Looking for other types of travel insurance?
Taking part in adventure activities abroad could increase your risk of falling ill
Make sure to save by comparing group travel insurance
We make your search for worldwide travel cover easy
See all the types of specialist travel insurance
What is winter sports travel insurance?
Winter sports are becoming increasingly popular and varied, meaning that there is an increasing risk of injuring yourself on the snow.
The European Health Insurance Card
- The right level of cover is essential - particularly if you need to be rescued, transported home, or have ongoing medical treatment
- Travel insurance policies that are part of a package with a bank account are usually standard policies and might not cover winter sports activities
- Most policies offer a 24 hour helpline in an emergency, so you've peace of mind in any time zone
(EHIC) could provide you with emergency healthcare for EU countries, but it will not pay for transportation, repatriation costs and it does not cover long-term treatment.
Check out our article on why it's recommended to get winter sports cover.
What could winter sports travel insurance cover?
- Loss or damage of your winter sports equipment
- Most policies offer cover for piste closures, meaning that you could be compensated if the piste is closed due to lack of snow or strong winds
- Some policies provide an off-piste cover (check if your policy covers this and you might have to be accompanied by an instructor)
You could also be covered with standard travel insurance features:
- Emergency medical treatment if you get injured on the slopes
- Transportation costs to the hospital and repatriation back to the UK
- Cancellations to your holiday if you are forced to cancel your trip due to extreme weather conditions
- Baggage cover if your items are stolen, accidentally lost or damaged
Do you have a travel insurance related question? Check our answers.
"Decent website and found good prices"
"I have not changed insurance company for 5 years and I got 50% off. I cannot just help but to say that you are doing a very good job!!!"
"Very pleased with your efforts, saved about £150 to £160 by changing insurers and for the same coverage..."
"It is in my opinion the best comparison web site that I subscribe too. Everything is in an easy to use place and it is clear on detail. I will certainly recommend to others."
"I found your website easy to use. I saved money over my previous insurance. Well done "confused.com" for such a wonderful website and I will be coming back next year for another quote"