1. Home
  2. Travel insurance
  3. Long stay travel insurance

Long stay travel insurance

Compare long term travel insurance quotes

  • Get cover for up to 18 months

  • Helps protect you from unexpected costs while travelling

  • Get a quote in only 2 minutes

Covid-19 - Important information 4th October 2021

On 4th October, the travel traffic light system has been replaced by a simplified set of rules for international travel. These rules tell you what you must do when returning to England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland from a red list country.

Before buying travel insurance, you should think about what could happen if your destination moves to the red list. You may face extra costs and face travel restrictions that won't be covered by your travel insurance policy.

It's important to check both your destination's entry requirements and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) advice for travelling there.

If you travel against the FCDO advice, you won't be covered by any travel insurance policy you buy.

A few insurers do offer cover if you're an essential traveler, but if you have any questions, you should check the policy wording or contact your chosen provider before you buy.

What is long stay travel insurance?

Long stay travel insurance is a policy designed to cover you on longer term trips and holidays.  It’s also known as ‘backpackers insurance’ and can be for any length of time up to 18 months.

Since there’s usually an increased risk of falling ill or damaging something when you’re away for a longer time, a long stay policy could help you avoid any holiday mishaps or expected costs.

It’s different from an annual travel insurance policy which covers you for several trips over the course of 12 months, but usually only for a maximum of 31 days at any one time.

What does long stay travel insurance cover?

Much like a regular travel insurance policy, a long stay policy will cover you for the usual things including lost or stolen luggage, as well as emergency medical treatment and costs.

  • Medical treatment and hospital costs for if you’re injured or fall ill abroad
  • Emergency transport and your journey home if you get hurt during your travels and need to return
  • Cancellations cover for if your flight or accommodation are cancelled due to things out of your control. Make sure this cover is the same as the total cost of your trip.
  • Your travel documents, cash and personal belongings could be covered if you accidentally lose them

For items like your mobile phone or tablet, it’s worth double checking your travel or home insurance policies to see if they’re covered If not, a gadget insurance policy can protect your things long-term.

To find out more about cover and how to claim if something goes wrong, see our guide on how claiming on your travel insurance works.

What affects the price of long stay travel insurance?

A long stay policy will usually cost a little bit more than a normal travel insurance policy, as there are more risks associated with being away for longer periods of time. 

There are several things that can affect a price of a policy, including:

  • Your age
  • Whether you’ve got any pre-existing medical conditions
  • Any activities you plan on doing

How do I get a quote?

Getting a long stay quote is easy and only takes a couple of minutes. All you need to do is:

  • Fill in your details, including where you’re travelling to
  • Select the start date for your trip and tell us how many months you’ll be away
  • Declare any pre-existing medical conditions to ensure you’re covered

Compare long stay travel insurance quotes

What isn’t covered by long stay travel insurance?

There are a few things not covered in a standard long stay policy. When getting your quote, you can tailor the policy so you can add any other features you think you’ll need for your trip.

What’s not covered:

  • Pre-existing medical conditions
  • Natural disasters and terrorism
  • Sports cover
  • Travelling against FCDO advice 

Pre-existing medical conditions need to be declared to your insurer before you travel. If you don’t and then need treatment while away, you’ll have to foot the bills. If you need cover for a specific condition like cancer, stroke and heart conditions, a medical travel insurance policy is what you’re after.

Natural disasters and terrorism might not be covered. These include things like earthquakes, hurricanes and acts of terrorism. Check the policy details or contact the insurer if you have any questions.

Sports cover for skiing or water sports or extreme sports cover for things like sky diving, bungee jumping and what rafting, have to be added when getting a quote.

Travelling against FCDO advice on coronavirus means you won’t be covered if you make a claim.

Does long stay travel insurance cover several countries?

Yes, a long stay travel insurance policy will cover you if you’re moving from one country to another.

If you’re looking for a policy to cover several countries, whether that’s for long stay travel or not, select a backpacker travel policy when getting a quote. You’ll be able to select the regions you’re going to so the prices you see are for policies that cover those places.

If you’re going to be travelling to more than one continent, we recommend choosing a worldwide travel policy.

Just tell us where you’re going to be travelling when you’re getting a quote and we can make sure you’ve got the right amount of cover

Can I get a quote with a serious pre-existing medical condition?

If you have a pre-existing medical condition, you can still get a quote through Confused.com. These conditions could include cancer, stroke, serious heart, respiratory and terminal conditions.

Some insurers might not cover you if you already have a serious medical condition, or if you have a number of conditions. Others might only offer insurance at a much higher price. If you’re unable to find suitable cover, the Money and Pension Service (MaPS) has also set up a directory of insurers willing to cover customers with pre-existing medical conditions.

You can contact the Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) or you can telephone 0800 138 7777.

What our travel insurance expert says

A lot of people forget that when you're travelling for an extended period of time, it puts you at greater risk of falling ill or getting injured.

By taking out a long stay policy, you'll protect yourself against any emergency medical costs and potentially save yourself £1000's in medical bills.

Jac Morris signature

Jac Morris

Travel insurance expert

We compare trusted travel insurance companies to find you the best deals

AA car insurance logo
Saga logo
Post Office car insurance logo
Admiral car insurance logo
Confused.com’s Travel Insurance solution is provided by theIdol.com. theidol.com is a trading style of Investment Discounts On-Line Ltd and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Investment Discounts On-Line Ltd, One Coleman Street, London, EC2R 5AA. Registered in England no: 04231834. theidol.com is part of the Legal & General group.

Our service is free and compares a wide range of trusted household names. Confused.com is an intermediary and receives commission from theidol.com if you decide to buy through our website which is based on a percentage of the total annual premium. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don't promote any one insurance provider over another.

Confused.com travel insurance customers rate us 4.56/5 based on 265 Reviews.co.uk respondents - as of 06/10/21). Read our reviews