Van insurance FAQs

Can't find what you're looking for? Get in touch

Why do I need van insurance?

Having van insurance is a legal requirement. It could also cover you both financially in the event of your van being damaged and physically for any injuries to passengers, pedestrians or other drivers and their vehicles or property.

What will I need to get a quote?

It won’t take you long to get a quote from However, to speed up the process, here’s what you’ll need on hand before you can get a quote:

  • Driver Details: We need information about the driver, and any additional drivers that want to be insured. We need details of your licence, employment status, whether you’ve had claims and/or convictions, and any existing no-claims bonus.

  • Vehicle Details: You’ll get a more accurate quote if you give us all the details of your van – including the model, number plate, fuel type and whether any modifications or additional security has been added.

  • Policy Details: We’ll need to know how you’re going to use your van on a day-to-day basis, whether for work or personal use. This’ll determine the type of cover you need. If it’s for your own business, let us know, as some insurers give a discount the longer you’ve been trading. This is also a good time to let us know your annual mileage.

Ready to get a quote?

Compare quotes from up to 50 van insurance providers to find the best deal.

Or log in to retrieve your previous quotes

I've entered my details but can't find my van. What do I do?

If you’re entering your van’s details into the website, you might find it easier to find a match if you have your registration documents to hand, as some details (like the year of manufacture) can differ to the year of purchase.

If you’re still not able to find the right van, then you may need to call Vast Visibility on 0844 409 8534 for further information. Calls will cost 5 pence per minute, plus your phone company's access charge.

What factors contribute to the price of my policy?

The price of your insurance policy can be the result of multiple factors, including the value of your van, any modifications made to your van, how powerful the van is and any security systems. There are ways to cut the cost of van insurance but you might have to make some sacrifices!

I've got a pick-up truck. How do I get a quote for it?

Most of the insurers on our car insurance panel don’t quote for pick-up trucks, but if you enter your pick-up’s details in a van insurance quote instead, we should be able to get some prices for you.

Why are pick-up trucks classed as vans?

Insurance companies usually class pick-up trucks as vans because of their long wheel base, and the fact they often exceed 3.5 tonnes. You'll often find 4x4 utility vehicles falling into the same category.

What type of cover do I need?

Choose between a private or commercial policy, then pick the level of cover you need. There are three main levels of cover available with van insurance - third party only, third party fire & theft, and comprehensive.

They work the same way as they do with a car insurance policy, with the level of protection and cover increasing across each. You can read more about what they cover in our guide.

What's the difference between commercial and private van use?

Commercial or business van insurance permits the driver to carry out a trade or profession using the van, such as making deliveries or transporting tools and equipment. Private van insurance allows you to use your vehicle for social reasons only.

Will I need additional cover if my van insurance is for business?

Different businesses will need different levels of cover. For example, if you use your van as a mobile food vender, you’ll need more cover than a self-employed delivery driver, as the public will be directly interacting with your van. 

To make sure you’re fully protected, you might want to consider these additional business policies:

Legal cover: If you ever have to go to court because of an accident that wasn't your fault, legal cover can take care of some of the costs for you.

Public liability insurance: You'll need this if members of the public visit your business premises or if you organise events that are attended by the public. It'll cover you in case anyone suffers an injury or damage to property as a result of your business.

Employer's liability insurance: Similar to public liability insurance, it'll cover you if a member of staff injures themselves at work.

Breakdown cover: Pretty self-explanatory... If you rely on your business for your income, you don't want to break down and lose a day's work. Cover could save you a lot of stress.

Can I transfer my car's no claims bonus to my van?

No, the no claims bonus applies to a single vehicle only. Some insurers will give discounts on a second policy, but you need to check with individual insurers to find out if they offer such incentives.

What are the different categories of use?

  • Social use only
  • Carriage of own goods
  • Carriage of own good for hire and reward
  • Courier and haulier

Will my no claims bonus apply to a second van?

In a nutshell no. Your no-claims bonus can only apply to any one vehicle at any one time but you can transfer it over to an alternative one. As an incentive, a number of insurers offer discounts on insuring a second van by mirroring your no-claims bonus.

Any other questions?

Our handy van insurance guides may hold the answers.