Car selling FAQs

Got a question about selling your car? Get in touch

Looking for something else?

How do I sell my car through

It’s easy. Simply click the button on our ‘sell my car’ page to be taken through to our car-selling partner, Motorway. Then enter a few details about you and your car and you’ll be able to compare a wide range of car buyers and pick your best deal.

What information do I need to sell my car?

All you need to do to sell your car with our partner Motorway is enter your car’s reg. They’ll then ask you to enter your name, email address, phone number and postcode, as well as your car’s mileage. You’ll then be able to compare offers instantly.

Once you’ve selected the offer that’s right for you, and a car buyer has agreed a sale, they will pick up your vehicle or you can drive it to a drop-off point. You will need your V5C registration document and some ID ready on the day of sale. If you don’t have a V5C, you can apply for a new one from Some buyers also require your MOT certificate and your service/handbook.

Am I guaranteed to get the offer I see online?

With most of the car buyers who work with our car-selling partner Motorway, the online price that you’ll see depends on the information that you give them about your car. This price is not guaranteed and buyers will need to see photos or carry out an inspection to confirm a final offer.

Are there any age or mileage restrictions for selling my car?

Most customers will be able to get offers on their car from our car-selling partner Motorway , no matter how many miles its done. If your car has a higher mileage or is at the end of its working life, you may only get a limited number of online offers.

However, generally speaking, the number of offers you receive will depend on whether your car meets the car buyer’s needs.

How fast can I sell my car?

When you select an offer with our car-selling partner Motorway, the sale can happen in as little as 24-48 hours. If your car is eligible for Motorway’s Premium Service, then it can sometimes be sold the same day with the collection booked for the following working day.

How do I arrange to sell my car with one of the car buyers?

To sell your car with one of Motorway’s car buyers, simply select their offer in the comparison table. You’ll then be directed to their site to arrange the sale. There you can provide any additional information they may need and arrange the purchase of your car.

Is there a transaction fee?

Our car-selling partner Motorway is completely transparent about whether any of the car buyers they work with have transaction or admin fees. You can see any fees displayed in the comparison table of offers.

What if my car has scratches or mechanical problems?

You’ll still be able to get valuations if your car isn’t in perfect condition. As well as online car buyers and dealers, Motorway also works with a number of scrap and recycling buyers who will buy broken down or old, non-running vehicles.

Can I sell my car if it has outstanding finance?

You’ll have to contact your lender to see if it’s possible to get out of your contract early by paying an early settlement fee, which will need to be paid off before the car is sold. Motorway partner buyers can usually accept a settlement fee from your lender and can take it off the value of your car and settle your debt. Remember, it’s illegal to sell your car with outstanding finance if you don’t let your lender know.

Will my car be collected?

Most car buyers that our car-selling partner Motorway display do provide a collection service. So instead of you going to them, they’ll come to you. This service is usually free, and can be arranged within 24 hours. Any collection fee will be clearly shown in their comparison table.

If you are selling through their Premium Service, buyers usually offer free home collection too. However, if you’d rather drop your car off at the buyer’s dealership premises, you can also select that option in most cases.

Can I sell a car with a private licence plate?

It depends on the buyer, so be sure to check when you get your prices. If you want to keep your private licence plate, you’ll have to contact the DVLA and fill in the relevant forms to transfer your plate.

If you don’t have a car that you can transfer the plate on to, you’ll have to transfer it to a retention certificate. You’ll then get a document to prove you still have the right to use that number plate.

My car is a write off, can I still sell it?

Yes, Motorway works with a number of scrap buyers who will buy broken down or old, non-running vehicles.

Looking to sell your car?

Compare quotes from well-known brands and get the best price for your car!

Dark blue icon of a car with a key

Car insurance

Compare cheap car insurance quotes from up to 120 car insurance providers.