1. Home
  2. Travel insurance
  3. Pregnancy travel insurance

Pregnancy travel insurance

Travel insurance works the same whether you're pregnant or not. As long as you don't have any related medical conditions, you don't even have to declare your pregnancy to your insurance company. But letting them know means you can make sure your policy has the right level of cover.

There may still be some restrictions if you're planning to travel while pregnant. It's best to know about these beforehand to avoid having to cancel your trip, or risk not being covered.

To learn more about getting travel insurance while you're pregnant, read below. Or, if you're ready to compare prices, select 'Get a quote' to get started.

Confused.com C icon
Our expert panel review all content. Learn more about our editorial standards and how we operate.

Ready to get a travel insurance quote?

Get a quote

Can I get travel insurance if I'm pregnant?

Yes, travel insurance companies will still cover you if you're pregnant. It shouldn't be any harder to find cover than if you weren't pregnant. It also shouldn't affect the price you pay for travel insurance. Single-trip travel insurance starts from £4.26*. Multi-trip is usually slightly more expensive, starting from £11.85*.

It's worth thinking about what stage of pregnancy you'll be at when you're away. Some insurers won't cover you if you're more than 28 weeks pregnant. Others will insure you further into your pregnancy, but most are unlikely to provide cover after 37 weeks (or 32 if you're expecting twins). This is because your chance of giving birth while travelling increases after this point. You're also unlikely to be covered for planned labour and birth.

Just make sure you follow travel advice and read all policy documents to ensure you're covered in case the unexpected happens.

*The cheapest single trip policy based on 1 adult aged 30, with no previous medical conditions travelling in Spain for 1 week. Confused.com data, May 2024.

*The cheapest annual policy based on 1 adult aged 30, with no previous medical conditions travelling in Europe. Based on Confused.com data, April 2024.

Do I need specialist pregnancy travel insurance?

No - pregnancy isn't considered a medical condition, so standard single-trip and annual travel insurance policies should cover you. If you're planning on travelling for an extended period of time, you might need long-stay or backpacker travel insurance.

But there are complications and additional risks that can arise as a result of pregnancy. Any existing cover you have in place may not offer the right level of protection. So, it's worth comparing quotes to find the right policy for you.

Do I need pregnancy travel insurance if I have an EHIC or GHIC card?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) - and its replacement, the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) - aren't a substitute for travel insurance.

These cards allow you to access state-level healthcare for the same price a local citizen would pay. So, depending on where you're travelling you might still have to pay for any medical treatment you get. A travel insurance policy covers additional costs.

Travel insurance also covers more than just medical costs. Buying a policy as soon as you book your trip means you're covered for things like lost or stolen luggage and flight cancellations, even in the lead-up to your trip. Although most travel insurance policies won't cover cancellations due to pregnancy alone, some will cover cancellations if you can't travel due to pregnancy complications.

Do I need to declare my pregnancy to my travel insurance provider?

No, you don't have to declare your pregnancy to your insurer. But, telling them means you can make sure your policy is tailored to your needs.

You should tell your insurer if you have any medical conditions associated with your pregnancy though. This ensures any potential risks and complications are factored into your policy. Otherwise, your insurance won't cover claims for medical care relating to your pregnancy.

What does travel insurance cover?


A travel insurance policy should include cover for:

  • Medical treatment in case you're unwell while abroad
  • Emergency repatriation back to the UK if you can't travel by your pre-booked transport
  • Holiday and flight cancellations if you've been advised by your doctor not to travel, although this varies between providers
  • Your luggage and money in case they are lost, stolen or damaged during your stay
  • Travel expenses like food and alternative accommodation if there are travel delays
  • Expenses associated with extending your trip in case you give birth while you're abroad

It won't normally cover:

  • Travelling if you're more than 28 weeks pregnant
  • Routine maternity care or planned birth
  • Travelling against Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) advice
  • Any undeclared pre-existing medical conditions
  • Incidents involving alcohol or drugs
  • Incidents that aren't reported to local authorities or your insurance company within 24 hours

Expert quote

"If you're pregnant, getting a travel insurance policy shouldn't be any harder than it was before you were expecting. It also shouldn't impact the cost of your policy, since insurers don't usually consider it to be a medical condition. But, some insurers may impose their own limits and restrictions. You might find that some won't cover you after 28 weeks. Others might offer cover for longer, although it's unlikely that you'll find cover if you're close to full term. It's worth checking policy details before you buy to make sure you're covered for your trip."
Alvaro Iturmendi - Confused.com travel insurance expert
Travel insurance expert Confused.com logo

Is it safe to fly when pregnant?

