Skip navigation

Second home insurance

Get first rate cover for your second home!

  • Secure your second home against theft and damage
  • Protect your property, whether you're there or not
  • Looking for holiday home cover? You might need a different type of insurance policy

A selection of our trusted home insurers...

See all of our trusted home insurers

What is second home insurance?

  • It's a policy designed to cover your home if it's left empty for more than 30 days at a time
  • Policies consist of buildings and contents cover and you can get both parts or either one
  • Buildings cover could secure your home's structure from events like storm damage and fire
  • Contents cover could insure your possessions against problems like theft, loss and damage

Why do I need second home insurance?

  • Standard policies may not cover you if your property is vacant for more than a 30 day spell
  • Leaving your home unoccupied for a long time could increase the risk of theft
  • Storm damage to your home could worsen as you're unable to regularly fix any problems

Buying a second home is a big investment but you can't always be there to keep an eye on it. Get cover and you could secure your investment against risks, so your finances aren't hit if you suffer a loss.

grey avatar silhouette of person Very easy to use, thank you. Saved me a couple of hundred quid on my renewal quote.

David Burke Jul 2014

grey avatar silhouette of person Very straightforward process and great price.

Andrea Blake Jul 2014

grey avatar silhouette of person Thanks. The site was easy to use, response quick, and info what I was looking for. Great help for making a decision that saved me money compared to the policy that was up for renewal.

John Schreuder Jul 2014

grey avatar silhouette of person Found the website very easy to use and all the quotes were so easy to understand even for me! I will continue to use it for other things. Thanks.

Margaret McHendry Jul 2014

grey avatar silhouette of person Appropriate amount of information.

Laura Brindle Jul 2014

grey avatar silhouette of person All the best quotes on an easy to use setup.

Keith Bethwaite Jul 2014

grey avatar silhouette of person Very good and quick to come through. Will buy from you again.

Roy Glover Jul 2014

Looking for a different kind of home insurance? Try one of these...

Buildings insurance

House icon

Protect your bricks and mortar from fire, flood and subsidence.

Contents insurance

Contents Insurance

A UK home is burgled every 45 seconds. Cover your contents so you're not left out of pocket...

Holiday home insurance

Holiday home insurance

Having a holiday home is reason to cheer but don't let your celebrations turn sour...

See all of our home insurance policy types

Why compare second home insurance quotes with

According to the 2011 Census:

  • Over 2.3m people in England and Wales have a second home
  • More than 1.5m of these are UK based

As a second home owner, you'll know that you can't always be there to protect your property, but just because it's a second home, doesn't mean it should be second best when it comes to insurance.

At, we like to use our insurance expertise to help and inform you with our research, guides and articles, which we hope you find useful.

Are you sharing too much information on social media when you visit your second home? Our video guide highlights the dangers.

If you're in the market for a second home, you could buy one with as little as a 5% deposit, but try not to make any rookie mistakes.