Skip navigation

Buy to let insurance

Protect your investment; cover the risks that standard policies don't

  • Protect your property's structure and your furnishings
  • portfolio of properties could be protected under one policy
  • Buy-to-let policies are not eligible for entry into the £Million Mega Draw - see our T&Cs
  • Get the right cover, your insurer may not pay out on claims without specialist buy to let insurance

Looking for another kind of home insurance?

Landlord insurance

Landlord insurance

Landlords risk rent loss, repair costs and legal claims. Get the right cover for you...

Contents insurance

Contents Insurance

A UK home is burgled every 45 seconds. Cover your contents so you're not left out of pocket...

Buildings insurance

House icon

Protect your bricks and mortar from fire, flood and subsidence.

See all our specialist home insurance

A selection of our trusted buy to let insurance providers

See all of our home insurance providers

What is buy to let insurance?

  • Also known as landlord insurance, it typically includes buildings insurance to protect your bricks and mortar and contents cover if you're renting out a furnished property
  • Policies could also include cover for compensation claims, home emergencies, loss of rent, accidental damage and legal expenses
  • You can normally insure a portfolio of properties under a single policy

Why compare buy to let insurance with

Buy to let insurance isn't a legal requirement but standard buildings and contents policies may not provide sufficient coverage so your insurer could refuse to pay out if you don't have it.

Policies tend to cover the most common risks associated with renting out a property but they do differ in their coverage so it's important to check the small print.

Buy to let insurance policies are normally available with optional extras that could:

  • Cover the cost of repairs for emergencies like burst pipes, gas leaks and pest infestations
  • Provide legal protection for any disputes that may arise with your tenants like the recovery of outstanding rent
  • Compensate you for loss of rent so you can still meet your mortgage repayments if an accident renders your property non-rentable

Peter Boyle First place I look, used them for years, and saved a lot of money...

Peter Boyle May 2013

Michael Irving Very happy with my insurance quote, best on the net, no hassle, very easy thanks.

Michael Irving May 2013

Lydia Kohlman The whole price comparison process was very easy on It gave a comparison of suitable insurance companies in minutes allowing me to see what the policies included for the quoted price. It most definately saved me money and time.

Lydia Kohlman May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person Saved money by switching to another insurer from several listed providing the levels of cover I needed at a price cheaper than my existing company. Website not the easiest to navigate - other comparison websites seem to be simpler to use.

Brian Davies May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person I saved £70 by using The insurance company I was with was £70 dearer than the company I have now. Once again has saved me money.

Chris White May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person First rate service.

Colin Davis May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person Good service, easy layout, clear english.

Din Tahariq May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person Having used your site to review my House insurance I save +£400, I was very pleased and will use your site again when our car insurance comes up later in the year.

George Crowe May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person Very good service, easy to use website. I save money every time I use

Gurdip Kang May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person Readily available comparable quotes, resulting in a substantial reduction in my annual premiums.

John Bowers May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person Best company we have dealt with. Good reliable insurance and price.

John Lister May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person Well done, you managed to shave off £130 on renewal. Thank you!

Julie Chatfield May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person The website was easy and efficient to use. We had no problems with it and were pleased with the service. Thank you :-)

Kate Redrup May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person The process was straightforward to understand and enabled an easy comparison to be made between the various insurers to select the appropriate one for my needs and giving the best value for money.

Melvyn Fellows May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person Obtained the cheapest quote by far - after trying other comparison sites no other came close on price...always my first port of call for insurance for this very reason. Keep it up guys.

Paul Foyston May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person Very straightforward and easy to use. The prices quoted were cheaper than the previous year. What more could you ask for?

Ranjit Badhan May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person Very easy to negotiate your site and I also saved money.

Raymond Jevins May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person Easy to use and got a good quote.

Robert McWilliam May 2013

grey avatar silhouette of person Quick and easy to use, and all the information needed.

Sharon Fryer May 2013

Why get buy to let insurance?

With buy to let insurance you could protect yourself against many of the risks associated with renting out your property.

A study by Northwood UK estimated that:

  • Tenant arrears, empty properties and household maintenance costs private rental landlords £2.1 billion a year
  • The average private rental landlord forks out more than £1,500 a year in unforeseen costs
  • Unexpected costs lead to landlords earning 84% less than they'd budgeted for

As a landlord it's important to know your duties towards your tenants. Carrying out heating repairs and gas and safety checks, for example, are jobs that you're responsible for.

If you need more information about buy to let insurance our guide should help. Landlord Insurance is provided by YOUR Insurance of 2nd Floor, Norfolk House, 187 High Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 3AW. YOUR Insurance is a trading name of Towergate Underwriting Group Limited, authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (No. 313250).