1. Home
  2. Horsebox insurance

Horsebox insurance

Compare quotes with our partner ‘It’s horsebox insurance’

its horsebox insurance logo

Do I need a specialist licence to drive a horsebox?

You'll need a specific category requirement on your driver's licence, depending on the weight of your horsebox.

For example, if your horsebox weighs 3.5-tonnes, you'll need a Category C1 licence. This covers you to drive vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5-tonnes on public roads.

You can find out more about the different licence categories on the Gov.uk website.

What types of horsebox insurance are available?

Similar to car insurance, there are two main types of horsebox insurance. These are fully comprehensive and third party, fire and theft.

You'll also find options to choose whether you use your horsebox for social, domestic & pleasure or for a business purpose.

Compare quotes with ‘It’s horsebox insurance’

How can I get cheaper horsebox insurance?

If you reduce the mileage used on your horsebox, certain insurers may offer lower insurance costs. This is as long as you don't exceed the agreed limited mileage during your policy.

As with any information you provide, it's important to make sure your estimated annual mileage is as accurate as possible. Providing the wrong information could lead to your policy being invalid if you ever need to make a claim.

Reducing the number of drivers on your horsebox insurance policy may also result in lower prices because you're minimising potential risks.

By minimising the number of named drivers, some insurance companies can offer discounts, lowering your insurance costs.

Should I compare horsebox insurance quotes?

Yes, it's always worth comparing insurance quotes, so you can find the best deal for your needs.

Just fill out one form and ’It's horsebox insurance’ will show you a full range of policies for both horseboxes and horse trailers.

This saves you time and effort and displays the most suitable and cost-effective policies in one place.

Compare quotes with ‘It’s horsebox insurance’

Need more help?

Does horsebox insurance include cover abroad?

Some policies may include cover abroad as standard. But it's worth checking the policy documents if it's something you're looking for specifically. Otherwise, you can add cover abroad onto the standard horsebox insurance policy.

Are there horsebox weight or height restrictions?

Most of the insurers ‘It's horsebox insurance’ compare are happy to provide a quote regardless of the weight or height of your horsebox. But, this may be subject to underwriting criteria.

Does horsebox insurance include windscreen cover?

All comprehensive horsebox policies include windscreen protection. This covers the repair or replacement costs of a broken windscreen. But you may need to pay the excess
– this information will be outlined in your policy documents.

Is driving other vehicles included with horsebox insurance?

Unfortunately, as horsebox is a specialist type of insurance, driving other vehicles is excluded from all 'it's horsebox insurance' policies.

Do horsebox insurance policies include cover for the horse when in transit?

Cover for the horse when in transit is excluded from all horsebox insurance policies. You can seek additional insurance to cover your horse elsewhere.

Am I covered at horse shows and events?

If you're using the horsebox for its correct use, like for ‘social, domestic and pleasure’, then the horsebox may be covered as normal. But this depends on the underwriting criteria, so please contact ‘It’s horsebox insurance’ if you're unsure. Alternatively, check your insurance documents.

My horsebox is of high value - can I still be insured?

Some insurers specialise in horsebox cover and could offer excellent prices for a large range of horseboxes. There are optional extras available to ensure that your vehicle is insured with a level of cover that meets your needs. If you're not entirely sure whether you need extras, it's best to chat to the insurer beforehand.
Confused Horsebox Insurance is administered by it's Horsebox Insurance Services. it's Horsebox Insurance Services is a trading name of Grove & Dean Ltd, an independent intermediary who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under firm reference number 307002. Our service is free and compares quotes from specialist Horsebox insurance brands provided by Grove & Dean Ltd.. Confused.com is an intermediary and receives commission from Grove & Dean Ltd. if you decide to buy through our website.