Cathy Bacon from the European Driving Schools Association gives Confused.com editor Sharon Flaherty her top ecodriving tips.
5 Ecodriving tips for reducing your fuel consumption
- Check your tyre pressure regularly
Under-inflated tyres will lead to greater fuel consumption.
- Remove roof boxes and other exterior accessories
These increase the drag on the car.
- Anticipate traffic flow and read the road well ahead
Try and keep the car moving. This is preferable to stop-start driving.
- Shift up gears earlier than usual
You can move up the gears much earlier than you expect. Higher gears save on fuel.
- Drive smoothly and keep your distance
Smooth driving is more efficient than heavy braking and rapid acceleration.
How much are you spending on petrol or diesel? Use our handy fuel cost calculator to find out.