Holiday home insurance

Get cover for your hideaway with our preferred partner - Intasure

A villa with a swimming pool
I prefer a bungalow because I have a problem with stairs

What is holiday home insurance?

It's a policy that covers your holiday home from risks like theft and damage, which includes:

  • Buildings cover to protect your home's bricks and mortar
  • Contents cover to secure your personal possessions

If you let out your property to paying guests, you could find additional cover:

  • Accidental damage to protect your possessions from harm
  • Public liability to cover injuries caused on your property
  • Loss of income to compensate you if pre-booked guests are forced to cancel due to a claim

Looking to insure your caravan? You can compare insurance quotes for touring and static caravans by clicking here.

Why should I get holiday home insurance?

According to Holiday Lettings:

  • There are 1.7m holiday homes in the UK and 786,000 UK-owned homes overseas
  • 34% of holiday homes were paid for by the owners remortgaging their main home
  • 44% of long-term owners let out their holiday properties to cover running costs

As with any financial investment it makes sense to protect against risks that may leave you out of pocket if something goes wrong.

Getting cover could give you the peace of mind that comes from knowing that your property is protected against problems like storm damage and theft while you can't be there.

Whether your holiday hideaway is in a country like Spain, France or Italy, or closer to home in Ireland or the UK, it's likely that it will occasionally be left empty. It's important to always check your policy carefully to see exactly what's covered, country by country.

Why get cover with Instasure?

Standard home insurance policies don't tend to cover properties left vacant for more than 30 days at a time due to the increased risk.

  • If your home is empty for long periods it could become a target for thieves and squatters
  • It's hard to conduct regular home maintenance, so storm damage may worsen over time
  • If paying guests are staying you might need extra cover for damage and legal disputes

Your insurer could refuse to pay out on a claim if your holiday home is not covered for the risk of being unoccupied for longer than 30 days in a row.

At, we'd like you to think of us as insurance experts. Try looking at our guides, articles and videos for helpful home insurance tips and assistance.

Is your holiday home secure? Our article offers advice on beating the burglars in the sunny months, while our video guide highlights the dangers of sharing too much on social media when you go on holiday.

HelpMeMove is an interactive online checklist for moving home that helps you get organised and counts down the days until moving day.

read more

Get cover for your hideaway with Intasure

Holiday home insurance is arranged and administered by Intasure. Intasure is a trading name of Blenheim Park Ltd. Blenheim Park Ltd, Suffolk house, George Street, Croydon, Surrey, CR0 1PE, is registered in England with Company Number 4990061. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.(Firm reference number 311572).