1. Home
  2. Home insurance
  3. Over 50s home insurance

Over 50s home insurance

Compare home insurance for over 50s

Buy home insurance and choose a freebie with Confused.com Rewards*

  • Get a quote in just 8 minutes

  • Compare quotes from up to 64 home insurance companies1

  • 96% of our home insurance customers would recommend us on reviews.io

1Correct as of December, 2022

*Single annual policy. Lidl Plus app required 18+, HelloFresh 18+ subscription service, geographical exclusions apply. T&Cs apply

What is over 50s home insurance?

If you’re over 50 you might benefit from cheaper home insurance costs. Insurers may see you as less of a risk, which helps to bring down your overall price. For example, you might be more security conscious or more likely to keep your home in good condition.

We compare insurers like Rias and Saga, who offer specialist home insurance policies for over 50s.

Is home insurance cheaper for over 50s?

Insurers base their prices on different factors, for example your claims history and where you live. But generally, over 50s pay less for insurance.

In fact, we found that over 50s could be paying around £26 less for their combined home insurance, with the average insurance price being £158**.

**Based on Confused.com data from July 2022. The average combined policy for over 50s was £158.39. Those below the age of 50 paid an average of £184.63 for the same type of policy.

There could be a few reasons for this:

  • You’re an experienced home owner, so you’ll have more knowledge of home maintenance.
  • You've got more experience of buying home insurance. As a result, you'll probably be more accurate when it comes to working out how much buildings and contents cover you need.
  • You might have invested in home security. Insurers like this because it shows you’re trying to keep your home secure. If your home is ever broken into, you might have evidence on film, which could help if you make a claim.
  • Generally, over 50s are more honest about what they’ve claimed for in the past.
  • You might be working part time, or you might be retired so you could be at home more often than if you were working full time.

What are the benefits of over 50s home insurance?

Besides the discounts, there are other benefits to over 50s home insurance. Some of these might include:

  • A wider choice of cover, thanks to specialist insurers who might have cover options for over 50s that standard home insurers might not have
  • Higher levels of cover for both buildings and contents insurance. For example, you could get a ‘new for old’ policy included at standard. So, if your old washing machine packs up, you could get a new one
  • Discounts for security devices, because having security devices help insurers if you make a claim, as well as deterring thieves in the first place
  • Extended cover for second homes that could cover you if you have a holiday home or unoccupied second home. Some insurers may cover your second home for 6 weeks or more. A standard home insurance policy might only cover an empty home for 30 days
  • Cover for mobility aids like scooters, stair lifts or electric wheelchairs
  • What are the different types of home insurance?

    There are 2 main types of home insurance policy – buildings insurance and contents insurance.

    Buildings insurance covers your home’s structure. For example, if a tree falls through your roof your buildings insurance policy should cover it.

    Contents insurance usually covers your possessions and most furnishings in your house. For example, electrical equipment like TVs, laptops and white goods.

    It also covers sofas, carpets, rugs and curtains.

    Buy home insurance and choose a freebie with Rewards

    *Single annual policy. Lidl Plus app required 18+, HelloFresh 18+ subscription service, geographical exclusions apply. T&Cs apply

    Lidl Plus logo £20 to spend
    IMO logo 12 free car washes
    Halfords logo £20 to spend
    HelloFresh Logo Free recipe box

    What add-ons are available with a over 50s home insurance policy?

    Over 50s home insurance is available with a few add-ons that could be useful.

    Some may already be included in your home insurance policy or may be added to your policy for an extra cost:

    • Accidental damage cover
    • Legal protection
    • High-value items cover
    • Personal possessions cover
    • Home emergency cover
    • Alternative accommodation cover

      Accidental damage cover can provide cover for any damage that was caused by an unintentional accident. For example, if your grandchildren decided to get creative on your freshly wall-papered living room.

      You can also get accidental damage insurance as an add on for your buildings insurance policy. So, if you were working in the attic and you put your foot through the ceiling, your accidental damage policy should cover you.

