Get the code
Adding up a Night on the Town
It’s closing time at the bar in the wee hours of the morning, and now that you’re starting to see double, your stomach is starting to grumble. You’ve already consumed empty calories from booze, but the drunk munchies are in full force. Everyone’s got a hangover cure. So, what late-night food do you grab in your part of the world to combat the impending headache? We look at the popular post-drinking meals and add up those calories already consumed from your alcoholic beverages, while we’re at it.
SECTION 1: A Cure for What Ails You:
No matter where you are in the world, try these native hangover cures to ease a pounding head after a night of drinking.
• Fricasé: a spicy yellow chili, garlic, and cumin-infused pork stew, thickened with crumbled bread, hominy, and potato.
A hangover is called “goma” in Spanish.
• “Reparationsbajer,” also known as a fix-it brewster or a “recovery beer”, is what does the trick for the Danish.
• Full Irish breakfast of bacon, sausages, eggs, vegetables and potato all fried in creamery butter, washed down with a fix-it brew.
• Spicy, flavorful foods; espresso; and fruit juice.
• Shijimi soup, raw egg, miso soup, or umeboshi (pickled plums).
• Haejangguk: translated as “soup to remove a hangover.” Sold out of street carts, this soup is a mix of coagulated ox blood, cabbage, cow bones, pork spine, and vegetables.
• Pickle juice, tipped out from the jar.
• Broad rice noodles combined with fish sauce, soy sauce, bean sprouts, meat or tofu, and a large dose of spice.
• Kokoreç: a streetcar dish served on toasted bread that is made of suckling lamb intestines, chopped tomato, thyme ande, pepper. Heart, kidneys and lungs are also popular.
• A prairie oyster: raw egg whisked with Worcestershire sauce, paired with Coca-Cola or coffee.
• Salty, greasy, fatty foods like bacon, eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches, or anything fried.
Section 2: Those Calories Count
Let’s add up what the night of drinking can amount to:
• 1 shot of gin, whiskey, tequila, vodka, or rum = 50 to 70 calories
• 1 regular beer = 150 calories
• 1 light beer = 110 calories
• 35ml gin and tonic = 128 calories
This or That?
• 5 pints of lager a week for a year = eating 221 doughnuts (44,200kcal)
• 3 cans of beer = eating a whole sandwich (551 calories)
• 1 medium glass of wine = 1 bag of crisps (275 calories)
• 1 bottle of alcopop = 1 onion ring (143 calories)
• 2 bottles of beer = whole sirloin steak (275 calories)
The average wine drinker in England takes in around 2,000 extra calories per month.
• For a typical adult, binge drinking is defined as consuming 5 or more drinks in about 2 hours for men, or 4 or more drinks for women.
Section 3: Halt That Hangover
Before you go out, keep a few tips in mind to save yourself some excess calories after-the-fact.
• Eat a good meal before you start drinking. Fatty foods digest slowly and protect your stomach from the irritating effects of alcohol.
• Drink a glass of milk; it protects the stomach and slows the absorption of alcohol.
• While you’re out, drink water between alcoholic beverages to limit and balance with the amount of booze you consume.
• Walking home in fresh air can help reduce the effects of a hangover.
• Before bed, drink a pint of water and some orange juice. Vitamin C helps to speed up the body’s metabolism of alcohol by the liver.
• Eat some toast to settle your stomach, which is probably feeling pretty shaky right about now.
SOURCES: BBC, The National Health Service, DrinkAware.co.uk, Matador Network
Your bio is currently empty. Now is a great time to fill in your profile.
This profile is private.
This profile is only shared with friends.
This profile is under review.
We were unable to request friendship with this user.
We were unable to request friendship with this user. Are you logged in?
Your friendship request has been sent to this user.
We were unable to terminate friendship with this user.
We were unable to terminate friendship with this user. Are you logged in?
You are no longer friends with this user.
We were unable to ignore this user.
We were unable to ignore this user. Are you logged in?
This user is now ignored.
We were unable to stop ignoring this user.
We were unable to stop ignoring this user. Are you logged in?
This user is no longer ignored.
We encountered a problem recommending this user.
You have recommended this user.
Please limit your comment length to less than 2000 characters.
What Do You Think?
Thanks for submitting your comment. It will appear after editor approval.
We were unable to post your comment to Twitter.
We were unable to post your comment to Facebook.
We were unable to post your comment to LinkedIn.
We restrict rapid posting of multiple comments for quality reasons. You have already posted a comment within the last several seconds. Please try again later.
We limit the number of comments, reviews, and postings an individual user can submit over a given period for quality reasons. You have currently reached that limit. Please try resubmitting your comment again later.
We are unable to add your comment at this time.
We are unable to add your comment. Are you logged in?
We will not add your comment until you remove the following words: .
We're sorry, but the comment you are replying to has been removed from the site.
Please let us know what you think.
Please shorten your comment to characters.
characters left character left characters must be removed character must be removed
To leave a comment, you need to sign up.
Write a reply
We're sorry. We were unable to report abuse at this time.
We limit the number of reactions an individual user can submit over a given period for quality reasons. You have currently reached that limit. Please try resubmitting your abuse report again later.
Comment is too long. Enter 500 characters or less.
You may send this to 5 e-mail addresses. Please separate each address with a space.
We're sorry, but the item you are sending has been removed from the site.
We're sorry. We were unable to send the email at this time.
Please specify a recipient.
You can only send messages to 5 addresses at a time.
The address "" is not valid.
Please specify a subject.
Score vote upvotes up vote downvotes down
Get a life quote
© Copyright 2008 - 2014 Confused.com. All rights reserved.
3rd Floor, Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Road,
Confused.com is a trading name of Inspop.com Limited and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority