Looking for other types of travel insurance?
Compare budget-friendly policies at Confused.com
Leave yourself with spending money to spare by comparing gap year insurance
We'll return long stay travel insurance quotes in a few quick clicks
See all the types of specialist travel insurance
What is backpackers travel insurance?
Standard travel insurance policies could limit the number of days you are covered in one trip, or the types of activities you can do. Backpackers insurance, on the hand, could offer you a broader range of cover and greater piece of mind if your adventure is a little more ambitious than a normal holiday.
- Longer trip duration offering up to 18 months' worth of travel compare to the standard annual policies which is usually around 31 days!
- Optional cover for activities such as bungee jumping and scuba diving
- 57% of backpackers policies bought through Confused.com in 2012 were individuals aged 25-29, that's a 10% increase compared to the previous year (Confused.com data)
- Compare backpacker policies from as little as £11.50*
*The cheapest backpacker policy is £11.50 (based on 1 adult aged 28 travelling in Europe for up to 1 month). Prices correct on the 15/05/2013.
If you want to find out more, take a look at our guide to backpackers insurance.
What does backpackers insurance cover?
- Medical treatment can be surprisingly expensive abroad, so your medical costs and repatriation back to the UK could be covered if you get ill or injured whilst abroad
- Your bags and possessions could be covered for accidental loss, damage or theft; including your passport and money
- You could also be covered if you have to cancel your holiday and flights due to being too ill to travel, redundancy or family bereavement
- Some travel policies could also offer accident, liability or/and legal expenses cover which could come in handy if you come into any trouble whilst abroad. The Foreign Office advises that you research the areas that you're travelling to and get to know the local laws and regulations prior to travelling
"Decent website and found good prices"
"I have not changed insurance company for 5 years and I got 50% off. I cannot just help but to say that you are doing a very good job!!!"
"Very pleased with your efforts, saved about £150 to £160 by changing insurers and for the same coverage..."
"It is in my opinion the best comparison web site that I subscribe too. Everything is in an easy to use place and it is clear on detail. I will certainly recommend to others."
"I found your website easy to use. I saved money over my previous insurance. Well done "confused.com" for such a wonderful website and I will be coming back next year for another quote"