Trike insurance

Compare cheap trike insurance quotes

  • Get a quote in less than 5 mins

  • We compare up to 37 motorbike insurance providers

What's classed as a trike?

Insurers class any three-wheeled vehicle as a trike, whether it's a delta trike with its two wheels at the back, or a tadpole trike with two wheels at the front.

But there are two main types of trike: and you'll need different insurance for each of them.

  • Car trikes
  • Motorbike trikes

Car trikes usually have the following features:

  • An enclosed body (a roof and sides)
  • A steering wheel
  • A car chassis

Motorbike trikes usually have:

  • An open body
  • Handlebars

What insurance do I need for my trike?

There are two main types of insurance for trikes: motorbike insurance and car insurance.

If your trike is a standard, manufactured model, we can compare insurance quotes and get you covered in just a few minutes. A lot of trikes tend to be non-standard, custom builds. If this is the case, you can still compare prices with us, but you might need to call the insurer you choose and confirm your vehicle details.

How do I compare trike insurance quotes?

You can compare trike insurance quotes with us in just a few minutes. Having these details with you should help speed things up:

You'll need to know:

  • Whether your trike is considered to be a motorbike or a car
  • The make and model of the trike - having the registration makes things easier again
  • The year your trike was manufactured
  • How much your trike is worth
  • A list of any modifications you've made to the trike
  • What motorbike security devices you have
  • Where you keep your trike when not in use

If your trike is a standard or manufactured model, we can usually quickly compare trike insurance quotes and show you our best prices in just a few steps.

If your trike is non-standard or custom built, things can get a little trickier. You can get a quote, then give your chosen insurer a call to confirm if they can cover your vehicle.

What extras can I get with my trike insurance?

You could add a number of optional extras to your trike insurance policy. Depending on your needs, these could come in handy for extra protection, but bear in mind they could also come with added costs.

Typical trike insurance add-ons include:

  • Breakdown cover
  • Legal cover
  • Pillion cover
  • Leathers & helmet cover

Motorbike breakdown cover can be added to your policy with most insurers. It can include breakdown assistance both in the UK and abroad.

Motor legal protection is an add-on that's designed to help pay your legal costs if you incur any following a claim.

Pillion cover covers you to carry a passenger on your trike. Most motorcycle insurance companies don’t cover passengers as standard.

Leathers and helmet cover insures your riding gear. This could help pay for repairs or replacements if they get damaged following a claim.

Compare trike insurance quotes

Can I ride my trike on a car licence?

Yes, you can.

You can ride a trike of any power rating so long as:

  • You have passed motorcycle Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)
  • You’re over 21 years old
  • You have a full UK car driving licence

If you don’t have a full car driving licence, the requirements for riding a trike are a little different:

  • If you’ve had a motorcycle or moped licence since before 19 January 2013, you can ride trikes of any power rating.
  • If you have a provisional car or motorcycle licence, you can only ride a trike if you have a physical disability.
  • If you’re not physically disabled and want to ride a motor tricycle you’ll now need to get the right provisional entitlement and pass CBT.

Driving tests for trikes and other three-wheeled vehicles are only available for physically disabled drivers.

If you don’t yet have a car licence, you’ll need a motorcycle licence at the very least before you can ride a trike.

You’ll need a full category A1 motorbike licence to ride motor tricycles up to power output 15 Kilowatts (kW), and a full category A motorbike licence to ride trikes with a power output more than 15 kW.

For more information, visit the GOV.UK website, or see our guide on how to get a motorbike licence.

What else do I need to ride a trike?

Aside from a valid trike insurance policy, you need to make sure:

  • You’ve got the right licence to ride a trike
  • You have a valid V5C logbook as proof of ownership
  • Your trike is taxed
  • Your trike has a valid MOT

You’re not legally required to wear a helmet when you ride a trike - that only applies to mopeds and motorbikes.

But it’s a sensible idea to wear a helmet whenever you’re on the road for all-around protection.

The same goes for leathers and other protective gear - if you’re exposed to the road, it’s a good idea to wear as much protection as possible.

Can I use my trike in Europe?

Yes, and the good news is you no longer need a green card to drive in the EU and Ireland, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland.

However, according to the GOV.UK. website you may still need to carry a green card to drive in other countries in Europe, including:

  • Albania
  • Azaijan
  • Belarus
  • Moldova
  • Russia
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine

You can get a green card from your insurer for free, but make sure you leave plenty of time to get one before you travel.

You must also always check with your insurer on your level of cover before riding and driving abroad. It’s also recommended that you take out European breakdown insurance, and don’t forget travel insurance if you’re planning a trip on your trike.

Can I really save money comparing trike quotes?

Comparing trike insurance quotes is one of the easiest ways to save money on your trike insurance.

We just need a few details about you and your trike to get started.

We'll then compare a range of insurance providers and show you our best prices in seconds, so you can choose the policy that suits your needs – and budget.

What our motorbike insurance expert says

If your trike is a standard model we can get you a great trike insurance price. If its customised or converted you’ll need to make sure that your insurer really understands what they’re insuring.


Basically, if it’s got handlebars we’ll try to insure it for you, if its enclosed with a steering wheel then it usually needs car insurance. motorbike insurance is administered by Vast Visibility Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under firm reference number 566973. Vast Visibility Ltd is registered in England & Wales No. 05866769 at office: 8 Princes Parade, Liverpool, L3 1DL. Our service is free and compares a wide range of trusted household names. is an intermediary and receives commission from Vast Visibility Ltd which is a percentage of the total commission if you decide to buy through our website. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don't promote any one insurance provider over another.