Driving while under the influence of alcohol is a serious, illegal offence. If you’ve been convicted of drink-driving and you’ve come to the end of your driving ban, you may be thinking about getting back on the road, but there are a few things to consider before you start looking for car insurance:
- Some insurers may refuse to insure convicted drink-drivers
- Those insurance companies who do give you a quote may offer prices considerably more expensive than before as you’re now considered a higher risk
- Drink driving offences must stay on your driving record for 11 years from the date of the conviction
Your conviction isn’t the only factor insurers will consider when calculating your quote. Your age, location, type of car and driving history are all considered.
Some car insurance companies may not cover convicted drink-drivers, but we'll help you quickly find insurers who may cover you. As long as your details are correct and you fully disclose any points and convictions, the quotes you see are from those insurers able to offer you cover.
We have a guide on what you need to know about drink driving if you need more information before getting a quote.
If you own a car which sits in a higher insurance group, you might want to think about getting a car that sits in a lower group, as it may help reduce your policy price.
Drink-driving convictions aside, if you believe you're a safe driver, have a look at a black box policy. Black box insurance policies, also known as telematics offer a personalised price based on how and when you drive. Some insurers install a box in your car, while others offer a plug-in device or mobile app. The device uses GPS technology to measure how well you drive. Based on this, insurers can provide feedback to help you improve.
Take a look at our guide on how to save money on your car insurance for more helpful tips.
The following information will make it easier to get an accurate quote: Personal details:
- Your job and industry
- Any points on your licence as well as the conviction code
- Previous claims or accidents from the last 5 years
- Additional drivers you want to insure
- Your driving licence number as some insurers offer better prices if they know this
- Registration number is useful but not essential
- Any modifications to your car
- Estimated annual mileage
If you’ve used us before, you can get a quote quicker by logging in and reviewing your details. Just make sure all your details are up-to-date, and any new convictions are included. Failing to fully disclose any points or convictions could invalidate your policy and cause issues should you need to make claim.
Even if you're a convicted drink-driver you can still compare a wide range of insurance providers. Simply add in your details, information about your car, your driving history and conviction and we will do the hard work for you.
- We’re the longest-running insurance comparison site, so have a wealth of experience in helping you find the right policy at the right price
- We compare a range of UK insurance providers to bring you our best price
- When you buy, choose a free gift with Confused.com rewards