Pickup truck insurance

You could save up to £259* when you buy van insurance

Get a pickup quote

Retrieve a quote

A selection of our 50 trusted van insurance providers

Admiral insurance logo
Churchill insurance logo
Complete Cover insurance logo
Direct Choice insurance logo
Gladiator Insurance logo
Hastings insurance logo
More than insurance logo
Natwest insurance logo
Performance Direct insurance logo
Swiftcover insurance logo

*Based on Online independent research by Consumer Intelligence (Oct' 17). 50% of van insurance customers could save up to £259.81.

What should I know about pickup truck insurance?

Because of their wide range of uses and growing popularity in the UK, most insurers treat pickup trucks as vans rather than cars. But how can you determine what is the best policy for you?

It is going to depend on a range of factors, including the truck type, its usual cargo and daily use. It’s important to investigate thoroughly what type of policy is going to provide the best cover for you, and offer all the protection you need. Fill in our easy quote form, and we can start comparing policies and prices for you, in just a few minutes.

One of the most important questions we’ll ask will be the class of use you need, which will generally fall into one of two categories:
  • Commercial use
  • Private use

Commercial insurance policy

  • If you use your pickup truck in connection with your business, you’ll need to take out a commercial insurance policy, by choosing either the ‘Own goods’ or ‘Haulage’ options in our quote form
  • Insurers will usually treat your pickup truck in the same way as a van of similar size, offering similar policies, prices and level of cover options
  • Commercial policies could be extended to cover carrying hazardous goods, specialist tools and materials, or equipment and modifications like winches and snorkels

Private use policy

  • Many insurers will not offer private insurance policies for pickup trucks over a certain size e.g. the Toyota Hilux, automatically classing them as LCV's (Light Commercial Vehicles), but this is worth checking
  • If a private use policy is available for your pickup, it will offer similar levels of cover to most car insurance policies, with no allowance for use in connection with work
  • If you’re unsure about the level of cover you need, you can find out more in our guide to insurance classes-of-use
Getting the right policy for your pickup truck will help make sure you get the best protection possible, where and when you need it. If you use your pickup for haulage, you might also want to look into goods in transit or courier policies, as they may offer better protection for your specific needs.

Why compare pickup truck insurance with Confused.com?

Whether your pickup is used for work or just socially, it is a legal requirement that you have an active insurance policy in place covering it at all times. At Confused.com, we want to help you understand the insurance you pay for, get the right level of cover, and pay the right price.

  • With so many details coming together to determine your pickup truck insurance premium, getting a good price can be difficult.
  • Our articles and guides areas are full of useful hints and tips to help you drive down the cost of your pickup truck insurance
  • To get started, click the ‘Get a quote’ button above, and in a few minutes we can compare big brand names across the UK to find you our best deals

Useful information

Read our related guides to learn more

Do you really know what you're buying? 
Has the van been stolen or written off?
Enter a reg plate to see a vehicle's past.

read more
Confused.com van insurance is administered by Vast Visibility Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under firm reference number 566973. Vast Visibility Ltd is registered in England & Wales No. 05866769 at office: 8 Princes Parade, Liverpool, L3 1DL.