What is public liability insurance & why would I need it?
It provides cover against claims made by members of the public who have suffered injury or damage (including to their property) in connection with the business, for example:
- A window cleaner who has left their ladder unattended and a passer-by is injured by it, or damages the glass of a window they're cleaning
- A cleaner who forgot to put a 'wet floor' sign out after mopping the floor and someone slips and injures themselves
If someone is severely injured in connection with a business, they could be entitled to claim a lot of money, and if you don't have the right cover in place, that claim could have to come out of your pocket, putting your livelihood on the line.
Compensation resulting from claims can include loss of earnings, future loss of earnings, damages that are awarded to the claimant, together with legal costs in defending against the claim, and also the claimant's legal costs that you would incur if you are found to be at fault.
It's good practice to have sufficient cover in place to protect yourself and your business against both claims of negligence which resulted in injury to a member of the public or damage to property.
Who might need public liability insurance cover?
The types of businesses that might need public liability insurance include:
- Window cleaners
- Plumbers & heating specialists
If you'd like to know more about public liability insurance, take a look at our small business guides section which includes information such as 'The importance of liability insurance' and 'Understanding public liability insurance'.
What do I need to get a quote?
As well as having details about you (your name, DOB, contact telephone number etc.) and your business (company/trading name, trading address) to compare quotes you'll need the following information:
- Details of your turnover and employee wageroll
- Details of any previous claims
- Your renewal documents from your current insurer (if you have one)
Need help? Call one of our experts on 0800 107 4792 (Mon-Fri: 9am - 9pm | Sat: 9am - 5pm)