Current NHS advice doesn't advise against flying while pregnant. If you take the proper precautions, it should be safe. But it's worth speaking to your doctor or midwife before you travel.

The first 12 weeks of pregnancy can be associated with nausea, vomiting, tiredness and a higher risk of miscarriage. This may mean you want to avoid travelling during this time.

Travelling towards the end of your pregnancy is generally riskier too. The chances of going into labour increase at around 37 weeks, or 32 weeks if you're expecting twins. Even if you can find an insurance policy to cover you past 28 weeks, many airlines won't allow you to travel once you're more than 29 weeks pregnant. If they do, they may ask for a letter from your doctor or midwife confirming you're safe to travel.

What happens if I go into labour abroad?

Some higher level policies cover unexpected premature birth, although most won't cover a planned birth abroad. Your baby should automatically be included on your insurance policy, but it's worth checking your policy details.

If you do go into labour during your trip, your policy should cover any related costs. This includes medical bills and the cost of extending your trip. Many airlines won't let you fly with a newborn until they're at least 2 weeks old. This can be even longer if your baby is born prematurely, so you may have to delay your return home.

Tips for travelling when pregnant

  • Check that your doctor or midwife is happy for you to travel

    They may advise against it if you're suffering from certain complications or conditions that could be worsened by flying or longer periods of travel.

  • Check the airline's guidelines

    Most airlines won't let you fly towards the end of your pregnancy. Additionally, if your trip involves air travel for 4 hours or more, there's a slightly increased risk of blood clots, known as deep vein thrombosis (DVT). When flying, the NHS recommends drinking plenty of water and moving around every 30 minutes or so to help reduce the risk of DVT.

  • Check with your cruise operator

    It's important to check if you're okay to travel. Most won't allow you to sail once you reach 24 weeks.

  • Check the policy details

    Cover levels and exclusions relating to pregnancy can vary between insurers, so check you're happy with your level of cover before you travel.

  • Take a copy of your travel insurance with you

    This includes policy documents and any emergency contact information. If you have an EHIC or GHIC, you should also carry this with you.

  • Check for any vaccinations or anti-malaria medication you might need

    Non-live (inactivated) vaccines are safe to use in pregnancy, but the NHS doesn't recommend vaccines that use live bacteria or viruses. This is because of concerns that they could harm the baby in the womb. But, if you need to travel somewhere requiring a live vaccination, the NHS recommends getting the jabs if the risk of infection outweighs the risk of live vaccination. There are certain anti-malaria medications that are also unsafe during pregnancy. Your GP or midwife will be able to give you advice on which are okay to use.

  • Avoid locations that are high-risk for Zika virus

    It can be especially harmful to pregnant women and their babies. The NHS recommends avoiding countries that are at risk. If you're unsure whether your travel destination has a risk of Zika virus, you can check the Travel Health Pro website.

  • Keep a copy of your medical notes with you

    This includes maternity notes and information about any medication you're taking. If your GP has given you a fit-to-fly letter, you should also bring this. This will all help should you need treatment while you're away.

How do I get a quote?

No matter what stage of pregnancy you're at, we're here to help. If you've bought travel insurance with us before, you just need to log in to your account and check your details are up to date.

Otherwise, just follow these steps to get a quote:

  • Choose the type of cover you need - single trip, annual or backpacker travel insurance
  • Enter some details about yourself and where you’re travelling
  • Select the start and end date of your trip
  • Declare any pre-existing medical conditions, including any that are a result of your pregnancy
  • Add any extra cover you need, like cruise cover and business travel insurance

We’ll then compare pregnancy travel insurance quotes from our panel of providers.

What are the different types of travel insurance?

Travel insurance guides

Confused.com’s Travel Insurance solution is provided by theIdol.com. theidol.com is a trading style of Investment Discounts On-Line Ltd and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Investment Discounts On-Line Ltd, One Coleman Street, London, EC2R 5AA. Registered in England no: 04231834. theidol.com is part of the Legal & General group.

Our service is free and compares a wide range of trusted household names. Confused.com is an intermediary and receives commission from theidol.com if you decide to buy through our website which is based on a percentage of the total annual premium. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don't promote any one insurance provider over another.