"Easy to use, got car insurance for about £200 cheaper! Thanks Confused.com!"Michael, 11th February 2019
We compare 119 car insurance providers to save you money.
The good thing about being a more experienced driver is that your years of careful driving could benefit you with a cheap car insurance quote. Whether you fall in the bracket of the over 50s, over 60s, over 70s or older, car insurance providers could reward you if you have a good driving history.
If you've celebrated your 50th birthday, then you could benefit from getting a quote with a specialist over 50s car insurance provider. Both Saga and Rias specialise in this age group. And with a potential accumulation of no-claims bonus under your belt, you may be able to reap the rewards of cheaper car insurance.
Specialists may also automatically include benefits that more mainstream providers charge as optional extras. This convenience could save you a lot of time and hassle, and may actually save you money too.
During these golden years of driving, being completely transparent with your provider and the DVLA is as important as ever. For example, by law, you must declare to the DVLA certain medical conditions or disabilities that may affect your driving.
There are many factors that insurers use when it comes to calculating the price you pay for insurance, and age is just one of them.
If you feel you might need more help getting a cheaper quote, take a look at our guide to saving money on car insurance.
Our quarterly price index looks at car insurance prices up and down the country. According to our most recent update, the average cost of an annual comprehensive insurance policy for those aged 50+ is now £534.
That may sound a lot, but compared to the national average of £789, that’s a saving of £255! Depending on your own circumstances and driving history, you could save yourself even more money.
To get a better idea of how insurance prices for your region, age or gender have changed, take a look at our price index calculator.
If you're in your 50s, 60s, 70s or 80s, finding a good deal on car insurance shouldn't be a hassle. With the right information at hand, getting a great quote should be a matter of minutes away:
- Driving licence and history - You need information such as how long you've held your licence, the type of licence, and any driver convictions or disqualifications you've collected in the past five years.
- Details of your car - Knowing the number plate will help us to find the information we need about your car. You should also make a note of any modifications made to the car.
- No-claims bonus - If you've built up any no-claims bonus, you could be entitled to a discount on the price of your insurance. While typically the maximum number of years insurers take into consideration is five, some insurers do offer discount on up to eight years.
- Additional drivers - If you'd like to add an additional driver, also have their details ready.
Once you’ve answered all the questions, we’ll send your details to our list of 119 providers and return you quotes from those able to offer you insurance.
Below you’ll see a typical example of what you can see on the quote results page along with a brief description of what each section means. The options available/shown to you will vary based on a variety of factors including the options you select during the quote process and your own driving history.
- Change the policy from comprehensive to third party or fire and theft and third party only.
- Change the amount of voluntary excess you’d like to contribute to any claim you make.
- Change whether you’d like to pay the policy monthly or annually.
- Click apply to get new prices based on changes to the policy type, voluntary excess and payment type.
- Find out more about the policy, the provider and click to visit or phone the provider.
- The provider’s Defaqto rating is shown here.
- Explore more about the level of optional windscreen cover such as whether it includes things like sunroofs and side windows.
- The cost and types of optional breakdown cover available are shown here.
- Here we’ll show whether or not a courtesy car is included as part of the policy.
- The cost of adding legal cover to the policy is shown here.
- Details of the voluntary and compulsory excess are shown here.
- See a breakdown of the annual premium and monthly costs where available.
- If we’re running a special offer with the insurer such as a price cut or cashback deal, you’ll find details of it here.
If you'll be turning 70 in the next 90 days, or if you're 70 or over, by law you must renew your driving licence - and then again every three years.There’s no need to take a test, but your licence must be kept up to date with any medical conditions that may affect your ability to drive safely. These include:
- Parkinson’s disease
- heart conditions
- some eye conditions
It's free to renew your licence. You can find everything you need to know about renewing your licence at 70 here on the GOV.UK website, or by picking up a form from your local post office.
Whether you’re in your 50s, 60s, 70s or 80s, we make looking for car insurance quotes for over 50s as easy as we can. With us, you can compare car insurance quotes from a number of recognisable, trusted UK brands that have bags of experience.
Benefits of using Confused.com:
- It's free to compare quotes.
- It's quicker than getting quotes individually.
- We're totally impartial.
- You can search big brand names.
- We were the first UK insurance price-comparison site.
- Used our website before? Use QuickQuote by simply entering your email address and car registration to get a quote instantly.