1. Home
  2. Car insurance

Wedding name change checklist

You've said "I do", you've had the party and now you need to face the admin that comes with tying the knot. This checklist for changing your name after marriage should come in handy and help you remember what important documents need to be updated.

From car insurance policy documents to making the marriage Facebook official, here's what you need to change when you get married.

Wedding name change checklist


Changing name after marriage checklist

Top priority name changes after marriage

  • Driving licence -  Fill in form D1 with the DVLA .

  • Car insurance policy details - Contact your car insurance provider and ask them to update the name on your insurance certificate.

  • Passport - You can still use your old passport until it expires. Just make sure you use the same name on any travel documents.

  • Car registration - This is the V5C logbook. You must also include a note stating that you've changed your name. 

  • HM Revenue and Customs - This needs to be updated through the online Government Gateway.

  • Electoral roll - You can change your details on the GOV.UK register to vote page.

  • Your employer - Check with your HR department around the process on updating your name

Compare car insurance quotes

The utilities you need to change your name for after marriage

  • Local council (council tax) - Find your local council to access their services

  • Water supplier - Contact your water provider's customer service team to update your details. If you don't know who supplies your water, check Water UK.

  • Gas and electricity suppliers - Depending on who provides energy. you might be able to do this online

  • TV licence - You can update your details on the TV licensing website.

  • Home phone/broadband provider - Get in touch with your supplier and ask them to update your details.

  • Mobile phone provider - Check with your provider on how best to do this. Some suppliers might insist you request the name change in writing.

Finance and insurance name changes

When changing your name with these providers, check your online account first to see if you're able to amend your details there. If not, contact your provider's customer service department and request the name change.

Changing your name with online and local amenities

  • Doctor - Most GPs should be able to change your name at your local surgery. Either give them a call or pop into reception.

  • Dentist - As with the GP, you should be able to update your details by speaking to the receptionist.

  • Shop loyalty accounts  - Most shop loyalty accounts that require your name have an online account you can access

  • Online shopping accounts - Especially accounts that deliver items to you eg. Amazon, eBay, Etsy

  • Email address - If you use your real name as part of your email 

  • Social media profiles - Because it's not official until it's Facebook official! 


Do I have to change my name after marriage?

Not at all. Your marriage certificate is a record of you getting married, not changing your name. You don't have to change a thing if you don't want to.

In some circumstances, you can use your married name and your original name in different contexts. For example, you could use your married name socially but retain your original name for all legal documents.

If you're not in love with the idea of taking your partner's surname, there are a few options available to you:

  • Keep your name as it is

  • Use a double-barrel surname

  • Create a new name that's a hybrid of yours and your partner's surname

  • Craft an entirely new surname for your new family


How do I change my name on my house deeds after marriage in the UK?

Many banks and mortgage providers check your name against the Land Registry when offering services. If the name you've given them doesn't match what's on the register, they might not be able to offer you their services.

To update your name on the Land Registry, here's what you do:

  • Check whether your name is correct on the Land Registry This costs £3 to do.

  • Download and fill in an AP1 form.

  • Include a certified copy of your marriage certificate

  • Send the forms by post to HM Land Registry Citizen Centre, PO Box 74, Gloucester, CL14 9BB.


How do I change my name on my house deeds if I married abroad?

The steps to update your name are largely the same as if you got married in the UK.

The only difference is if your marriage certificate isn't in English. If this is the case, you need to get it signed, stamped and dated by a qualified translation service. For more information, visit GOV.UK.