Motorbike tax explained C icon
Our expert panel review all content. Learn more about our editorial standards and how we operate.

You need to pay motorbike tax - also called vehicle excise duty (VED) -  if you want to use your motorbike on the road. 

Electric and classic motorbike owners have to tax their bikes but it’s currently free to do this. 

You can tax your bike on GOV.UK, by phoning the DVLA or visiting your local Post Office.

A person calculates their tax bill

You can tax your motorbike at GOV.UK. You need either:

  • Your recent reminder (V11)
  • Your last chance warning letter from the DVLA

You also need your logbook (V5C), which must be in your name. If you’ve just bought the motorcycle you’ll need the green ‘new keeper’ slip.

You can make the payment by debit card, credit card, or by direct debit. You might be able to pay in instalments but this costs more overall.

If you haven't had a V11 reminder letter, there’s a chance that you may need to change your address as it could be incorrect.

Are there other ways to tax my bike?

You can tax your bike over the phone by contacting the DVLA Vehicle Tax Service on 0300 123 4321

You can tax your bike at your local Post Office too. Along with the V5C logbook and V11 reminder, you need to bring a valid MOT certificate.

You can pay by:

  • Direct debit
  • Cheque
  • Debit or credit card
  • Cash
  • Postal order

If you’ve any other queries about motorbike tax, you can contact the DVLA by:

  • Phone: Call 0300 790 6801 - this is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm. It’s also open on Saturdays from 8am to 4pm.
  • Email through the contact form on the DVLA website
  • DVLA Webchat
  • Post at Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR

I need to tax my bike but I can’t find my logbook. What should I do? 

If you can’t find your log book – it’s gone missing, been destroyed or has been stolen – you need to get a duplicate before you can tax your bike. If nothing needs to be changed, you can order a replacement log book online.

The cost of bike tax depends on the size of your motorbike’s engine, rather than the amount of CO2 produced. Usually that means it’s cheaper than VED for a car. 

Engine size Single 12-month payment Total of 12 monthly instalments Single 6-month payment 6 months by direct debit
Under 150cc
Over 600cc

These costs are the same for:

  • Motorbikes
  • Scooters and mopeds
  • Quad bikes
  • Any motorbike with a sidecar. 

How much is tricycle tax?

Tricycles under 150cc pay £24 or £25.20 - the same as other motorbikes under 150 cc. For all other tricycles you pay £111, or £116.55 if you pay in 12 monthly instalments. 

How much is electric motorbike tax?

You pay £0 for electric motorbike tax - this will be the case until 2025. You still need to tax your electric motorbike, even though you aren't paying anything.

You check the GOV.UK website to see if your bike is taxed.

You need to enter the vehicle’s number plate and you should then see your motorbike’s make and model. 

Once you’ve confirmed, it’ll show you whether your motorbike has valid tax.

You can also see when your annual MOT is due.

You can apply for historic vehicle tax exemption if your motorbike was made 40 years ago.

You still need to go through the tax process – even if you don’t have to pay.

It's not eligible for a tax exemption if it’s used for:

  • Hire and reward
  • Commercial purposes
  • As part of a trade or business.

If you’re in any doubt then contact the DVLA.

Other motorbike tax exemptions

You may qualify for exemption from bike tax if you have a disability. 

For example, if you are in receipt of any of the following:

  • Higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Enhanced rate mobility component of Adult Disability Payment (ADP)
  • War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

Certain conditions also apply. Such as:

  • The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name
  • It must must only be used for the disabled person’s needs. 

Only one vehicle tax exemption can apply at any one time.

Yes, you do. It’s illegal to ride on the road without having the necessary tax in place – unless you have a disability or the motorbike is exempt. 

You don't get points on your licence for riding your untaxed bike but you could get a fine. This is usually sent to the registered keeper's address.

Compare motorbike insurance quotes

Share this article

Motorbike guides