Moving house: energy bill checklist

There’s so much to do when moving home, it’s easy to overlook some of the smaller details like sorting out your energy bills.

Moving home and switching energy

But when you’ve got a new house to pay for, the last thing you need is massive gas and electricity bills appearing at the same time your first rent cheque or mortgage repayment goes out.

And unlike sorting out your mortgage, switching energy supplier only takes a few minutes.

If you're moving to a larger house, you could be shocked by the change in your energy bills. So here’s how to make sure you’re on the cheapest energy deal before the first bill arrives.

Get personalised electricity deals straight to your inbox

Get switch ready


What to do before you move house

1. Notify your current energy supplier

  • Call your existing energy supplier at least 48 hours before you move out to let them know the date of your move, as well as the address you are moving to, so they can send your final bill.
  • Your energy supplier will arrange a meter reading for you, or more likely ask you to take one on the day of your move. You can find your supplier's contact details on your bill or online.

2. Check your energy account

  • Are you in credit or do you owe money to your supplier? By checking now, you know what to expect and can budget for it. With all the costs of moving it can be easy to miss a substantial bill that might be coming your way.

3. Take a meter reading on the day that you move out

  • Even if you have a smart meter, take meter readings from your gas and electricity meters and make a note of them. If you can, take a photo on your phone.
  • Leave a copy of the meter readings for the next owners, tenants or your landlord, along with details of the energy supplier(s) you use.
  • Submit the meter readings to your energy supplier either online, through your app or over the phone, so everyone has a record.

Top Tip : you can get an energy quote and compare prices before you move in. You can even get your change of energy supplier started, so you’ll be ready to switch to cheaper gas and electricity from day one.


What to do when you move into your new home

1. Take gas and electricity readings on moving day

  • Take fresh gas and electricity meter readings when you move into your new home as soon as possible. Hopefully the previous occupants will have left readings, but always take your own to avoid issues later.
  • This will ensure that you only pay for the gas and electricity you use, and not energy used by the previous occupants.
  • Check the heating and hot water timers and the thermostat. The previous inhabitants may have preferred a more tropical feel than you’re used to!

2. Find out who your new energy supplier is

Again, hopefully this information has been supplied but if it hasn’t there are some easy ways to find out.

    Find your gas supplier

  • If you’re not sure who supplies the gas for your new home, then visit the Find My Supplier website or call the meter number helpline on 0870 608 1524 (Please note that calls to this number cost 7p per minute plus your phone company's access charge).
  • Find your electricity supplier

  • For electricity, you should contact your local distribution company. You can use the Energy Networks Association postcode search tool, or find the phone number in the telephone directory under ‘Electricity’.
  • When you speak to them, you should ask for MPAS, which is the company's Meter Point Administration Service.

3. Give your energy supplier the meter readings

  • Contact your new energy supplier to set up your account and give them your meter readings and confirm the date you moved into the property.
  • Hopefully the previous residents will have contacted them and you may even have a letter from the energy company telling you what to do.
  • If there is a prepayment meter at your new home, you will need to arrange for a new top up key or card to be sent to you. You can find out more about prepayment meters in our guide on how to pay your energy bill.

4. Compare energy prices and switch ASAP!

  • Your new energy supplier will place you on their ‘standard variable tariff’. This is usually their most expensive tariff.
  • If you have upsized your home, your first month’s bill for a bigger home on the most expensive tariff could be quite a shock, especially coming hot on the heels of your final bill from the old property.
  • The quicker you compare energy prices and switch, the smaller this bill will be.

For more help with moving home, why not read our essential moving home checklist, or for help switching energy try our energy supplier switching guide.