      Legal protection provides cover for any legal expenses relating to your home. It’s useful if you have any legal disputes with your neighbours or tradespeople.

      High-value items cover protects individual items in your home that are worth over £1,000. Adding these to your home insurance policy means they should be covered if they’re lost, damaged or stolen.

      Personal possessions cover works in a similar way to high-value items cover, but it insures your items worth under £1,000 when they’re away from home. For example, if you were wearing a necklace worth under £1,000 and you lost it while you were out, your personal possessions insurance could cover it.

      Home emergency cover provides immediate help for any issues with your home that could affect your health. For example, if your window smashes in a storm your policy means your insurer should be able to organise a quick repair and cover the cost.

      Alternative accommodation cover means that your insurer will help you find somewhere to stay and cover the costs should you need to relocate. This could be because your home suddenly becomes uninhabitable, due to flood or storm damage for example.

      What details do I need to get an over 50s home insurance quote?

      Getting a quote for an over 50s home insurance policy through us is relatively simple. You just need the following information:

      • Your home’s build date can be found on your mortgage survey or your home buyers report. If you can’t find your home’s build date, we can estimate it for you.
      • Details of any previous claims in the last 5 years. You’ll usually find these listed on your renewal document. If you can’t find it you can contact your previous insurer who should be able to send it to you.
      • Lock types and alarms because the insurer will need to know what types of locks and alarms you have in your home to properly assess the risk. If you don’t know what type of locks and alarms you have, you can use the pictures we include in our quote form to identify them.
      • The rebuild cost of your home can either be an estimate made by us, or you can use our rebuild cost calculator to work it out. Alternatively, a surveyor can assess the property to work out the rebuild cost.
      • The value of your contents including furniture, gadgets, clothing an so on. If you don’t know this, try using our contents calculator.
      • The type of roof your home has whether it's slate, tile, or something more unique like a thatched roof. We'll also need to know if you have a flat roof covering any part of your property.

      Compare home insurance quotes from up to 64 insurance companies1

      What our home insurance expert says

      If you’re over 50, you’re likely to be an experienced homeowner. This can work in your favour because you’ll often find better home insurance prices if you’ve been claim free for a number of years. It’s worth keeping your eyes peeled for insurers that specialise in home insurance for over 50’s to get the best deal.
      Jessica Willock home insurance expert signature

      Jessica Willock

      Home insurance product manager

      Need more help?

      Do I need over 50s home insurance if I move into a retirement home?

      Usually your buildings insurance will be covered by the retirement home you move into. You could potentially be covering this with the management fee.

      They may not provide cover for your belongings though, so you may need to take out a separate contents insurance policy.

      It’s worth checking what’s included under the retirement home’s insurance policy before you move in.

      Does over 50s home insurance cover my mobility scooter?

      One of the benefits of over 50s home insurance is that you can get cover for mobility aids like your mobility scooter or electric wheelchair. This might come as standard on your over 50s contents insurance policy, or it might be an extra add on. Always check your policy documents so you know what’s covered. 

      How much cover do I need?

      For buildings insurance, the amount of cover you need is how much it would cost to completely rebuild your house from scratch.

      Bear in mind that the rebuild cost of a house is often less than its market value.

      For contents insurance, think about everything you own. This includes all of your furniture, clothes, jewellery and appliances. Even the food in your cupboards and freezer count.

      Then think about how much it would cost to replace every single item after a fire, or a flood. Go room by room and tot up the cost of everything in the house. That should give you a good indication of how much contents cover you need.

      Do I need buildings insurance if I own my home outright?

      There’s no legal requirement for getting a buildings insurance policy. Mortgage lenders usually insist on it as a condition of the mortgage, but if you own your home outright this doesn’t apply to you.

      So you don’t need home insurance, but it’s still worth considering for extra peace of mind. Should something happen and your home is damaged or destroyed, your buildings insurance is there to cover that cost.

      Show more
      After buying home insurance, 96% of Confused.com customers would recommend us (based on 28304 Reviews.co.uk respondents - as of 17/10/22). Read our reviews