Covid-19: Latest updates and relevant information

Last updated Friday 6 August

In England

Most Covid restrictions in England have been lifted. This means:

  • The two-metre social distancing rule is no longer in place
  • You no longer have to work from home
  • Wearing face coverings is now a personal choice
  • There are no longer restrictions on attendance for weddings and funerals.
  • All business are able to open.

For more information, visit GOV.UK.


In Wales

From Saturday 7 August, Wales will move to Level Zero. This means:

  • There are no limits on how many people can meet indoors or outdoors
  • All businesses can reopen
  • Face coverings aren't a legal a requirement where food and drink is served
  • Face coverings will be required in other indoor spaces and on public transport
  • Children under 18 and fully-vaccinated adults don't need to isolate if they come into contact with someone who has coronavirus.

For more information visit GOV.WALES.


In Scotland

Scotland is at Level Zero. This means:

  • You can meet up to eight people from four households at home
  • You can meet up to 10 people from four households in an indoor public place
  • Up to 15 people from 15 households can meet outdoors
  • Your group does not have to socially distance. But you should stay at least one-metre away from other groups
  • You can travel anywhere in Scotland
  • You should continue to work from home where possible
  • Nightclubs must stay closed. But all other businesses are open.

Visit GOV.SCOT for more information.


In Northern Ireland

  • Up to six people from no more than two households can meet indoors and stay overnight. Children under 12 don't count towards this.

  • Up to 15 people can from no more than three households can meet outdoors in a private garden.

  • Continue to work from home where you can.

  • All hospitality and tourist accommodation can open.

  • All visitor attractions can open.

  • Face coverings must be worn in all retail and indoor public places.

For more information visit NI.GOV.


International travel

The amber and green international travel lists are changing all the time. So, it's best to check before you travel.

For more information, visit the amber list instructions on the GOV.UK website.

How does the pandemic impact day-to-day life? 

As we all try and adapt to the new normal, we at understand that there are lot of questions and confusions. We’ve put together some information to help clear things up: 



Driving and insurance 

Do I need to tell my insurance company that my driving habits have changed? 

You should speak to your insurer if your driving habits have changed since taking out the policy. As the new ways we commute and get about become routine, it's important to ensure your policy accurately reflects how you use your car. For more information, visit the Association of British Insurers.

READ MORE: Coronavirus: impact on drivers


My vehicle is due for its MOT. What do I do?

MOTs are running as normal. If your MOT is due, you should book it in as soon as you can.

You should take your vehicle to the garage immediately if you notice something wrong. You can still be prosecuted for driving an unsafe vehicle.

If you’re vulnerable or self-isolating and your car needs a repair or your MOT is due, contact your local garage. They may offer safe pick-up and drop-off services.

To keep an eye on your MOT end date and get a notification when it's due, download our app.


Check MOT and tax

Download the app to find out your MOT and tax dates, and set reminders so you never miss a date.

Apple store logo button Google Play logo button


Working from home and home insurance

I’m working from home. Do I need to tell my insurer?

If you're office-based and you're working from home, you don't need to update your policy unless:

  • You have visitors to your home for business reasons
  • You store business items at your home
  • You've done major work on your house  to accommodate you working from home.

For more information, visit the Association of British Insurers (ABI).

Is my work laptop covered?

If your company has given you a laptop or equipment, it should be covered under their insurance. Check with your employer to be sure.


What about my broadband and energy bills?

If you’re at home full time, you’re bound to see your energy bills rise. If your workplace doesn't cover expenses for heating and broadband usage, you could claim tax relief.

Visit GOV.UK for more information.

READ MORE: How to reduce your energy costs during the pandemic


Life insurance

I’ve got an income protection policy. Will it cover me if I can’t work because of coronavirus?

If you took out your policy before 18 March 2020 it should cover you if you can’t work due to illness.

Many income protection policies have an initial waiting period. Depending on how long this is, you may not be able to claim if you’re self-isolating and can’t work for a few weeks.


Will a life insurance policy cover me or my partner if we need to make a claim due to coronavirus?

Your life insurance company should handle it like it would any other claim as set out in their policy terms. But it’s best to get in touch with them to check as the specifics of each policy may differ.

You can still get life insurance, though the company may ask you questions related to coronavirus before you can get a policy.



Will the pandemic mean a disruption to my energy supply?

No. Energy suppliers are all working as normal. They still have to meet the same standards of service and supply.


Now that my family are all living and working at home, our energy bills have gone up. What if we can’t afford them?

If you’re struggling with bills, your supplier might review your payment plan or give you a payment holiday.

Make sure you speak to your supplier as soon as you can. For more information about coronavirus and your energy, take a look at the advice from Ofgem.

The maximum rate for energy has also been cut, which could help you as we go into winter.

READ MORE: The energy price cap explained


Your pets

Can my pet catch coronavirus?

There have been some rare cases where pets have caught coronavirus from their owners.

But it’s better to be safe than sorry. If you’re self-isolating, limit contact with your pet where you can.

Keep cats indoors if you can and ask a friend or family member to walk your dog.

There's currently no evidence that humans can catch it from animals, though.

For more information, visit GOV.UK


My pet needs to see a vet but I’m self-isolating. What should I do?

Get in touch with the vet. Some vets offer online consultations, or they may be able to give you advice over the phone.

READ MORE: Looking after your pets during the pandemic


Your business

Will my business interruption insurance cover me for lost income?

Your policy might cover business interruptions due to illness or disease. But, coronavirus is a new illness that probably isn't listed on your policy.

So the bad news is you likely won’t be covered. It's best to get in touch with your insurer to find out how they're responding to this crisis.

Help is available from the government. You can apply for a Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan.


I'm an employer. What happens if many people are off sick?

The government is letting businesses claim back two weeks of Statutory Sick Pay for every employee off due to coronavirus.

Find out more about the support to businesses available on the GOV.UK website.