessions and money cover could also help you out if your items are stolen or accidentally lost
- Most policies provide a 24 hour helpline for use in an emergency
- Declare any pre-existing medical conditions that you or your travel party may have (or may have developed during the term of your policy)
- It’s strongly recommended to get your travel insurance in advance as you might not fully benefit from cancellation cover (In 2012, 16% of people bought travel insurance through Confused.com the day before travelling, meaning that they could have potentially missed out on cover for cancellations).
- If you’re going on a family holiday, it’s worth noting that family policies are limited for up to 2 adults and 8 children who should be under the age of 18.
You could find lots of great prices just by entering your details once. We search through our network of travel insurance companies – including insurers that specialise in policies for older travellers such as Coverwise and Saga.
- We aim to find quotes tailored specifically for your needs
- Your travel insurance policy documents could be emailed to you within an hour (check that you've entered your email address correctly and check your junk and spam folders)
- We offer a wide range of travel guides that could help you with your travels
Our service is free and compares a wide range of trusted household names. Confused.com is an intermediary and receives commission from theidol.com if you decide to buy through our website which is based on a percentage of the total annual premium. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don't promote any one insurance provider over another.