Just three of the great reasons to use Confused.com
"Awesome! Super easy and I got the best deal!"David – Confused.com customer
We compare over 50 trusted van insurers to save you money.
For young drivers, van insurance can be expensive. Much like car insurance, van insurance premiums for younger drivers tend to be higher than those of older, more experienced drivers – in some cases, at least double.
This is because, statistically speaking, younger drivers are at a greater risk of having an accident. This means they’re more likely to make an expensive claim, resulting in a more expensive insurance premium.
Young drivers could lower their van insurance costs by driving a smaller van, or reducing their mileage. A telematics black box policy is another way to keep your costs down.
- Age is a major rating factor for insurance premiums
- Insurers often see young drivers as high-risk customers
- Younger road users are generally charged higher insurance premiums
Luckily, Confused.com are here to help you find competitive insurance quotes for young van drivers. In just a few minutes, you can compare quotes from our panel of trusted insurers and find the right policy, at the right price
Very easy to use quick service and cheap prices
- The van you’re driving – including its age, engine size, payload capacity and value
- Information about you – Including your age, where you live, driving experience, and your convictions, no claims bonus and claims history
- The type of cover you’re looking for – different levels of cover are available, which generally increase in price with the level of protection offered
This is where many of the problems start for young van drivers. Statistically, young drivers are more likely to be involved in an accident than any other age demographic. The road safety charity Brake as compiled some hard facts about young drivers which include;
- 1 in 5 new drivers has a crash within six months of getting their licence
- An 18 year old driver is more than 3 times as likely to be involved in a crash as a 48 year old
Figures like these make young drivers a bigger risk to insurers than other age groups, which can lead to increased premiums. Young drivers in the UK are generally pushed toward small hatchbacks with small engines, in order to reduce their premiums a little, but if you’re a young van driver, your options are a lot more limited.
- Voluntary excess
Just like car insurance, insurance for your van can come in 3 main levels; third party, third party fire & theft, and fully comprehensive. They generally go up in cost with the level of cover they provide, but again remember, your decision here could have a big impact on the assistance you get after a collision, theft or accidental damage.
- Extra security steps
Many insurers can offer discounts on your premium if you take additional steps to keep your van secure. This may include locking the van in a garage overnight, or installing an additional alarm.
- Your vehicle
Most insurers will offer higher insurance premiums for larger and more powerful vans, so if you can, start with something small, and upgrade as your insurance premium falls with your age.