- Identification - In Thailand it is required to carry a passport with you at all times. However, its a good idea to carry a photocopy of your passport if you don't want to risk it being lost or stolen. When you photocopy your passport make sure you include - the photo and information section, stamped immigration card (that should be stapled into your passport upon your arrival at the airport), as well as the immigration stamp. There were cases when tourists were arrested because they were failed to provide their identification.
- LOCATE is a service provided by Foreign and Commonwealth Office for British nationals travelling to/living outside the UK. Register with LOCATE to keep record of where in Thailand you are traveling and where you will be staying, which will help if there is a sudden disaster in the area.
- Vaccinations are recommended, so make sure you contact your GP before travelling to check if you're up to date with your jabs and whether you require any vaccinations.
- Hiring a vehicle - Driving through Thailand is a great way to get a glimpse of the Thai culture and uncover any hidden areas it might have. If you're thinking of hiring a car or a motorbike, make sure you research the area you want to explore and whether the area you're travelling to provides hiring services. Check out our Guide to driving in Thailand for more information.
Thailand: Did you know?
is the capital city of Thailand and is the largest urban area of the country. Its name means ‘city of angels’.
- Top cities to visit in Thailand are Phuket, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Ko Samui and Pattaya.
- Thailand is a hot spot for backpackers and travellers drawn to the country to experience its culture, scenery and nightlife. Particular backpacker highlights include Bangkok's Khaosan Road
and the Full Moon Party
held every full moon on the island of Ko Pha Ngan
- In Thailand, it is believed that the head is the most important part of the body. Consequently, no one must ever touch another person on the head.
Confused.com’s Travel Insurance solution is provided by theIdol.com. theidol.com is a trading style of Investment Discounts On-Line Ltd and is regulated and authorised by the Financial Services Authority. Registered office; 3 Mason Court, Gillan Way, Penrith 40 Business Park, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 9GR. Registered in England no: 04231834