Skip navigation

Insurance for flood risk homes

Flood damage can be expensive to repair, cover your home today!

A selection of our trusted insurance brands

See all brands that we compare

What is flood insurance?

It's a policy that covers damage to your home and possessions caused by a deluge which could include the costs of:

    • Drying out, repairing and restoring your property
    • Repair or replacement of damaged belongings and furniture
    • Alternative accommodation while your home is uninhabitable
    • Professional fees such as solicitors and surveyors

Tip: If you've been affected by storm or water damage it's useful to keep photographs of any damage and a record of conversations between your insurer, consultant and contractors for reference.

If you're concerned about claiming on your insurance policy, take a look at our guide to making a claim.

Why do I need to be covered?

Flooding is often unpredictable and becoming increasingly common in the UK. It could cause thousands of pounds worth of damage to your possessions, structure and the interior of your home.

Flood risk data

    • The number of properties at risk of flooding is expected to rise to around 1.5 million in the next 35 years
    • The ABI estimates that more than 8,000 properties were affected by floods which caused £400 million worth of damage in 2012
    • 500,000 people face a significant flood risk and this could rise to 840,000 by 2035
    • Claims have risen 200% in the last 10 years and cost £20,000 - £30,000 on average
    • For more information about the rising risk of flooding in the UK, take a look at our infographic
    By getting the right level of cover for your home, you could find the financial security to protect you from this increasing risk.

    If you live in a high risk flood area, you could find that your premium might increase due to the added risk of damage.

      Get a quote button

grey avatar silhouette of person Very easy to use, thank you. Saved me a couple of hundred quid on my renewal quote.

David Burke Jul 2014

grey avatar silhouette of person Very straightforward process and great price.

Andrea Blake Jul 2014

grey avatar silhouette of person Thanks. The site was easy to use, response quick, and info what I was looking for. Great help for making a decision that saved me money compared to the policy that was up for renewal.

John Schreuder Jul 2014

grey avatar silhouette of person Found the website very easy to use and all the quotes were so easy to understand even for me! I will continue to use it for other things. Thanks.

Margaret McHendry Jul 2014

grey avatar silhouette of person Appropriate amount of information.

Laura Brindle Jul 2014

grey avatar silhouette of person All the best quotes on an easy to use setup.

Keith Bethwaite Jul 2014

grey avatar silhouette of person Very good and quick to come through. Will buy from you again.

Roy Glover Jul 2014

Looking for a different kind of policy?

Buildings insurance

House icon

Protect your bricks and mortar from fire, flood and subsidence.

Contents insurance

Contents Insurance

A UK home is burgled every 45 seconds. Cover your contents so you're not left out of pocket...

Landlord insurance

Landlord insurance

Landlords risk rent loss, repair costs and legal claims. Get the right cover for you...

See all of our policy types

Protect your home from flooding

  • Be prepared, make sure your home and contents are covered by insurance
  • Check the flood risk map from the Environment Agency to see if you could be affected
  • Check for warnings and sign up for alerts with the Environment Agency tool:


Looking for more information? Our guide to protecting your home from flood damage could help you prepare and minimise the risk of your home getting flooded.

What to do before the flood?

  • Stock up on sandbags as these are a useful first line of defense.
  • Prepare a kit of essential items like a torch, a first aid kit and your insurance documents.
  • Fit non-return drainage valves to your drainpipes to stop water flowing back into the house.

What to do when the flood hits?

  • Turn off your gas, water and electricity from the mains.
  • Move as many of your valuables as you can upstairs.
  • Listen out for any warnings and evacuate if authorities tell you.

Make your property more resistant and resilient by taking these measures.

The Statement of Principles agreement

The Statement of Principles agreement between insurers and the Government ensures that damage is covered by most home insurance policies. This will be replaced by the Flood Re scheme in summer 2015, but until then all ABI members will voluntarily commit to the Statement of Principles agreement until this time.

Compare cheap home insurance quotes

Home Insurance

Rising risk of floods

Check out our infographic to find out more.

Rising flood risk infographic

Got a home insurance question?

See all related questions
Home Insurance FAQ