Skip navigation
Lois Avery

Newlyweds take note: Don’t start married life underinsured


Before walking up the aisle or setting sail on honeymoon, there are a few things couples should do to ensure their new possessions are safe.

Bride and groom opening champagne

Between gifts, rings and the wedding dress, the value of a newlywed couple's belongings can soar overnight.

So if you're planning to get married, take a look at how best to protect your big day as well as making sure you're covered from the beginning of your married life.

Protecting the rings

Thanks to jewellery pedlars in the 1930s, some people believe that engagement rings need to cost one month's salary.

These days, the average cost of an engagement ring exceeds £2,000. That's a fair amount of bling you're walking around with.

Add to that the wedding ring and your left hand alone could be worth more than your car. That's why it's worth looking at getting them covered.

Any single item with a value of more than £1,000 should be listed on your contents insurance policy as a high-value item.

This means that your rings should be covered for theft and most damage. At least you won't have to shell out thousands of pounds to replace them if something happens.

What about the dress?

Depending on how lavish you want the wedding to be, the perfect dress can cost into hundreds, if not thousands.

It might not seem obvious to insure specific clothes under your home insurance, a wedding dress should be an exception. 

If you're planning on storing the dress in your home before the big day, then be sure to add it to your contents policy.

Both the dress and rings should be listed as "personal possessions" - this way they'll be covered outside the home as well as inside. 

Doing this could also give you the benefit of them being covered on your honeymoon as well.

What about the wedding gifts?

Gift box

Although more couples these days want cash as a wedding gift rather than a present, you're still likely to walk away from the ceremony with more toasters than when you came in.

More stuff in the house means the value of your belongings has increased, which means you may need extra cover. 

Check your existing policy

There’s a chance that your home insurance policy may provide some additional cover for your wedding presents at no extra cost.

Have a chat with your insurer to see if your policy allows for some leeway when it comes to special occasions like this.

What usually happens is the value of items covered under the policy is temporarily increased for a few weeks either side of the event.

This gives you enough time to finish the wedding planning, get married and go on honeymoon without worrying about covering those extra gifts.

After this time period, you'll need to re-calculate the value of your belongings and either update your insurer or shop around for a cheaper insurance quote.

Wedding insurance

The great debate is whether or not you should take out an insurance policy on the wedding itself.

The rings, dress and presents may be covered, but what if your photographer decides not to show up?

What if someone leaves the cake out in the rain?

What if, for whatever reason, you have to cancel the wedding entirely?

Some companies offer specialise wedding insurance that is meant to cover these sorts of events. Before you go for it, think about if you really need it.

If you pay for the wedding services by credit card, anything between £100 and £30,000 is covered under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

This lets you claim money back from your credit-card provider if there are problems with the wedding that count as a breach of contract, such as the caterers not turning up or the venue being double-booked.


Compare home insurance

Find buildings and contents insurance for your home, quickly and easily with

Get a quote

Related articles

Home insurance

Compare up to 65 home insurance providers.

Get a quote