1. Home
  2. Van insurance
  3. Van insurance guides

Any driver van insurance

Any driver van insurance allows multiple people to use the same vehicle on an ad hoc basis. It’s handy if you’re just starting out in business and if you need more than 4 different people to be insured to drive the van.

Less than this number of drivers and you may be better off just adding named drivers on a standard policy. Let's take a look at how it works.

Person with a high vis vest sat in a van


What is any driver van insurance?

Any driver van insurance may sound like a free for all, but it’s not. This type of policy’s usually aimed at businesses that employ several people, who may need use of the same van.

It can also be used by companies that employ people on a rota. It could prove cheaper to have them drive 1 or 2 vans between them, rather than each shift worker having their own dedicated van.

Compare cheap van insurance quotes

Get a quote


Do I need any drive van insurance?

Any driver van insurance isn’t any different to standard van insurance cover. If you’re just taking the first tentative steps into a small business, where you may employ a few people, this type of insurance could fit the bill.

You can get the usual 3 levels of cover, typically for drivers aged at least 21 or 25 years old. These are:

  • Third party only: the minimum legal level of cover, which provides cover for damage caused to another person’s vehicle or property
  • Third party, fire and theft: as above, but with additional cover for damage or loss due to fire or theft
  • Comprehensive: this level of cover also ensures you and your vehicle are protected from a wide range of potential claims, such as someone colliding with your van

Types of any driver van insurance

Although any driver van insurance is a catch-all term, insurers tend to group potential policyholders in one of the following 3 categories:

In all cases, you might need more than 1 person to be covered by the van insurance policy. When you're exploring your options, any driver van insurance is a bolt-on extra to a standard van insurance policy.

This is worth bearing in mind if you're starting a business. At some stage in the next 12 months you might need more staff who need to drive as part of their work.


Vans and driving licences

Don’t assume that your driving licence covers you to drive any van. A standard licence allows you to drive a van weighing up to 7.5 tonnes, if you passed your test before 1997. But you can only drive one weighing up to 3.5 tonnes if you passed your driving test after 1997.

If you’re in any doubt about what you can legally drive, check your own and each employee’s driving licence. This sets out what you’re entitled to drive. Should you or your staff need to drive a larger van you need to arrange for a separate driving test to cover this requirement.


What factors affect the cost of any driver van insurance?

The age and experience of your drivers are taken into account when prices are set. You need each driver to declare any driving convictions and present their licence for checking. If you want to double check any of your driver’s details you can do so via the government’s driving licence service.

Likewise, the types of work you do might affect costs. Work vans are targeted by thieves as they tend to contain expensive tools and machinery, so they tend to have higher cover costs.

The chances are that the driver carries personal belongings, such as a phone, laptop and other valuables.

You probably need a bespoke type of motor insurance if you’re carrying high value or large items, such as if you tow or transport vehicles or heavy machinery.

Also, you should consider whether you need to beef up your security, by adding an immobiliser or higher-grade locking system. This comes at a cost, but might also have a positive effect on your insurance costs.

Most policies cover vehicles weighing up to 3.5 tonnes. If you have a specific vehicle that weighs more, or carries weights of more than this, such as loaders for skips, you might need to speak to a specialist insurance broker. You can expect the cost of cover to be higher given the potential of a higher value claim should your vehicle be involved in a collision.


Added extras

If your van plays an important role in your business you might want to consider topping up your insurance to get even greater protection. There are several potential options you could consider as a bolt-on to your current cover, or as a standalone product.

The main added extras that might be of interest if you’re van is integral to your business are:

Breakdown cover: this option can be bought as a standalone policy or added to your standard van insurance. It ensures you’re to if your van breaks down on the road.

Courtesy van cover: this extra is designed to minimise the inevitable disruption that would be caused after an accident. In its place, you get a replacement van until yours is out of the garage.

Windscreen cover: always check your van insurance policy because sometimes windscreen cover isn’t included as standard. Given the number of miles your van will probably travel each year, this is a useful policy feature to have – even if you need to pay extra for it.

Legal expenses cover: this insurance is intended to cover any expenses that would arise if you needed to defend a legal case. It's also useful if you seek damages from a third party in relation to a dispute concerning your van or its contents.

Personal belongings insurance: as the name implies, this cover protects you from losses incurred if your personal belongings are lost, damaged or stolen while in the van.

Tool insurance: this option could be useful if you regularly keep tools in the van.

There are of course other types of add on insurances which may suit specific requirements. It’s always worth considering these extras if you want to be well protected.


Can I get temporary van insurance for any driver?

Any driver van cover gives you a useful, flexible option that could help take your business to the next level. But you need to weigh up whether it’s cost effective. If you only need one driver for most of the time, it could work out cheaper to buy temporary van insurance as and when you need it.

Temporary van insurance provides cover for other drivers for from 1 hour to 28 days - long or short enough to suit most limited contracts. It could also allow you to test the waters before committing to an annual policy. Looking for temporary insurance but for business use? Our temporary business van insurance page could help.