- European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) - This entitles you to the necessary medical treatment at a reduced cost, sometimes even for free while you are in France (it’s part of the European Economic Area). As well as having EHIC, a valid travel insurance gives you an extra level of protection. Don't forget to apply for EHIC if you don't already have it.
- Thinking of driving in France? - Don’t forget that your driving licence and car insurance documents should be on you at all times when you're behind the wheel in France, and most importantly don’t forget to drive on the right-hand side of the road! For more information about speed limits and driving guidelines - check out our guide to driving in France.
- Getting around - You can travel by train, by Metro, drive or even bike around France. Many large cities like Paris offer a free bike scheme for a short period of time.
France: Did you know?
- The one-time language of diplomacy, French is the official language in France but there are many variants, including Alsatian, Catalan, Breton and many others, not all officially recognised but spoken none the less.
- There are many food and wine tours of France; such is the popularity of the country's cuisine.
- France is one of the most popular holiday destinations in the world and is consistently in the top 10 for the number of tourists it gets.
- It is illegal to take pictures of the police officers and their vehicles in France.
Confused.com’s Travel Insurance solution is provided by theIdol.com. theidol.com is a trading style of Investment Discounts On-Line Ltd and is regulated and authorised by the Financial Services Authority. Registered office; 3 Mason Court, Gillan Way, Penrith 40 Business Park, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 9GR. Registered in England no: 04231834